View topic image gallery

rollover (resized).jpg
Reset relay circuit (resized).png
reset relay on (resized).jpg
credit relay (resized).png
20220729_212449 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hello,

Recently purchased non working Capt. Fantastic. I went through every contact to insure proper operation. I power up and the GI all comes up. I coin up and the score motor cycles and stops but no activity on the credit wheel. If I add credit to the wheel still nothing with the start button. I did notice that if I knock down all the drop targets they reset.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=438

Thanks guys for any guidance,

Tom

#2 1 year ago

I would start by checking score motor switch cam 1 switch E make/break switch. Clean and adjust switch if needed.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

I would start by checking score motor switch cam 1 switch E make/break switch. Clean and adjust switch if needed.

Yes, I checked the gap and burnished. I started the Score Motor by hand with power on and noticed a little spark between the red and white wires when contacts disconnected. No arc when black and white disconnected. No change.

Thanks, anything else I should check? - Tom

20220729_212449 (resized).jpg20220729_212449 (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago

There's a pretty good description of the start up procedure in the manual on pages 2 and 3. Can you tell where your machine is not following that description?

#5 1 year ago

The series circuit of switches in between score motor switch 1E and the credit relay coil is next to be checked. Maybe someone can post the schematic snippet. It might help if you have trouble finding it. Does the machine try to reset if you manually push on the credit relay?

#6 1 year ago

Does the machine try to reset if you manually push on the credit relay?

Yes it does, and continues to run the score motor so something is not fully resetting. I have included a schematic snippet that I believe is the circuit you are referring to highlighted in red. I'll get this buttoned down and then look to what is not fully resetting.

Thanks, - Tom

credit relay (resized).pngcredit relay (resized).png
#7 1 year ago

The power feed part of this circuit comes from the 2 coin switches. Inspect for wires disconnected from the switch lugs. Lugs marked c and nc are most important to feed power to the 1E switch.

#8 1 year ago

It was the NC contacts at the Reset relay. Physically closed but zero continuity. I must have missed this one when burnishing earlier.

Now when pressing the Credit Button (does use a credit) it attempts to reset. Score Motor, Targets, Coin Door Relay and both 1 Score Reset and 2 Score Reset are all running over and over. The score reels are all at zero and none of these coils are running.

Side Note: When I coin up the credit wheel does not actuate.

Super grateful for your help. - Tom

#9 1 year ago

Check every score reel unit for a vertical stack switch that’s closed . All stack switches should be open at zero position. When this is accomplished the reset relay will release to allow the outhole relay to pull in.

#10 1 year ago

For the credit unit advance coil problem, score motor cam 11 switch A and the credit unit max credit limit switch need to be cleaned and checked.

#11 1 year ago

Check every score reel unit for a vertical stack switch that’s closed . All stack switches should be open at zero position. When this is accomplished the reset relay will release to allow the outhole relay to pull in.

I will check this next. What I did was try to find what was keeping the score motor going. As you already surmised the Reset Relay was energized.

Thanks, Tom
reset relay on (resized).jpgreset relay on (resized).jpg

Reset relay circuit (resized).pngReset relay circuit (resized).png
1 week later
#12 1 year ago

All that checks. Here's what I got. I set all reels at 1 and hit the start button. They all reset to zero but #1 & #2 Score Reset continue to run. I cycle power off, then cycle power on and just then the 100's Reel on player one advances to 1. I coin up and 100's Reel on player one resets to zero and the #1 & #2 Score Resets continue to run.

Thanks again for your help! - Tom

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

They all reset to zero but #1 & #2 Score Reset continue to run.

Middle drum switch is not opening.?

Quoted from tcw16505:

100's Reel on player one advances to 1

Stuck playfield switch. 100 points. outlane switch?

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Stuck playfield switch. 100 points. outlane switch?

That was it, both sides. Now I have a bonus coil stuck on. Getting there!

Grateful, Tom

#15 1 year ago

Which bonus coil? The advance or the subtract coil?

#16 1 year ago

Which bonus coil? The advance or the subtract coil?

Advance and it go on and off with the Alt relay. It also seems as though something else is keeping the 100 reel stuck on too but only during play, not during reset. Could be related?

Tom

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

Advance and it go on and off with the Alt relay. It also seems as though something else is keeping the 100 reel stuck on too but only during play, not during reset. Could be related?
Tom

It was a star rollover in the back of the playfield.

I just now got to ball 5 in regular play and got an extra ball. Played that and the buzzer went off and now the 1000 point relay and associated reel are actuating along with the score motor over and over.

Tom

#18 1 year ago

How many 1000’s score with each 180 degree rotation of the score motor?

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

Tom

Check for stuck side rollover buttons switches.
one set of three on the left and one set of three on the right.

#20 1 year ago

How many 1000’s score with each 180 degree rotation of the score motor?

I discovered this (the buzzer) happens as I scored 100,000 points. I manually crossed that threshold again and it nearly worked right and did it again and it works fine now. Even though I cleaned each contact it still needed a little break-in it seems. It has a second lamp timer in it like the tilt circuit to turn off the buzzer. It seems to be at 100% now. This was sitting in storage for many years in a rural town in Indiana. I had to break the rubbers off each post. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate your abilities to put your head in a circuit. Top shelf.

Tom

#21 1 year ago

Ok, notices one last thing. The rollover in the right out lane. It has one pair of contacts. When arrow lit it scores the expected 300 points, and advances bonus 3 times, however when not lit it does not score. I should give 100. 100 scores on all other 100 point achievements in the game.

rollover (resized).jpgrollover (resized).jpg

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

Ok, notices one last thing. The rollover in the right out lane. It has one pair of contacts. When arrow lit it scores the expected 300 points, and advances bonus 3 times, however when not lit it does not score. I should give 100. 100 scores on all other 100 point achievements in the game.
[quoted image]

Make/break switch on the assembly.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Make/break switch on the assembly.

I was just coming back to say I found it was a poor contact on the make/break of the gate contactor. Nice!

#24 1 year ago

I was going to suggest that switch. Your getting better at solving your problems.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Wanted
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capt-fantastic-2?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.