(Topic ID: 249248)

Capcon Production numbers vs survial rates

By Coindork

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I picked up a Capcon Airborne today (my first Capcon pin) so I started looking at production figures on Capcon machines.
It's really quite interesting how few pins this company actually produced.
Not only did they only produce a small number of machines, the production figures are all relatively small as well.

Airborne - 1350 Units.
Breakshot - 1000 Units
Flipper Football - 740 Units.
Pinball Magic - 1200 Units.

Total units for all 4 production games = 4300 machines.
Now granted thats not counting things like Big Bang Bar and Kingpin where the production was canceled and a very small number of machines were produced.
But even then, that only increases the number minimally.

I started looking at some of the other data on the database and its kind of interesting to see how many pinsiders own each game as well as games on location.

Airborne - Pinsiders Own 54; Games on location 8 = 62
Breakshot - Pinsiders Own 123; Games on location 35 = 158
Flipper Football - Pinsiders Own 35; Games on location 7 = 42
Pinball Magic - Pinsiders Own 188; Games on location 22 = 210
Total games either in collections or on location = 473

Granted not all pinsiders have their collections made public and not all pinball collectors are on pinside. But its an interesting comparison.

After that I started looking at archived sales ads to get an idea of frequency of appearance.
This is a little bit up to interpretation and subject to variables like machines that didn't sell the first time and were re-listed but it gives us a basic idea.

Airborne - 22 archived ads.
Breakshot - 59 archived ads.
Flipper Football - 20 archived ads.
Pinball Magic - 52 archived ads.

The data from the archived ads fairly well mirrors the previous data showing what machines pinsiders have in their collections and locations games.
I.E. Airborne and Flipper Football are the two games that fewer locations and pinsiders own and also have the fewest archived ads.
The opposite goes for Pibnall Magic and Breakshot as there are more archived ads for those games as well as being present in more collections.

It seems Airborne is kind of an anomaly in the data as far as survival rate vs production numbers goes.
It's the highest production machine yet seems to be the second least frequently encountered after Flipper Football which is the lowest production machine.
It makes sense for Flipper Football to be the machine you see the least frequent as the production number were the smallest.
Whats the deal with the survival rate on Airborne though?
I get that its not as popular of a game as Pinball Magic and rightfully so but I see that game come up for sale way more often.
Was Airborne problematic to work on back in the day with all the wire forms or maybe problematic on route and got junked?
Did some of them maybe get cannibalized for boards/parts to save Pinball Magics because it's the more desirable game?
I'm kind of curious because I own one of these now and enjoy learning about the history surrounding them.

#2 4 years ago

I own both a PBM and an Airborne, I also had a Breakshot. I love the many features and designs put into these games. All games should implement the playfield lift feature.
Mine have been virtually trouble free and still have no issues getting parts.
I think according to the IPDB that then number of AB made is lower than you posted?

#3 4 years ago

Apologies... 1350 is the AB number, would love to know how many still exist

5 months later
#4 4 years ago

I've got an Airborne, Breakshot and Pinball Magic.

#5 4 years ago

I parted out a Flipper Football and a Pinball Magic a few years ago.

#6 4 years ago

I'd be an anomoly in your sums as i own one (PM) and it's listed here, but i bought it in Australia and own it there.

#7 4 years ago

Capcom

sorry, someone was bound to say it

probably why this thread died 5 months ago lol

3 weeks later
#8 4 years ago

I have a Flipper Football on the way!
Hope it's fun?

5 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

8,100 (OBO)
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcon-production-numbers-vs-survial-rates?hl=pinchild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.