Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by ruralcollector
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 months ago

Hi all!

I’m not sure if this the correct place to post this, but I’ll give it a shot. I’m diving into MPF in hopes of rewriting some rules on my Capcom Breakshot. Like WPC, there is a serial port connecting the MPU to the driver board, however, it is a 50 pin ribbon cable vs the 34 pin located on the PROC and WPC. 25 pins on the ribbon are used on the Capcom board and the remaining 25 pins are grounded. My question is, is the output data driver specific to that header or could a driver be written to bridge the data output by using an additional header and then a breakout board be used to reroute/combine to a 50 pin? I’m quite certain my terminology isn’t correct so please forgive my ignorance. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated!

TLDR: I want to connect a PROC to a Capcom Driver Board. Theoretically could it be done via the 34 pin data output rerouted/combined with another header to make a 50 pin connector.

#2 9 months ago

No idea but you could reach out to Gerry at multimorphic and probably get a solid answer.. just guessing there might be a hitch somewhere or they would have added capability to interface ?

#3 9 months ago

I would be interested as well for another Capcom. It would be great if it was possible.

#4 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

No idea but you could reach out to Gerry at multimorphic and probably get a solid answer.. just guessing there might be a hitch somewhere or they would have added capability to interface ?

Thanks for your response. I will reach out to him. I was thinking the same thing, but thought maybe something could be done similar to the SNUX board which I don’t think was natively interfaced? This may be beyond my scope of understanding, but I figured it was worth a shot. I’ll report back my findings!

#5 9 months ago

Good morning!

I did the P3-ROC integration for the Capcom Kingpin remake. I started out trying to do what you aim to do but eventually went the emulation route because I only had several weeks to get the game ready for TPF.

Capcom systems at the time were quite a bit more advanced than their WPC counterparts. Capcom used a 16 bit data bus through their board system compared to WPC which used 8. The theory of operation between both systems is pretty much the same, however.

I imagine the choice not to support Capcom natively at the time the P-ROC was launched was mostly in the interests of balancing FPGA logic complexity with demand (tons more Stern games out there between SAM/Whitestar compared to Capcoms).

Happy to help however I can though. I've got a test fixture built right behind me for the Capcom system.

#6 9 months ago

Hey Compy,

Thanks for the reply! I hope compy is a strong bad reference

So for Kingpin did you run PinMAME with KP roms and interface the p3 board and its respective driver outputs or how did you exactly accomplish that lol? I’m very okay with pulling the driver board out and rewriring to a (PD16, PD LED, etc) but after looking at the schematics I thought it might be able to interface the original driver board with some tinkering. Thanks again for the reply and hope to get some answers

#7 9 months ago

I don't know any hardware to interface Capcom driver boards. Would be good to have some. We would certainly support it in MPF.

#8 9 months ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

I don't know any hardware to interface Capcom driver boards. Would be good to have some. We would certainly support it in MPF.

There are really nice capcom games. It would be nice to have it for sure.

#9 9 months ago

Capcom designed 2 different driver board arrangements. Breakshot used the cost reduced "Capcom Classic" boardset, which ended up being the only game to do so. Building a hardware interface to the Classic driver board seems pretty pointless as it only is usable for the one title.

Jimmy's method of emulating the hardware is the way to go.

#10 9 months ago
    Quoted from CoreyStup:

Capcom designed 2 different driver board arrangements. Breakshot used the cost reduced "Capcom Classic" boardset, which ended up being the only game to do so. Building a hardware interface to the Classic driver board seems pretty pointless as it only is usable for the one title.
    Jimmy's method of emulating the hardware is the way to go.

You are correct, but from what I understand was that the Capcom Classic boardset essentially combined the 3 driver boards into 1. As far as communication from the MPU there is still a 50 pin ribbon cable on both setups. Maybe it’s more of a complex difference then my limited understanding, but I’m still curious on whether it’s possible.

#11 9 months ago

My point was designing anything for Breakshot makes little sense. The Classic boardset has GI (vs dual lamp matrix) and a switch matrix (vs discrete shifted switches). They're very different from an I/O and software point of view too. And I'm a fan of Breakshot, i've owned 4 or 5 of them over the years.

#12 9 months ago
    Quoted from CoreyStup:

My point was designing anything for Breakshot makes little sense. The Classic boardset has GI (vs dual lamp matrix) and a switch matrix (vs discrete shifted switches). They're very different from an I/O and software point of view too. And I'm a fan of Breakshot, i've owned 4 or 5 of them over the years.

I understand and agree. Thank you for your input. Im guessing that using PDB boards will make more sense. I’m still interested to know how Compy interfaced the boards with Kingpin.

#13 9 months ago

I don't think emulation will help with existing games. You would have to rewire them. That is always an option but much more effort especially if the game is working. If you wanted to engineer a board to interface Capcom games I would either try to convince Gerry to do it for me or I would start with APC and add the Capcom logic there. The latter would be a lot of effort though.

#14 9 months ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

I don't think emulation will help with existing games. You would have to rewire them. That is always an option but much more effort especially if the game is working. If you wanted to engineer a board to interface Capcom games I would either try to convince Gerry to do it for me or I would start with APC and add the Capcom logic there. The latter would be a lot of effort though.

When we are talking about emulation, are we talking about emulating the mpu/driver board, or what exactly would that entail? I still need to reach out to Gerry and see what he thinks. Busy work week, baby on the way, OOF! I've done a little research on the APC and it looks super promising, especially with the LISY integration. Considering that there isn't a replacement board for Capcom's (and probably never will) I think it would be fantastic if it were supported on either platform. I just finished mapping switches and have a long way to go, but I super glad we are having this conversation.

jabdoa, BTW I want to thank you SO much for your work on MPF, especially the documentation. It is straightforward and super easy to understand. You are doing God's work

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside