By Eddie

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9C4A0BF2-CDDD-4D06-9547-76BE865BF7D6 (resized).jpeg
47492380-456B-4325-9BB8-C6BBE023E126 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eddie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I removed the ball gate for corrosion removal and polishing, just the gate and nothing more.

Upon reinstallation the relay Buzzes with an intensity I have never seen on a relay before.

I cleaned the assembly to check for what might be causing the issue. Still no change.

I adjusted the switches so that they are helping to move the the relay plate into the on/locked position. Still no change

I tried activating the relay without the spring to see if the spring tension somehow became too tight and the same vibration remained no change.

The relay plate and the entire gate /Pivot arm mech is clean and free moving with easy activation so the relay is not getting anything to make its job harder in other words nothing is binding and all is in perfect alignment.

Above the playfield the ball gate is vibrating back and forth at a tremendous pace and when it strikes the wood rail it sends vibrations through the cabinet.

The buzz is louder than the chime unit and the vibration is stronger than a shaker motor.

The only thing done originally was to remove just the gate which came off with ease. The allen retaining screws were not frozen so the unit came out as easy as a flipper bat.

Can the relay just have given up the ghost ?

If I try holding or touching the relay mech anywhere to quiet it down it does nothing the vibration is too severe.

I tried to be a detailed as possible with info. I never had this happen before. Any Ideas? I can take a vid over weekend if this doesnt get resolved by then

#3 6 years ago

I tried adjusting the coil in a few locations but the Buzzing remained the same in all positions.

#5 6 years ago

Its a combo relay /coil ball gate mech its the plate and the armature /gate that is vibrating

1 week later
#8 6 years ago

Thought I would add a follow up to the issue I had with the Capt Fantastic ball gate noise. The resolution was the remounting of the coil assembly mount onto its bracket with the use of stand offs. It was the angle of the coil assembly on the bracket that caused this. How Is still not understood.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eddie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-ball-gate-relay-extreme-buzzzzzzz?tu=Eddie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.