• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pin_Bob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_bob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi Everyone, Happy New Year!

I do not have much experience with EM pinballs and I have a problem with my Capt Fantastic. The problem does not always occur and my guess is there is a switch somewhere that needs adjusting or cleaning.

If I push the start button more than once the game only starts in one player mode. The first time I hit the start switch a one player game starts fine. A second time hitting the switch and the game resets back to the start of a 1 player game. It would seem to me somewhere there is a switch that allows a second, third or fourth player to be added but only as long as you were not past the first ball.

I do not know what to check and any help would be much appreciated!

Bob

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What's the Game Over relay doing when this happens?

I do not know. This is the only EM machine I have and you should consider me a beginner! I do not hear any abnormal sounds like relays energized that shouldn't be. Where is the game over relay located? What should I look for?The game does advance through all five balls and plays well.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Are you trying to add players after starting a one-player game? If so, it will go back to start. If not, it could be the make/break sw. on the Reset relay.[quoted image]

I tried it both ways. Starting player 1 and immediately starting player 2 before shooting the first ball (and with no points yet scored) and also after shooting the ball and scoring points. I get the same result both ways.

Any Idea of the location of the reset relay?

Bob

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

How much do you want to learn?
Do you know what relays and solenoids are?
How about series and parallel circuits?
Have you read any EM repair websites or watched any EM repair videos?
Are you handy with other repairs / mechanically inclined?

I would like to learn as I go with new problems as they occur. My time is somewhat limited.
I repair all of my solid state games and I was a car mechanic for 25 years. I know the difference between parallel and series circuits. I know what relays and solenoids are. I have watched a few EM videos; mainly to repair the score reels on a Gotleib game that I had and recently sold. I am very handy on most repairs.

I am really struggling in finding the location for each item within the game. Some items are labeled but most have lost their labels. I have the CF manual but it is no where near as comprehensive as the later SS manuals. I am not sure what the game over relay is doing but I will try to locate it and write back.

Thank you very much for your willingness to help!

Bob

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

unlike newer machines, the additional players must be added before any scoring is done on player 1
does the machine score "by itself" before the ball is plunged ?

It does not score any points prior to shooting the first ball into play.

#14 4 years ago

Thank you to all who have posted info to help me!

I located the game over relay and found that when I press the start button to key up the second player (prior to shooting the ball and with all score reels still at 0) one of the coils in the game over relay energizes and changes the state of the various switches within it.

If I keep trying, on occasion the second and subsequent players do in fact key up as would be normal (indicating an intermittent problem). When that occurs, there is no action within the game over relay.

Where should this lead me to look?

Bob

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If you're talking about the Game Over relay coil with the Green&Red wire, what are these 2 switches doing when this happens?[quoted image]

HowardR,

I checked the ball count unit switches and I found one out of adjustment! On ball one it was barely (and somewhat intermittently) making contact (should have been NO). Sometimes the game would cue up players 2,3,4 and sometimes not. After adjusting this switch the game cues up players 2,3,4 100% of the time now!

As a bonus, I looked at the coin unit and found one of those switches out of adjustment as well. Prior to this it would try to cue up more players after player 4 (when the other mis-adjusted switch would allow it). Now with four players selected pushing the start button does nothing!

Thank you very much for your help!

To all others who sent me information, thank you as well!

Signed, Happy Capt Fantastic Owner (Bob).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_bob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capt-fantastic-only-plays-one-player?tu=pin_bob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.