• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by chas10e
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cap2JPG (resized).JPG
cap1 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyF.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I'm hoping this is a simple fix and someone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to get this pin up quickly for some guests to play.

Game seems to play as normal with one exception - there sometimes is no scoring, bonus advance or chime when a ball passes over any of the 3 left or 3 right lit rollover stars. I do get the normal 3,000 bonus advance (and the corresponding chime noise) when a ball goes down the A or B lanes when they are lit. There are no locked on chime coils. I do get proper scoring and chime when the ball passes over the 6 rollover stars when they are not lit.

Where to look first??

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

I'd suspect a set of dirty contacts on that for those roll-overs

I'll clean the contacts on the alternator relay in the morning and see if that does the trick!

I just edited post #1 to revise the symptoms to be more correct. I did some test plays with the glass off this evening. Everything worked correctly for the first couple of plays, then the symptom started again. Sometimes there is no scoring, bonus advance or chime when a ball passes over any of the 3 left or 3 right lit rollover stars. I do get the normal scoring, 3,000 bonus advance and the corresponding chime noise when a ball goes down the A or B lanes when they are lit. There are no locked on chime coils. I do get proper scoring and chime when the ball passes over the 6 rollover stars when they are not lit.

I also noticed that the Over the Top buzzer sounded at player 1 rollover time, but the 100,000 light didn't light. Something else to look at in the morning....

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Check the RO switches as well.

Hmm, trying to understand. The problem is intermittent, but when it occurs pressing any of the 6 rollovers does not result in any action (again, only when the rollovers are lit). Could there be a rollover issue that would cause that symptom?

#8 6 years ago

I found the Alt relay (it is on the bottom side of the playfield near the flippers, not in the cabinet or backbox). I cleaned all the contacts with strips of a business card. I then manually operated the relay back and forth to watch the contact connections. When a contact made connection I would see the non-moving blade bend slightly. Except for one blade which appeared to not be gapped right (barely making a connection or not quite making a connection) so I regapped that blade. Played several test games and those rollover switches appear to be working fine now!

Quoted from 4Max:

So, you need to find the Alt relay, and find, clean and gap the switch that has a Blue with Red trace wire to one blade and a Brown with yellow trace wire to the other blade .

I will have to check the wire colors on that relay tomorrow to see if the blade I regapped is one of the colors you listed! Thanks for the picture snippet. I don't look at these EM games very often, but when I do I'm amazed all over again at the creativity of the designers of the mechanics of these machines!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

the over the top relays are in the backbox, great idea mentioned above to check the bulb first

So, quick question. I remember there is a circuit path to trip the over the top buzzer (momentary using a bulb as the timing device?), and maybe a different one to activate and leave activated the over the top light bulb. I'm guessing the second path (the one for the over the top light bulb) is the path whereby the machine also knows you have rolled it so that it can interpret for example the achievement of of a >100k replay score. Does this sound right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyF.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-no-bonus-from-lit-rollovers?tu=RoyF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.