(Topic ID: 162105)

Capcom Pinball Magic 18 Volt DMD (anyone ever seen one before?)

By Jimmy_Hefner

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by kbliznick
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    20170705_210605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4645_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4646_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4647_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Went to install a new DMD for a guy in his Pinball Magic. Never seen one like this. Maybe custom made by Vishay for early production or prototypes? Any suggestions on what to use for a replacement? Looks like it is game #12.

IMG_4647_(resized).jpgIMG_4647_(resized).jpg

IMG_4646_(resized).jpgIMG_4646_(resized).jpg

IMG_4645_(resized).jpgIMG_4645_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

That's really strange. My PM has a DMD power board roughly 2" square mounted on the big metal box to the left of the CPU board. That board takes unregulated +18VDC and converts it to the high voltage for the DMD. So, it looks like on yours, that circuitry is built into the DMD.

#3 7 years ago

I had an early PM with the same display. The display is not custom but is not used in any other pinball machines that I know of. That style of display was used in some other arcade and gambling machines. The larger Sega also have the power supply built onto the display. When mine went out I found a replacement with the power supply built on. Other options are possible but the power supply board for the display was never installed on mine and the wiring harness is also different that normal production machines. It's going to take some work to find a solution to replace the display.

3 weeks later
    #4 7 years ago

Ah ha. It is a Vishay display. Hopefully they still support this one too if they are still repairing DMDs. Worth a shot.

As of a year ago, Vishay was still repairing their brand of DMD's.

From a pinside member who contacted Vishay.
    Lynn @ VISHAY called me back today -- GOOD NEWS !!
    They are still taking on DMD Plasma Repairs and they are still manufacturing Plasma DMD's for retail sales.

FYI they also make LED DMD's in multiple colors.

Should I start a new thread titled VISHAY / DALE DMD's Still Being Repaired ?

Current Repair Prices:

192 x 64 $180.92
    128 x 32 $86.53
    128 x 16 NLA - Balance of 128 x 16 parts & stock bought out by MAD Amusements

She is THE contact at VISHAY for all Plasma Repairs:
    Lynn Coulter - phone:

Email:
    [email protected]

Only caveat I will toss out there is they ONLY Repair VISHAY, VISHAY/DALE or DALE Plasma Displays - if you have a Babcock, Cherry or anything else they won't Repair it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-my-dmd-repairable#post-2496799

11 months later
    #5 6 years ago

Thanks for the post @pinballmaniac40, I just sent an email To Lynne, hopefully it's still an option.

1 week later
    #6 6 years ago

Any luck?

#7 6 years ago

Yup! Actually, it's a bit of a longer story for my DMD but Vishay is still very much open to repairing the DMDs if they can. They have only a few parts of the glass left in stock so after that is gone, it's done.

#8 6 years ago

maybe you should see if you can get a LED DMD that will work, and you never have to worry about replacing it again.

#9 6 years ago

Just FYI. With some effort, the LED and LCD ColorDMD can fit into Capcom games. Here is some unofficial installations that have been done. I have a LCD in my Pinball Magic right now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-sigma-display-in-bbb-unofficial#post-3304549

#10 6 years ago

Capcom released an update to use a "standard" multivoltage display for Pinball Magic. Just like other Capcom games that use this same boardset, it was a small aux power supply board that mounts separately in the backbox, and a simple harness to plug it in. The standard Capcom power supply does not provide the DMD voltages. A good idea (simplified design) but ended up being bad in practice, since all other games used the multi-voltage DMDs.

I have one or two spares of the aux display boards. LMK if you decide to go that route.

20170705_210605 (resized).jpg20170705_210605 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

I'm no expert, but if I am correct, the FF display is unique unto FF itself. It's a 256x64 display which I don't think anyone else makes or uses in a game. I looked into the LCD replacement option and that wouldn't even work in this game (mounting space) and I don't think anyone else makes a DMD that resolution or physical size. Correct me if I am wrong. I looked all over for any sort of TTL DMD replacement but no one makes that kind of stuff these days in that kind of size. Everything is tiny in DMD with the same resolution, lol.

I would have loved another option but at $200 the Vishay repair isn't really that expensive in comparison. Luckily I was able to get a fairly cheap FF NOS display that ended up having one small issue that I was able to repair. So for now I'm ok.

#12 6 years ago

Had issues with my display ... 2 lines done ... Replaced with spare XPin Dmd works great! Having a custom made power tap delivered, when that is in will go Sigma till there is a Colordmd option!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

I'm no expert, but if I am correct, the FF display is unique unto FF itself. It's a 256x64 display which I don't think anyone else makes or uses in a game.

Used in tons of slot machines I believe.

#14 6 years ago

Really? I couldn't find a part like this in stock at any distributor nor from any of the import websites. Vishay makes other parts that are still in stock but not this one, nothing in this size.

#15 6 years ago

Looks like I may be mistaken. The WMS dotmation slots look to use the 196x64 display used in the Sega Games.

So far only found Spacey Racers by ICE and Goofy Hoops by Romstar used the 256x64.

I have one sitting on my parts shelf.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-pinball-magic-18-volt-dmd-anyone-ever-seen-one-before?hl=starwriter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.