Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by maestro
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

This is concerning my EBDLE. After replacing all the drop targets I noticed the cap on the rollover switch had been cut. This was done before my ownership. I replaced with a new one last night. Played some test games. With the new cap on the eight ball will not register when it is hit, tilts sometimes without being nudged, couple of times I had a phantom bumper and it seems there may have been a couple of other things happening but it was late and didn't take notes at the time. I desoldered and removed on leg of the cap and played a test game. Symptoms gone. So I see why the original cap was cut. Probably need to search for a short or crossed wiree somewhere. Was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or where to look. Thanks.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

This is concerning my EBDLE. After replacing all the drop targets I noticed the cap on the rollover switch had been cut. This was done before my ownership. I replaced with a new one last night. Played some test games. With the new cap on the eight ball will not register when it is hit, tilts sometimes without being nudged, couple of times I had a phantom bumper and it seems there may have been a couple of other things happening but it was late and didn't take notes at the time. I desoldered and removed on leg of the cap and played a test game. Symptoms gone. So I see why the original cap was cut. Probably need to search for a short or crossed wiree somewhere. Was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or where to look. Thanks.

The capacitors across switches in Bally games is used to improve the response to quick hits. They are commonly used on switches such as rollovers or stand-up targets that would occasionally be missed on a fast moving ball. If you have a switch that doesn't work at all and you cut the cap and it suddenly works, you have just cut a shorted cap. All you should need to do is to replace it with a new cap. I'm thinking your problem is probably a diode problem.

#3 7 years ago

Only the momentary switches need the caps. Switches that closed and stay closed like drop targets don't need them as they stay closed plenty long enough to be detected by the MPU.

You have a matrix short or something freaking out the MPU.

#4 7 years ago

Agree with the diode problem, but replace the cap anyway.

Also, phantom pops are normal in the classic Bally's because of the way the fast switches are coded in software...nothing to worry about unless they score points when it happens.

#5 7 years ago

No problem on checking the diodes. I have a good dmm with diode checker. Do i need to remove them to check? In the past I've left them in. Check all the diodes or some in particular?

Also forgot to mention sometimes while the pops are being hit the rollover registers a rollover. This occurred before putting the cap in and after. I'm going to tape the switch to see if it's touching and I need to open it more or if it's something else I should hunt. I'll report back shortly.

#6 7 years ago

No need to remove them.

#7 7 years ago

I suspected no need to remove. Just confirming. Tested every diode I could find. On the right bumper the diode tested 0.450ish. All others tested 0.550 ish which I believe is correct. I took the suspect diode out and it tested 0.550. Put it back in and it tested 0.450. I replaced that diode with a new one. Reconnected the cap on the rollover switch and all is well. Seems like that one diode screwed everything up. Thanks for the input guys. I like coming to these forums for all the friendly advice. I have gained much knowledge in my time here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/caps-on-bally-switches-particullarly-eight-ball-deluxe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.