(Topic ID: 158046)

Capt. Fantastic buzzing on rollover but not lighting

By embryonjohn

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

#1 8 years ago

Poor Elton John...
When my CF scores more than 100,000 (on player 1) the buzzer comes on but not the "over the top" 100,000 light on the backglass. When I remove the 1000 scoring reel and manually advance the reel (or any of the reels) past 99,990 it'll light & buzz, but never during actual game play. When I move the player one 100,000 relay it'll also turn on, but again, never during game play. Player 2,3 & 4 work fine but not player 1.
Can't figure it out.
Is it some quirky Great Britain thing like calling baked potatoes "hot jacket" potatoes?
By the way: whenever it does roll over (and just buzz) its mandatory in my house that you put on your best Austin Powers accent and say, "I shagged her rotten!"

#2 8 years ago

I'd thoroughly clean and adjust all the contacts on the 1st player 100K relay. There is only one switch in the 1st player 100K lamp circuit, so it sounds like that switch isn't closing properly during gameplay...

#3 8 years ago

Hi John
I look into the ipdb-schema - a strange thing ...
Schema-B-16 / C-16 shows Your "buzzer", Bally calls it "Horn" - a rare type of coil - it is driven by 6VAC. It is activated by the pulling (and then let-go) of "over the top DELAY relay". And this relay is shown at schema-F-20. A funny invention of Bally - for proper work: This relay has a bulb mounted - a 455 FLASHER BULB --- if this bulb is dead: Relay does not work proper. If Somebody has put a "normal (non flashing) bulb" into the socket: Relay does not work proper.

So first questions: Is there a 455 bulb mounted ? - does it light up and stay illuminated for about one second ? In the area G, H, J / 20, 21, 22 the activating of the Over the top DELAY Relay:
All four Score-Drums (one on each player) "10'000 to 90'000 Units" have an EOS-Switch - a rare "Make and Make switch": A blade is moved and closes to a second blade - they are moved further and close to a third blade = ALL 3 blades have contact.
And when such a Score-Drum is in 9th position: Another switch is closed.
When these two switches are closed: the appropriate 100'000-point-relay pulls-in. And just before it pulls-in: Through a still closed switch on the relay -> Over the top relay is activated -> and its 455-bulb when turning off by heating up: Cuts Self-Hold-circuitry of the relay -> Horn let go).

So I would study this area in the schema and have a look at switches and relays mentioned. Greetings Rolf

#4 8 years ago

Rolf I can't thank you enough. The switch stack you mentioned had loosened preventing it's proper closed position leading into the roll over. My simulation by manually advancing it moved it more than how it's normally switched back and forth. The tightening of two screws and a new 455 fixed it. The owner before had a burnt out 44 bulb in there. Thank you Rolf & Fred!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capt-fantastic-buzzing-on-rollover-but-not-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.