By Skippy2904

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skippy2904.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have just finished re-building the flippers on this new to me machine, including new coils on all 4 flippers.

Before I started the re-build, I checked that all coils were working, including the flippers. I tested all playfield functions - rollovers, slingshots, pop bumpers etc. All were working as was the scoring.

Post flipper coil replacement, on powering up all is Ok. GI illumination works.

When I 'start' a game, the score reels reset, credit reel subtracts 1, and the lower right flipper coil activates / flips once, then again, but stays on causing the coil to heat up quickly. The EOS switch is set correctly, so it should swap to reduced voltage. The flipper button switch is open, so not triggering the flipper.

I re-wired the coil the same way as it was before. I did have to replace one of the leaves in the double action EOS as the one connected to the middle terminal of the coil had broken off the end and the fish paper was broken. Replaced the fish paper too.

It seems to me that 50v is somehow finding its way to this flipper. Trouble is, I do not know where from! This is my first EM

I do not think the coil is dud as it needs a power source. Checked obvious things - shorted wires, other coils / switches closed.

Thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

#4 7 years ago

Just thought to add that it is only the lower right flipper that seems to be powers red all the time. The upper right flipper is not.

The wiring all looks to be ok, the same as it was before.

Obviously, I am powering the machine off quickly so as not to burn out the new coil. When I switch back on, the lower right flipper flips once, as if there is some power being stored and released, like a capacitor would discharge. It is a puzzle.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

Just thought to add that it is only the lower right flipper that seems to be powers red all the time. The upper right flipper is not.
The wiring all looks to be ok, the same as it was before.
Obviously, I am powering the machine off quickly so as not to burn out the new coil. When I switch back on, the lower right flipper flips once, as if there is some power being stored and released, like a capacitor would discharge. It is a puzzle.

Checked the EOS switch incase it was shorting the low voltage to the 50v. Made no difference.

Then tried the original coil back on the flipper, and, hey presto, it worked normally. Must be a dud coil. 1 out of 4 as I replaced all 4 off them.

Onto the next issue, the 10's score reel is constantly live. My guess is a switch is closed all the time.

Thanks for your help guys. Appreciate it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skippy2904.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-flipper-coil-is-always-powered?tu=Skippy2904 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.