You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210723_144035 (resized).jpg
20210714_102240 (resized).jpg
20210714_102207 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Just received my pinball magic and as it is my first Capcom pin I´m wondering about some strange noise:

It happens during attract mode (maybe also during gameplay but not noticeable there) and has a regular pattern-its audible every 5 seconds on the speakers.
It is not related to the lamp matrix action nor to any changing content on the DMD.
It is independant of the volume setting
sample video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FOQ7Ripd3LkJgQTqCEmVfmMpt3xIR6JI/view?usp=sharing
hard to hear on the video at 0:02, 0:07, 0:12,...its more dominant in real

Seems all the ferrites are in place. I guess it is all of the original ones, also tried 2 additional ones on the bottom connections on the soundboard without any change.
I assume all the caps on the boards are still the old original ones.

Is it something like a heartbeat from the CPU as it happens so regularly?
Anyone knows some details?

Is it just on my game or is it something normal on CAPCOM games?
My OCD does not like it, therefore I want to figure out the origin and try to solve it
20210714_102207 (resized).jpg20210714_102207 (resized).jpg20210714_102240 (resized).jpg20210714_102240 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2 2 years ago

no one?

So all your Capcom games are super silent during attract mode? no periodic´clicking´noticeable?

any idea where it could origin from?

#3 2 years ago

I can't really hear what you're referring to in your video but my PM does not make any kind of noise in a regular, periodic fashion. There's a little bit of noise that appears to follow the lamp matrix but it is very quiet and I have to strain to hear it with my ears near the speakers.

#4 2 years ago

Created a hopefully better video. Still hard to hear on the vid but more prominent in reality
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNrY40DSPKhFpHHaGxNYmSVfDcUCm27e/view?usp=drivesdk

#5 2 years ago

Sorry forgot to reply before but mine doesn't make the noise either.

#6 2 years ago

Mine either.
Thinking check connections to each front speaker.

#7 2 years ago

>>It is independent of the volume setting>>

So absolutely no change in loudness of the click no matter where you set it, even to basically zero? But it definitely is coming from the speakers, right? Reminds me of the GI relay clicking during attract mode on Black Hole every 5 seconds or so. I never heard any clicking when I owned a Breakshot. You hear anything when the game is just sitting in diagnostic/testing mode?

#8 2 years ago

Thx for your replies guys!

Have already reseated all connectors on the soundboard.
Noise comes from all the 3 speakers
I have to correct: in fact it is not totally independant of the volume setting but still noticable at volume setting 0. From 1 onwards there is only a slight increase with volume
It is in attract mode and also in diagnostic mode. Maybe even during gameplay but not noticable as game music is running
It is not a relay or other mecanical noise

#9 2 years ago

Does your soundboard have the same solder bridge at pin 15/16 at U1?

20210723_144035 (resized).jpg20210723_144035 (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from harig:

[quoted image]

No, that looks like an accidental solder drip.

#11 2 years ago

Thx for your reply!

Removed the bridge without any change

#12 2 years ago

Just figured out that the noise is generated on the soundboard itself. By dis/reconnecting the 5V the board gets initialised and the 5 seconds click pattern restarts

3 months later
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from harig:

[quoted image]

did some further investigations:

the solder bridge at U1 pin 15+16 seems to be on purpose. checked another board which had the same.

clicking noise: seems to be normal on those games. checked a friends PM and his AB - both have the exact same behaviour.

What I also noticed was some´crackle/spatter´noise on some certain sounds played-always heard at the same point of the sample.
I was messing around, measuring, changing eproms, chips (U24 to V1.03), caps, speakers, asked Pfutz,...could not get it solved. Same issue was also described by other users in forums...
However-it was the same on my friends airborne soundboard but not on his pinball magic one...

maybe all is related to degradation of components or tolerances or...
However...long story short: I stopped further investigations and will just play more

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 209.00
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
8,100 (OBO)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-pm-regular-clicking-noise-during-attract-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.