IMG_1518a (resized).jpg
IMG_1517a (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_1504 (resized).JPG
IMG_1503 (resized).JPG
Capt Fan dbl bonus (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hello everyone, new to pinside but not my captain fantastic machine
I’ll get right to it. I’ve owned this Pin for probably 20 years , never worked perfect but pretty damn well, recently the double bonus lights and the three center main lights have quit working. Without the double bonus lights it really takes away from the gameplay! Any inside on where or what to check??? I feel it must be pretty simple because they spuraticly do work! On a side note , when you start the game they do come on for a short time but as soon as gameplay starts the go off. Been searching albeit blindly for about 3 hours now thanks for any leads!

#2 6 years ago

you talking about the "A" "B" lanes that light double bonus or the the double bonus light itself after it is achieved?

for the A-B lights I know a relay on the bottom of the playfield controls the alternating lamps from center lane to A-B, the pop bumper lamps, and the inlane/outlane

I forget exactly where the relay is that pulls in when double bonus is achieved (guessing right next to it)

#3 6 years ago

Yes those lights, the double bonus all works and scores correctly, but none of the lights show what is going on

#4 6 years ago

on that relay there are a bunch of contacts, I would suspect the one that turns the lamp on is dirty (if not a loose bulb)

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

on that relay there are a bunch of contacts, I would suspect the one that turns the lamp on is dirty (if not a loose bulb)

Where exactly is this relay? I had the schematics at one time but after I moved I can’t find them

#6 6 years ago

the machine I used to have is at my brothers a couple hour drive from me. going through some old pictures I have, I realized insects have eaten the relay identification cards in the bottom box and to locate stuff I would do it manually.

they could be located on the lower panel in the bottom of the box

I linked your game to this thread, from there you can click the IPDB (Internet Pinball Data Base) and a manual /schematic can be found there.

Bally didn't specify what all the contacts are for on any given relay , the ones involved for your situation for this machine are the "alternator relay" the "a relay" and the "b relay"

the legend on the schematic refers to what energizes the coil. the lamps on the schematic are in a different location.

the bulb sockets aren't the best made on these old Bally machines either

Capt Fan dbl bonus (resized).jpgCapt Fan dbl bonus (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

I had just thought to ask, does your machine take coins and have "score reels" or is there no coin slot and digital scoring ?

#8 6 years ago

Mine did the same thing.worked fine then went out,popped on and off a few times and now out for good.bonus still collects you just can't tell how much you have and if a and b are lit.

#9 6 years ago

The machine has coin slots and reels

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Mine did the same thing.worked fine then went out,popped on and off a few times and now out for good.bonus still collects you just can't tell how much you have and if a and b are lit.

When I figure it out , I will post back for you!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Vuduman67:

When I figure it out , I will post back for you!

Same,I haven't had the time to even look.

1 week later
#12 6 years ago

I snapped a few pics of the bottom panel of a friends machine:

on bottom panel, left hand side, 4'th one back is the "B" relay , 5'th one the "A" relay

IMG_1503 (resized).JPGIMG_1503 (resized).JPG

IMG_1504 (resized).JPGIMG_1504 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

Awesome thanks!

#14 6 years ago

Thank you everyone!! Found the issue with all your help! Lose wire on the game over interlock relay? Not sure how that effects it but problem solved!

Next issue? The three main center bumper lights do not work, any suggestions there?

Thanks again!!!!

#15 6 years ago

the bumper cap lights alternate the same way the top lane lights alternate (top 2 caps & 1 bottom cap)

I think the alternator relay is mounted on the bottom of the playfeild

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

the bumper cap lights alternate the same way the top lane lights alternate (top 2 caps & 1 bottom cap)

I upvoted your post. My copy of the schematic is blurry but it looks like the Alternator relay coil wire colors are Red to Gray&Black. Here's what the Thumper Bumper lights' circuit looks like on the schematic.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

1 week later
#17 6 years ago

No luck finding the three center bumper light issue, any one else have any ideas, and I must confess, i suck at reading schematics. Thanks for all your help so far everyone!

#18 6 years ago

do the top lane lamps alternate properly? could be the lamp sockets in the pops have a scaling preventing contact with the lamps.

I'd check the voltage under the table as well to the lamp sockets for the pops

#19 6 years ago

Not sure what you mean by them alternating properly?

#20 6 years ago

one of the pop bumper lamps is out on this video but you can see how the lane lamps & the pop lamps work togeather

I think it changes when a 10 point switch is hit (rebound or roll-over)

#21 6 years ago

No they do not alternate at all, they do absolutely nothing.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

do the top lane lamps alternate properly?

Quoted from Vuduman67:

No they do not alternate at all, they do absolutely nothing.

Do you mean all 3 are off all the time?

#23 6 years ago

That is correct all three never come on

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Vuduman67:

That is correct all three never come on

Then that part of the problem will be easy to diagnose with Alligator clip jumper wires.

#25 6 years ago

the relay I am pointing at is the "alternating relay" for the feature lamps

I crudely drew circles around the lamps as they should come on

IMG_1517a (resized).jpgIMG_1517a (resized).jpg

IMG_1518a (resized).jpgIMG_1518a (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Wanted
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-double-bonus-no-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.