printed out schematics (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
switch 2 (resized).jpg
switch 1 (resized).jpg
20210422_084233 (1) (resized).jpg
20210422_084122 (1) (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Capt. Fantastic Bonus Count (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sudsy7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from fb_rider:

Here's what I'm talking about

Since it happens on single and double bonus and yet it is giving you the correct points, I would think the score motor is struggling or slipping but still successfully completing it's cycle. When you knock a drop target down for 500 pts, is the cadence also unusual? How about when you reset the game - do the score reels reset with the non-uniform cadence?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from fb_rider:

Thanks for all the info everyone. Yes all of my normal scoring and reel reset is normal. It's only when collecting bonus after the ball drains.
I'm somewhat new to EM machines, but I've done pretty well getting everything else working correctly. Just to make sure, the scoring motor is the one in the bottom of the cabinet front left side, correct? There's also some type of bonus mechanism attached to the underside of the playfield on the middle right - could that be part of the issue as well?

So if the score motor is running smoothly, then it is most likely the bonus circuit, and as HowardR pointed out, specifically the Bonus Unit Reset Solenoid circuit. If all the circuit switches (Bonus Score Re., A Re., B Re., 2B SCM) check out good (clean contacts, check gap, and verify continuity when closed), then look at the unit itself. Yes, that is the bonus unit on the underside of the playfield. The unit has 2 solenoids on it - the Reset solenoid is the one furthest away from the playfield. You can manually step it up and down (with the power off), and I suspect you will find it is sticking on the way down (Reset solenoid). These units notoriously gunk up after 40+ years and the entire unit requires rebuilding to get their "snap action" back. It might also not quite be assembled correctly or have a weak spring or otherwise be out of adjustment in some way. Another possibility is that both of the solenoids on the bonus unit are energizing simultaneously intermittently (due to a short) which would have the same result as a sticking Reset (no decrement).

1 week later
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from SJFalls:

If you check resistance, this coil is supposed to be 78 ohms, I am getting less than 10.

Not sure if you know this or not, but you can't measure the resistance of a coil when it is installed in a machine and have any faith that the result is accurate. You have to desolder one leg of the coil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sudsy7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capt-fantastic-bonus-hesitation?tu=sudsy7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.