• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
100 point coil switched spark (resized).jpg
100 point coil switches flash (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I recently picked up my first pin from a friend that was moving and had to unload it. It's a coin-op and looks like it's seen some heavy use. When I got it, it started up and ran fairly well, but the rubber was wasted, some bulbs are out and only the two lower flippers work (the left one is very weak and only serves to send the ball over the the right one for a righteous launch). I've gotten some great info already from the Pinside forums, picked up the manuals/schematic and started the cosmetic restore - got rubber from Pinball Resource, cleaned playfield and replaced rubber. since the machine was working pretty well, I've been playing it and getting more familiar with it, but recently a couple of issues have come up.

Last week the playfield lights went out, but otherwise the machine kept working. Per recommendations, I've pulled and reset the Jones plugs under the playfield, but no luck. Today I pulled the Jones plug on the side panel and cleaned/reset it - when I turned the machine back on and pushed the play button, a loud hum came from the back box. I've heard this before when a ball would get stuck behind one of the old rubber rings and keep a switch open. I opened the back box and can see that there appear to be a couple of switches on the 100 Point coil that are sparking and staying closed (see attached images).

I'm not very good with electronics, so haven't been able track the issue down in the schematic and I'd appreciate any help before I burn up anything or do further damage. I don't know if it's relevant, but when in the process of cleaning the Jones plug, I lifted the playfield up and stood it in 'service mode' (per a video I accessed on another post) instead of propping it up with the side rod - maybe this dislodged something?.

Thanks in advance! - I look forward to replies and will be following up as the restore progresses.

Bill

100 point coil switched spark (resized).jpg100 point coil switched spark (resized).jpg100 point coil switches flash (resized).jpg100 point coil switches flash (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Only happening when starting a game?

Maybe rollover stuck closed or leaf switch stuck after replacement of rubber rings.

Assuming this is it, look for things that give you 100 points lit or unlit. Despite having two in my basement I can’t remember the point rules for it.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from beelyhol:

there appear to be a couple of switches on the 100 Point coil that are sparking and staying closed

Assuming you mean the 100 Point relay:

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Maybe rollover stuck closed or leaf switch stuck after replacement of rubber rings.

Found the stuck rollover (Left side bonus) - thanks! When I held it open, the loud hum from the 100 point relay stopped and if I let it go it would start again. I adjusted the switch and it stays normally open and closes when I activate the rollover, however when I turn the machine back on now it won't start up when I push the play button.

The switch on that looks okay and makes contact when pushed. The lights come on and I hear a low hum which I imagine is the transformer which may just be audible due to the cabinets being open (I don't recall hearing this during normal turn on when the glass is on and all closed).

I'll ck the forum as I've seen past advice about this issue, but if you have any places I should start looking, please let me know.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from beelyhol:

it won't start up when I push the play button.

If pushing the Credit button doesn't activate the Credit relay,
inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.
Start with the 2nd and 3rd coin chute switches because switches on the door are exposed to abuse.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 2 years ago
Quoted from beelyhol:

The lights come on and I hear a low hum which I imagine is the transformer which may just be audible due to the cabinets being open (I don't recall hearing this during normal turn on when the glass is on and all closed).

There's a toggle relay that manipulates the lights on or off or their certain pattern that alternates. That's the sound you hear and is harmless. If you feel like getting picky you can smooth things out.

#7 2 years ago

If it's not on free play, the game will need credits on the credit/replay unit, you can put some on manually by activating the step up coil plunger on the credit unit.

#8 2 years ago

Success! I can't thank you enough - i thought I'd be dead in the water for a while.

So, when the machine 'went dead', I had 25 credits up and the playfield was up against the backglass and I couldn't see that it had reset to 0. I had tried putting coins in the slot, but they just dropped into the coin return. I manually set a credit as suggested and it came to life. Additionally, I replaced all the fuse holders as Steve @PBR suggested and the playfield lights came on. Now I've replaced all weak or burned out bulbs and it's playing quite well. I've ordered some alligator jumpers and circuit breakers for future diagnosing.

Next project will be to get the 2 inop flippers working and to get full life back into the weak one. Should I start a new thread for this or continue all aspects of the restore in this one? I'll check historical posts and be doing some research before starting

Once again, THANK YOU! This forum is truly a precious resource and a great community that I am honored to be able to partake in; hopefully in the future I'll be able provide a small bit of guidance for someone in need.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-newbie-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.