(Topic ID: 53182)

Capcom Kingpin Remake any info??

By vegemite_nick

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just wondering what the gos is - any chance this might see the light of day, or will I forget it and spend my money on some other games?

#2 10 years ago

Spend money on other games.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

more importantly, anyone know if any of gene's pinballs sold from his pole barn? Wasn't he asking something like $50k for a BBB?

#4 10 years ago

KP will never be done I am sure of that now....

And a shame too... I love that game !

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

KP will never be done I am sure of that now....

Are you sure from information you have, or just because of the delay and no new info??

#6 10 years ago

99.9999999 % sure... without getting into the details

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

So being a glass half full sort of guy, there's till a .0000001% chance? Whoopee!!!!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

So being a glass half full sort of guy, there's till a .0000001% chance? Whoopee!!!!

LOL

#9 10 years ago

So your saying there is a chance?

-Awesome

#10 10 years ago

#11 10 years ago

100k by Christmas! Lol sorry wanted to be the guy who does that.. But seriously ill sell one for 50 k maybe

#12 10 years ago

Lloyd Christmas says: "That's a priceless pinball. IOU for 275 thousand, might wanna hang onto that one"

#13 10 years ago

For sure wont be done. Would have by now.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Well, guess he'll have to run more BBB's then!!! Where do I send my $4500!?

#15 10 years ago

never happening...would be interesting to see what can be accomplished by the next guy when gene finally unloads his rights to some one else

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

never happening...would be interesting to see what can be accomplished by the next guy when gene finally unloads his rights to some one else

My guess is Gene would sell those rights now to anyone with a reasonable offer . . . he has to know he isn't going to be making any more games. The question is what would be a reasonable offer and who would be interested in acquiring the rights?

I have long said that JJP needs to have more games released. I know JJP is all about looking forward and not looking backward but one or two re-releases over the next two years from them would help them keep their factory pumping out machines and keep their skilled and trained employees from going elsewhere (making them start all over training line employees for the Hobbit).

I don't think anyone believes WOZ manufacturing is going to go on for a solid straight eighteen months with no other games in between . . . a remake may be timely for JJP.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My guess is Gene would sell those rights now to anyone with a reasonable offer

If he has the rights. Does he ?

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If he has the rights. Does he ?

Dunno . . . I always went under the assumption that he did since he was talking about doing the remake and was just tied up on reverse engineering the chip and was trying to buy that sample version off of the RGP'er dude (who has since sold it).

#19 10 years ago

Who knows. I could go ask him. He's here at the nw show

#20 10 years ago

Leave gene alone, he's been a credit to the hobby and should be treated with respect!

#21 10 years ago

He isn't being trashed, pinballs not the only business in his life. Sometimes a fresh start from a hungry guy will push things along. We all know what he did and its his legacy. There's no trashing of his reputation. Just discussing that its been a lot of years of talk with no headway so its unlikely.

#22 10 years ago

I'll ask him later tonight and post his replies. I have a right to ask, I signed up years ago for this.

#23 10 years ago

I signed up a while ago and would still love this to happen

found this site and has a cross out through the order list, so maybe not know

http://home.comcast.net/~pfutz/Capcom/cap_pin.htm

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

He isn't being trashed, pinballs not the only business in his life. Sometimes a fresh start from a hungry guy will push things along. We all know what he did and its his legacy. There's no trashing of his reputation. Just discussing that its been a lot of years of talk with no headway so its unlikely.

+1 His last public statement said something about pigs flying soon. Even he knows there has been a lot of talk with no progression; that doesn't cheapen all the great stuff he has already done for the hobby . . . his skins on the wall are still there, besides, asking questions is always fair game.

#25 10 years ago

maybe spooky can be contracted to build it ...........

#26 10 years ago

I think the pinball world is now looking forward to new and exciting ideas
not remakes of old machines (no matter how rare)

I also doubt that he would pay to have the software finished

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I think the pinball world is now looing forward to new and exciting ideas
not remakes of old machines (no matter how rare)
I also doubt that he would pay to have the software finished

I generally agree with this; but also think 2,500-3,000 NIB MM's would sell at $7,000 or a bit higher each.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I'll ask him later tonight and post his replies. I have a right to ask, I signed up years ago for this.

He is a salesman and is going to tell you it will be made. Let me know what your gut says after you talk with him. I will say that he has promised another run of taf pfs for over 17 months now and they are at least 12 more out at earliest. That should say something.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, guess he'll have to run more BBB's then!!! Where do I send my $4500!?

Time to give up the ghost on that pipe dream pricing Greg. If he ever *did* rerun them, he'd probably sell them closer to what is was costing him on the first run, and then some.

Even if he charged $8K-9K, he'd still sell a TON of them.

#30 10 years ago

Maybe JJP can make an updated version of Kingpin

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Time to give up the ghost on that pipe dream pricing Greg. If he ever *did* rerun them, he'd probably sell them closer to what is was costing him on the first run, and then some.
Even if he charged $8K-9K, he'd still sell a TON of them.

I'd buy one at that price.

#32 10 years ago

It's not going to happen. Gene doesn't have the chips and was still talking about trying to get source code recently. This is pretty much the same status as 4? Years ago.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

It's not going to happen. Gene doesn't have the chips and was still talking about trying to get source code recently. This is pretty much the same status as 4? Years ago.

Makes you wonder why he doesn't do a kit then? Populated playfield and loom, decals and translite. Plenty of base games that could be converted. Avoids *so* much of the issues - board sets, building cabs etc.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

Makes you wonder why he doesn't do a kit then? Populated playfield and loom, decals and translite. Plenty of base games that could be converted. Avoids *so* much of the issues - board sets, building cabs etc.

Nick,

That would work. Reproducing the boardset would be a mess. I don't believe the playfield is that complicated.

#35 10 years ago

how hard could it be to do the boards, a guy did it for Gameplan boards...

and how hard could it be to reverse engineer the chips...somebody made them in the first place...

If they were made once they can be made again right?

I think all of that is a bunch of crap as well....

but the real reasons have nothing to do with the above...

Its a real shame, it coulda put Gene back on the map, and in the moment again...

#36 10 years ago

we are talking about remaking, or should I say copying 20+ yr technology...

this shit should be a no brainer !

#37 10 years ago

Money you need to do it would be a start.

Gene lost over a couple grand a unit when he did the BBB's, probably can't afford a repeat of that.

And of course you still don't have a trained work force or assembly line.

Other than that, it should be pretty simple.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

we are talking about remaking, or should I say copying 20+ yr technology...

this shit should be a no brainer !

If it was that simple. I'm surprised no one has done it yet.

#39 10 years ago

I am in agreement on the money..

but the theory of getting it doable is no groundbreaking engineering...

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I am in agreement on the money..
but the theory of getting it doable is no groundbreaking engineering...

Gerry, it's more complicated than you think. Also, money is definitely a factor in producing the boardset. Gene asked us to make a very of Nucore for capcom. He didn't want to pay much for it and Don and I didn't want to go through all that mess again for free

#42 10 years ago

couldn't they do a capcom kingpin pin with the original art, sounds but re-create the rules and use a p-roc system. yes not totally original but better than nothing

is this the real issue with re-engineering the chip - is it the rule chip?

#43 10 years ago

Talked to gene. He said the chip they have isn't going to work, they've tried everything. He said they are going to emulate it and it will be the same. Stay tuned for an announcement in the next couple months he said. I asked the price. He said 8k or 8500.

My gut said no chance in hell when I talked to him. Glad I spent my money on mople.

#44 10 years ago

it is obviously not a priority for Gene, I wont be holding my breath

#45 10 years ago

We brought up the amulator with gene a year ago. Wish he started that idea back then. We have a game ready for him to use for reproduction so that's not a issue.

#46 10 years ago

excuse me for not understanding the full design hold up, could some one explain please the chip issue and what they believe are the issues

#47 10 years ago

There is a chip in the board set that's not able to be reverse engineered for production of more boards. It's like a kill pill, with out it you can't make more games. This is why gene only did a certain number of bbb rebuilds cause that's the total number of boards he had from the original capcom buy he did. For 5 years he paid over 30k to have a professional reverse engineer it so he could build more games and the guy failed. This is the major hurdle to over come. Having games built and by who would be the next one but with Jjp in the picture maybe not as hard as before. Still if he's going emulator now how long will that take. Your still talking two years before you ever see a game. Not likely don't get ur hopes up till he starts asking for deposits.

#48 10 years ago

thanks for the explanation, ashame they couldn't get the design info off capcom - must of disappeared / was lost

#49 10 years ago

Sort of off topic, but will this "kill pill" chip be a problem for other capcom games? I have a pinball magic. Will I have to worry about it becoming a brick in the future?

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from planters49:

Sort of off topic, but will this "kill pill" chip be a problem for other capcom games? I have a Pinball Magic. Will I have to worry about it becoming a brick in the future?

Yes. Not something that dies though, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-remake-any-info and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.