• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gib.jpg
IMG_1957.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I was working on a Captain Fantastic for a friend, and the initial problem was that none of the lights in the game would work. No GI, no insert lights. The game played fine otherwise. After some poking around, I found a connector with a burnt pin right next to the plumb bob.

IMG_1957.JPGIMG_1957.JPG

At the recommendation of another pinball tech, I cut the wire from the pin and soldered it directly to the lug on the female side of the connector. That worked for a while, but then things started flaking out again. We didn't do any more work on it other than cleaning and re-seating all the various connectors, but by the time we were done, we had no GI, no playfield lamps, no flippers, no pop bumpers, so slingshots, and little to no scoring from switches. The credit knocker still worked when we would manually trigger the coin switch, and the drop targets would reset when all were knocked down.

I don't really know enough about how EMs work to be able to know where to isolate the problem. It has to be centrally located. I have the schematic, but it doesn't quite help me get a general idea about how an EM actually works.

The guide on pinrepair.com (as well as most guides) tend to go over the scoring reels and stepper units, which is understandable. But while I have an understanding of how special solenoids and GI work on solid state machines, I'm still a bit in the dark about how they work on an EM.

Can anyone give me some advice, or at least a quick course in how these various circuits work?

#6 9 years ago

When I test the fuse clips near the front-left of the cabinet, I get continuity between them, regardless of whether or not a fuse is in the clip. I have heard that this is normal. That seems weird to me, considering what the point of a fuse is.

Anyway, with fuses in the clips, and me testing the fuses themselves while in the clips, I get solid continuity. I don't think the clips are the problem.

Let's assume that anything that plugs into something else has been checked for burns and bad connectivity, which is how I found the initial burned pin on the front-left connecter by the plumb bob.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.50
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-lots-of-stuff-not-working?tu=UvulaBob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.