You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LEDOCD (resized).jpg
12-10-2018 11-54-26 AM (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Gang:

My pinball magic is missing 1/2 of the GI lamps in the backbox. All of my playfield lamps work as expected so I believe it may be an issue limited to column 1 of lamp matrix B. I don't have any previous history with this machine, so I cannot say when/what triggered them to fail.

Here's what's weird. All of the wires are present in both headers at J9 & J10, with the exception of the BLU/BRN wire (column 1) in the header coming from the playfield. This somewhat makes sense if that column is only leveraged by the header coming from the backbox, but can anyone tell me if I am missing a wire?

A photo of your connectors at J9 and J10 would be most helpful. I doubt it is a power issue as all my other lamps in the matrix are good.

I am running the LEDOCD board, but they did not work prior to its install.

Thanks in advance for weighing in - photo of the matrix attached.

12-10-2018 11-54-26 AM (resized).png12-10-2018 11-54-26 AM (resized).png
#2 5 years ago

My PM also has LEDOCD, but here is a picture of what I think would have previously went to those. Hope that helps, otherwise tell me what position in the connector you're talking about being empty, and I can check specifically.

LEDOCD (resized).jpgLEDOCD (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

Thanks, @highvoltage!

So, I know it is not a missing wire/jumper at pin 1 in the header as it is clear that the header on the left is empty.

Any one have any thoughts on why this lone column wouldn't be getting power?

#4 5 years ago

Is there any commonality to the lamps that are out, i.e. is the the left or right side, top or bottom of the backbox? My PM is still running incandescents and I'll try to help anyway I can.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Thanks, highvoltage!
So, I know it is not a missing wire/jumper at pin 1 in the header as it is clear that the header on the left is empty.

Have you checked to see if there is voltage at those bulb sockets?
Are the boards inter-changeable? If so you could swap them to see if the
problem moves. This would eliminate any wiring problem, and isolate it to a board problem.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Have you confirmed that this is the case; that it's not getting power? If you measure the voltage at pin 1 of both the input and output connectors, what do you see? If you see a non-zero voltage there, but not at the lamps as @wdennie suggests, you likely have a break in the wiring between the board and lamps.

#7 5 years ago

I'll check voltage at the lamp sockets, the input/output connectors and for continuity across the wire this evening - thanks for the feedback, gang - you rock!

1 week later
#8 5 years ago

This was an interesting one... quite a bit of testing revealed no issues with voltage anywhere... out of frustration, I swapped some lamps back to incandescents and they worked.

As fate would have it, my issue was rooted in a bad batch of LEDs from one of the more respected providers. As soon as I started swapping out the "new" lamps with those from another batch, everything worked.

Thanks to all for your help!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

bad batch of LEDs

That's not as uncommon as you would think. I've tracked down lighting issues to LEDs with internal shorts more than once. Glad you solved it.

#10 5 years ago

Funny after I got a bad batch once I was told Comet never had any bulb issues ever.
Sucks such a silly thing throws you off track

#11 5 years ago

@herg... surprising, but somewhat reassuring!

@thelaw... you know the old adage... "don't believe everything they tell you!"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,100 (OBO)
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-pinball-magic-missing-gi-backbox-lamps?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.