New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 144149)

Captain Fantastic Lamp Problem

By troxel

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by troxel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

cflights.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I replaced the pop bumpers along with new light sockets and now having problems with the lights. The only lights working on the playfield are the ones connected to the blue wire. If I jumper the blue wire to the red/yellow wire, then they all work.

Getting zero ohms from the metal wire to both the brown/white and red/yellow. (Both wires that connect to the pop bumper socket). I looked to see if the metal wire was shorting on the pop bumper bracket, and it wasn't.

Not sure what's the best method to troubleshoot this? Hopefully something easy.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I would start with the ALT Relay
cflights.jpg

#3 4 years ago

Sorry for the dumb question, but where is the physical location of the alt. relay? Nothing is labeled inside the game.

#4 4 years ago

Hi troxel
Whenever You WORK on the pin: UNPLUG the Line-Cord ! Do not only toggle the Main-Power-Switch, do pull the Line-Cord. I want you to have a look at the fuses - they are neatly packed side by side - ONE fuse is for 110 VAC, I do not want YOU touching 110 VAC Power.

ipdb.org has a schema: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=438 - I must make a copy of the schema (down) onto my computer: "Right-Hand-side" Mouse-Click -> Save Target as ...

I read your description and I look at the schema. At schema-A-4 / B-4 I see TWO fuses (of 15 Amp). The first fuse then has Wire-Blue feeding playfield-lamps. This fuse is good. So the other fuse is in question.

I see (schema-B-2) the 8 Amp fuse for 110 VAC. At E-3 / -4, F-3 / -4 I see the 10 Amp fuse for the 50 VAC (Relays and Units). I do not see more fuses in the schema.

Unplug the Line-Cord. Look for the fuses. Can You find the 15 Amp fuses ? Take them out, have a close look at the fuse-holders - clean ? good (nothing broken) ? wires soldered-on ?
Put the "good" fuse (wire-Blue) into the socket of the other fuse. I cannot clearly see in the schema "what color": Is it "80" or "90" or "50" ? Well, on the other lug these fuse-holders have the same wire soldered-on ...

Plug-in the Line-Cord and start a game -> Do other lamps light-up ? If so: the "fuse in question" is shot -> get a new one.
If not (so): We must follow the wires -> check Switches on Game-Over-Relay.
Please report, Greetings Rolf

#5 4 years ago

To find the alternating relay, with the playfield lifted, hit a rebound rubber repeatedly while searching underneath for the relay, you'll find it rather easily, no label needed. It should be turning on and off. May as well clean the 2 switches the 50 wire, (white wire), switch blade tranfers between when you find it.

Since both the 13 and 65 wires show nothing, I'd check the switch that the 50 wire, (white wire), goes to at the game over relay. Bally added this switch to turn off feature lighting at game over.

#6 4 years ago

Such good information from everyone. Thank you. Boatcat was right with the switch that turns on and off the feature lights. Game is now working the way it should!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manalapan Township, NJ
$ 22.50
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
BK Pinball
$ 7.00
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 209.99
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside