• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DMC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi,

The coil that opens/closes a gate on the top of the playfield stays stuck after a while. I have replaced the coil diode, checked the continuity and voltage on the coil lugs.

While measuring Mosfet S13 with DMM on diode mode, I see no difference with the neighbour transisitors.

Can anyone help ?

Thank you in advance

#2 8 years ago

Did you take the coil assembly apart, clean it, and replace the coil sleeve and stop? Look for misalignment or worn parts?

#3 8 years ago

yes, see no particular damage. cleaned the sleeve which was not dirty. the punger circulates freely in the sleeve. no mechanical problem at first sight. you can hear the coil working endless ...

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

you can hear the coil working endless ...

This sounding like you are describing that the coil keeps on firing on its own. True?
If so, this is where you have to start looking to see if your coil switch or opto set is working properly in the switch test. Also check to see if all the trough switches are working too. If the machine cannot detect all the balls are in the trough, it will think a ball is stuck somewhere. Again, the switch test. I would actually test out all the switches in the game to make sure all switches and optos are working. It could be a column or row out, not just a single switch or opto.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

yes, see no particular damage. cleaned the sleeve which was not dirty. the punger circulates freely in the sleeve. no mechanical problem at first sight. you can hear the coil working endless ...

Ok. When you said the coil "stays stuck after a while" it sounded like a mechanical issue caused by heating. All those parts are cheap if you can find them, might as well replace them if you spend the time to take it apart.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

This sounding like you are describing that the coil keeps on firing on its own. True?
If so, this is where you have to start looking to see if your coil switch or opto set is working properly in the switch test. Also check to see if all the trough switches are working too. If the machine cannot detect all the balls are in the trough, it will think a ball is stuck somewhere. Again, the switch test. I would actually test out all the switches in the game to make sure all switches and optos are working. It could be a column or row out, not just a single switch or opto.

Thanks. Should a malfunction of the switches not appear in the general test ?

#7 8 years ago

Use the switch edge test. I don't know what you mean by "general test".
The optos should record just like a regular switch.

#8 8 years ago

I mean that this pin detects anomalies like a bulb which has blown up. You get that in the global testing of the pin. Now I will have a look to individual switches. Keep you updated thanks

#9 8 years ago

When a coil sticks, immediatly turn off the power. If it returns, it's electrical. If it stays stuck, it's mechanical.

#10 8 years ago

Yes, good tip. It returns. so it is electrical. Got an advice from a guy who says this is the behavious of the diverter on this game, but I see no situation in a SS pin where a coil stays stuck for long. Some EM relays yes, but a coil with plunger ...

#11 8 years ago

apparently, it is a feature of the game, when you get 10M with the loop and hit the captured ball, the diverter coil is activated until you shoot the ball into the elevator .... once upstairs, the plunger is released. I am a bit surprised that a coil can be stuck that long. Maybe someone can confirm?

Thanks for your time so far

3 months later
#12 7 years ago

If you are referring to the wand diverter, mine is sticking open too. The solenoid is not the problem. I think it's stiffness in the rotation of the shaft.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!
Playfields
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-pinball-magic-coil-stuck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.