• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JethroP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 3.55.42 AM (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

The previous owner(s) of my table have set it up for free play. I've not investigated the mechanism by which they did this, but I noticed that the first relay on the right-hand side (when looking from the coin slot) is permanently energized and that it is running quite hot. Is this is a normal configuration to enable free play and/or is the constant-on status of the relay likely to cause any problems (other than the relay burning out early)?

#2 3 years ago

There are two relays that are always energized in your machine when the power switch is on. One is on the coin door. The other one, I think the one you are referring to, is on the motor board on the bottom of the cabinet. It is called the LOCK relay. It is normal for the coil to be warm, but not hot. The coil was likely replaced some time in the past with the wrong coil.

The LOCK relay by the way is not part of the configuration to set up free play.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

The coil was likely replaced some time in the past with the wrong coil.

Confirm that it is G-33-2800. If not, replace.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from BritBlaster:

The previous owner(s) of my table have set it up for free play. I've not investigated the mechanism by which they did this, but I noticed that the first relay on the right-hand side (when looking from the coin slot) is permanently energized and that it is running quite hot. Is this is a normal configuration to enable free play and/or is the constant-on status of the relay likely to cause any problems (other than the relay burning out early)?

If my memory is correct, On the credit wheel, a open switch is created when the wheel hits "0" games. Tweaking the leaf so it always makes contact will put the game in free play.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Confirm that it is G-33-2800. If not, replace.

Quoted from JethroP:

There are two relays that are always energized in your machine when the power switch is on. One is on the coin door. The other one, I think the one you are referring to, is on the motor board on the bottom of the cabinet. It is called the LOCK relay. It is normal for the coil to be warm, but not hot. The coil was likely replaced some time in the past with the wrong coil.
The LOCK relay by the way is not part of the configuration to set up free play.

Good calls guys. The coil in there currently is a G-32-2500, and I will replace it with a G-33-2800.

The coil in the coin door has been disconnected by the previous owner.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from BritBlaster:

The coil in the coin door has been disconnected by the previous owner.

That's fine. Common in home use for people to disconnect it. You don't need it unless you are collecting coins. Its purpose is to reject coins when the machine is powered off.

#7 3 years ago

The Lock replay seems to stay energized without issue. It does run warm. I can’t tell what relay it is because the paper has turned brown completely.
The relay I was referring to was the “2 coins 3 plays” relay. I put a G-33-2800 in there and the machine acted weird so swapping back.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from BritBlaster:

The relay I was referring to was the “2 coins 3 plays” relay. I put a G-33-2800 in there and the machine acted weird so swapping back.

The coil for the 2 coin 3 play relay should be a G-32-2500 and it should not be energized all the time. First check the coin chutes for stuck or misadjusted switch. Common for those switch triggers to get mangled. Check the switch at score motor 3F, the ball index relay, and the 2 coin 3 play relay itself for proper operation. Also check the 2 coin chute relay. Maybe the 2 coin 3 play adjustable jones plug is somehow plugged into a wrong receptacle.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 3.55.42 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-08 at 3.55.42 AM (resized).png
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

The coil for the 2 coin 3 play relay should be a G-32-2500 and it should not be energized all the time. First check the coin chutes for stuck or misadjusted switch. Common for those switch triggers to get mangled. Check the switch at score motor 3F, the ball index relay, and the 2 coin 3 play relay itself for proper operation. Also check the 2 coin chute relay. Maybe the 2 coin 3 play adjustable jones plug is somehow plugged into a wrong receptacle. [quoted image]

I put a new G-31-2000 in there by (2nd) mistake. It would flip on/off depending on scoring and other things that did not make sense. When there was a G-32-2500 in there it was energized constantly, and the game played OK but I was concerned that it was getting hot and I was worried it would prematurely burn out. I have a new G-32-2500 on hand so I will install that there.
I will check the other parts of the circuit that you mention once I work out their locations. I suspect that maybe one of the coin chute switches was intentionally jammed closed to enable free play?
I'll investigate further.
I'm having issues with the coin score relay (discussed in another thread) that is preventing proper play.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

The coil for the 2 coin 3 play relay should be a G-32-2500 and it should not be energized all the time. First check the coin chutes for stuck or misadjusted switch. Common for those switch triggers to get mangled. Check the switch at score motor 3F, the ball index relay, and the 2 coin 3 play relay itself for proper operation. Also check the 2 coin chute relay. Maybe the 2 coin 3 play adjustable jones plug is somehow plugged into a wrong receptacle. [quoted image]

You were bang-on in your assessment. Someone(previous owner) had put the jones plug in between the settings for 2/3. I put it into the 3 position, and now the relay is not constantly energized. Thanks for help!

#11 3 years ago

Glad I could help. Send me the link to your other thread and I'll chime in if I can help there too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-free-play-setup?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.