New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 266309)

Captain Fantastic - None of the flippers work

By hobson62

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by hobson62
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

#1 6 months ago

My Bally Captain Fantastic arcade version powers up, and the bumpers, rollovers, etc. all work. Everything except the 4 flippers. Before they totally went out they started becoming intermittent. The failure mode was either all of them worked or none of them did.

I did recently fix one flipper that had a broken return spring.

I have reset the plugs that connect the playfield to the innards and and checked the connections to the flipper assemblies. I am at a loss. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Mike

#2 6 months ago

see if the EOS switches are clean on the lower inner flippers , (well all of them actually)

#3 6 months ago

If your sure it's not the flipper button switches themselves the only thing left in the path before the coil are the jones plugs. Check your Jones plug connections at 83-6 and 78-4.

#4 6 months ago

Were they intermittent before you replaced the spring? If not, then it sounds like you have perhaps broken a power cable running to the flipper coil that had the spring fitted.

Or, if not, then have you connected the Jones plugs correctly, I.e fully seated? Are you certain you haven't mis-plugged one of them, I.e a 10 pin plug only connecting to 8 females with two not connected? I would carefully inspect everything where you have been with your hands, has to be something easy to find.

#5 6 months ago

1) Run an Alligator Clip jumper wire from the transformer's terminal 8 with thick yellow wire(s) to the yellow wire on the right flipper button.

2) And run an Alligator Clip jumper wire from the 10 amp fuse with thick black wire(s) to the red wire on the bottom right flipper solenoid.

3) If the bottom right flipper starts working, the problem is in the electrical feed, and not in the flipper mechanisms.

#6 6 months ago

OK - I will check the EOS switches, check all the plugs, do the alligator clip thing.

But I have one question as a nebie to EM repair, when efefnefy says "If your sure it's not the flipper button switches themselves the only thing left in the path before the coil are the jones plugs. Check your Jones plug connections at 83-6 and 78-4." How do I tell what 78-4 and 83-6 are?

Thanks! I really appreciate all the help!!

Mike

#7 6 months ago

I think I figured it out. It refers to two pins on one of the jones plugs. Thanks for bearing with me! I am learning.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manalapan Township, NJ
$ 22.50
999 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Lakeport, CA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 129.25
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 23.00
$ 259.99
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 29.95
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 85.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside