Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by KR2SPilot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

New to this site. First machine. Had it working 10 years ago but suffered storm damage in storage.
Now got it working again. but burned out cement risistor on Hold Relay. Schematics do not show it that I can see. Lights did come on then off a couple times before I replaced the burnt resistor. I replaced the resistor the lights came on the went out a couple times now lights don't work at all but game plays. (Will be checking fuses again and all pin connection) Just temporaraly installed a 50 ohm from Radio shack "when the lights did work" The game stayed in TILT before I replaced the resistor but I did look at all POINTS and clean and adjusted the ones that looked like the needed it. Now the game is not in TILT but I have the above mentioned light problem. LOVE working on this machine but can't wait to get it working and buy another EM machine to work on again. List of things to do. Fix lights, replace the zipper flipper relay (toasted) rebuild the right flipper. Eventually repaint the play surface and box. YAY. Basically What is the size of the cement resistor? What does the resistor control? Could the wrong size resistor be the cause of the light problem?

#2 10 years ago

welcome aboard post pics of problems, might be easier to help.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks, Mato,
I do not have a picture of resistor, yet it is a normal "Cement" really ceramic resistor. Looks like a 1/4" by 1/4" by 1 1/2" inch long white block with one wire coming out of each end. Think of a normal resistor just made out of ceramic and bigger. It is to disapate heat I believe. (on top of Hold relay)

1. What does it control?
2. What size should it be?
3. Could this be the cause for the light to come on for a few seconds then go off and not back on?(lights did the same thing even when the resistor was broken in half)

As I said earlier that game suffered storm damage. Water got into the back box. Could I have a short in the lights and need to remove the glass and clean things up?

#4 10 years ago

I had to replace a resistor in Rocket III. I found it on the schematic, which is not handy at the moment. If I recall, it was identified in one of the tables on the schematic showing part numbers.

Looking at Planetary Pinball's archive of the 1969 Bally Parts Catalog, the only resistor I could find was part number E-104-43, described as 15 ohms, 5 watts.

I am including the link for the page in the catalog:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_1969/index.html#/122/

#5 10 years ago

Is it a row of lights or just one light, inside the lights are normally joined by rows, check to see if any plugs lok brown ormhave blowen.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks PMcGee, That may help! Might be getting to much but I don't know what it controls.

Mato it is "ALL" the lights I would think the entire 6 volt circuit is going out. I jumped the fuses and nothing happened. I ran out of time last night and I did not check for voltage. If I do not have voltage next check would be...?

1. How to check the voltage at the transformer? Where do I place the probes for the tester?
Thinking out loud here. Might be something heating up and shorting the circuit?

#7 10 years ago

UPDATE FIXED.
Two main problems.
1. Prev. owner installed a cement resistor in place of the jumper wire that was on the Hold relay. (I thought it was factory) They installed the resistor because the relay terminals where broken at the connectionsand were shorting the jumper. I unwound one turn of the coil wires each and rewired the broken off terminals then replaced the resistor with a wire as per the others. SO NO RESISTOR IS NEEDED.
2. The lights were not working although they had. I had 6.5 volts at the transformer and all fuses were ok. The problem was in the Anti cheat relay. One set of points are on a very thin strip. and was not making good contact. I cleaned up as per everyone should with emory paper. Put everything backtogether and it all works. Now to lube up the mechanics on the playfeild (Pop ups and other items.) wax the surface. Replace the balls. Install new glass. and pick up my next game from a coworker that saw my schematics and said I could have his old one. He does not know what it is but it is from the 60s. Happy days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capersville-cement-resistor-size and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.