3CCE1E5D-6D0C-40AC-A41E-134BAA3FCB23.gif
EB3AAF44-9D54-49D7-97E2-D3A5477D373A (resized).jpeg
1D778A70-1C9F-40DC-820A-8074DFD5A9D8 (resized).jpeg
4C95C47D-52CF-43EC-AC40-2829CC946380 (resized).jpeg
A1C57DA9-7DD5-4997-9688-67D584209F6F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Compy (6 years ago)

Post #162 New display prototype solution for DMD from TPF. Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vegemite_nick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#90 6 years ago

Having got to know Kingpin pretty intimately, and having had BBB since it was released, I have come to think of KP as a little better than BBB, mostly due to its "flow".

Art - BBB > KP
Theme - BBB > KP
Playfield layout/shotmap - KP > BBB
Audio - BBB > KP (just)
Toys - KP > BBB (mostly due to the gun mech shooting the ball out from under the playfield)

The ramps are a work of art in their placement and the way they add to the classic fan layout.

It has that classic nineties set up where smart rules mattered, and shortcomings not attempted to be compensated by lots of toys and gimmicks. In that respect, and with its flow, it reminds me of AFM (not gameplay wise, but as a package). The modes are great (albeit needing some work to polish unless there are better ROMs out there that I have) and a couple of clever wizard modes at the end. I am just typing an email to James with a few rules to take a look at (although they probably already have). With the rules polished a little, this will be a classic.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

This is exciting. My thoughts on using Williams flippers though would be like re-recording Appetite for Destruction and giving Slash a Fender Telecaster. The snappy and power adjustable flippers are a big part of the Capcom feel. This is definitely a boutique only type release. As with all these games one has to consider the hype and excitement is peaking now and at release time it will be competing the the hype and excitement of what’s coming out at that time and in future. Best wishes to the team.

It is the software more than the hardware that creates the Capcom feel, and of course allows the adjustment. I suspect it is the way the coils are pulsed. I am using the worst (Stern early 2000 mechs!!) in my Kingpin and the game feels all but identical to my other Capcoms, certainly near enough that I can't really tell the difference.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I trust your expertise in this field. I’m just going off my experience with WPC flippers. I hope I get to play one of these one day. Nick are you on AA?

No mate, not on there.

Quoted from musketd:

Being one of the original owners of a kingpin how do you like the game and how does it hold up long term?

I built one, I do not have one of the 8, that's how I got to know it so well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-big-city-kid

The original rules need some polish, but as CM is proposing to have two sets - original and updated - available, this is ideal.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

May put them back but it will help them sell more since most people havent played the game.... i won't purchase till i play it. I did buy a translight to help support the company.

"Most people haven't played the game" applies to just about every game before production, and Stern seems to still sell their stuff.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

With so many new pins coming out with new tech, rgb lighting and deeper code for around the sane pricepoint its getting harder for me to purchase old remakes ... especially if i haven't played them . If i had unlimited room it wldnt matter as much but i dont and i know plenty of people that feel the same . So getting it to different shows can definitely help in some cases.

Fair point. Hopefully you and all those others get a chance to play one locally. For me (and I won't presume to suggest plenty of others) a game as iconic as this, with such a rich history, has more going for it than just code and lighting (although wait until you see the lighting on this beauty!)

#216 6 years ago

Really wish I could have made it over to see this unveiled, wonderful job. James shared some pics as this came together, and I was amazed how quickly they achieved a fully fledged game after the months of work it took me to get mine going. I have bought my translite and will enjoy the time waiting to see the game.

2 months later
#287 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Having watched that, I'm pretty confident Kingpin 2.0 has way more potential than BBBr.
Flow's great, and there's so much they could do with it.
For the original game code, I do hope they colour the DMD, even if they don't do anything else. Great animations.

skipnatty was the player. He seems to do very well on flow games. He's to be seen streaming DI / GoT / Met on https://www.twitch.tv/pinballundesirables and games on https://www.twitch.tv/skipnatty

While I love my BBB, the experience with KP has shown me that it is every bit as good a game. Very different. I consider it the best shot map layout I have played for flow, and the ramps are amazingly well placed.

4 months later
#343 5 years ago

Great update, really nice seeing the effort going into this.

4 months later
#446 5 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Believe it or not, I was luke warm to it initially as well. I love the mechanical reels as much if not more than anyone else, however after messing with some mockups, I agree that this can really be an enhancement to the game in a much more interactive way compared to the physical reel set (only used in a mode or two).

I enjoyed the seminar on line... As for the pokie reel, I did take a moment to think about it, and I am leaning towards agreeing that an LCD would be worthwhile. It is a lot of space for what I think is a single mode. In fact, in my Kingpin build ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-big-city-kid ), I don't even have it in place at all, and the mode it is used in still completes!

2 weeks later
#464 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

The Capcom flippers felt GREAT in the Kingpin at TPF but I don't know if it was because they were Capcom. The responsiveness may have had more to do with the PROC system. On a side note, I owned a Capcom game a while back and the flipper coils hummed a lot. Not sure if that's typical.

Much as I would like some new flipper bits for Capcoms, I found that they perform just as well with crappy Stern mechs. Seems its the Capcom system running them rather than the mechanisms that give them that Capcom feel.

#466 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

And what coils did you use?

Stern.

1 year later
#753 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlynx:

My brother is one of the team members working on Kingpin. I can confirm that the project is not dead. Progress has been slow because... well... 2020.
Lets all try to keep in mind that this is a self funded project with a very small team and that nothing in pinball happens as quickly as we'd like.

Good to hear!

#766 3 years ago

Love the translite, even if the game doesn't get made. Found a handy spot for mine in the meantime.

2 weeks later
#785 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

There's the one some crazy Aussie put together.. that should count.

Count - not sure.

Crazy - most likely.

#786 3 years ago

Pretty sure there was a post a while back, that the due to the pandemic, travel to vendors etc was not possible. So time was being spent on the software. Building the games, while challenging, will be far from impossible, and there are contract manufacturers around. Getting the software up to production ready was always, to my mind, going to take a lot of time for a one-man effort. If 2020 has given some time for the software that might otherwise have been updates after delivery, then I'm kinda glad. The existing software is very good, but needs polish.

5 months later
#800 2 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Good point. It’s even beyond that: all the mecanisms will be WMS including the through. Only the drop target might stay Capcom’s... but not even sure. So we are far from what IPB did and built.
Now it’s nice to get a kingpin anyway but that will be not be the same pinball. It would be also nice the new software but it should take a lot of time to code and money: on other project it was one of the most complicated thing to achieve so I hope for them everything will go well and it will not takes several more years if it will ever go to the end.

I am as big a fan of Capcom you can get, but WMS slings work better than Capcoms, late model drops just as well, and flipper mechanisms make very little difference to the famed Capcom flipper "feel", it's in the software. Even Stern mechs with Stern coils work and feel like Capcom when running off Capcom code. IPB built BBB from leftovers (and I love my BBB). Those leftovers are gone now. Time to move on.

3 weeks later
#878 2 years ago

Question for anyone who has played an original - if you lose a ball, does the mode in play continue on with the next ball? My game does this, so it seems like the modes are designed to be played to completion, whether or not you lose a ball during a mode. Be interested to know if that is as the originals play, of it the ROM I used in not the only version out there.

Compy - is this what you have found?

Oh, and my wife asked you to correct the above - should read "Vegemite Nick is an insane individual. " Thanks in advance.

2 weeks later
#895 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Yes when you drain during a mode you continue the mode on your next ball. I just verified it on my vpin using rom kpv106.

Thanks for that, although the rom being used would be the same 1.5 release, so it would perform the same I expect.

1 month later
#897 2 years ago

Been getting back into my "tribute" game, really hoping the guys bring this to fruition. The more I play, the more I appreciate the fantastic layout. Excuse the poor excuse of a game posted here, just wanted to remind people what we hope to get at some point (a little more professionally executed than my version though!) While the software is pretty complete and a full game is absolutely playable (including two wizard modes that seem very much complete), some tweaks like modes stopping between balls rather than continuing, and probably some limit to the mode stacking would help. it's all there, just needs polish to be a top game. The game manages to make the theme entertaining without being dark. No doubt a little politically incorrect in the 2020's, but nice to escape that for a few minutes sometimes (much like BBB).

#903 2 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Incredible work. The software was not finished however, it’s obvious it lacks polish and a lot of lamp effects like good shots and else. It seems a bit dead like the CC a bit. The plan was to remove the sudden death because it didn’t work out well during tests (Share in interview by Mark) in time aspect of the game but they never had time to do it. The only hope was to rework the software but not a single word on that since the start and it’s probably something way more complicated to accomplish that recreating the playfield for instance. Even this aspect takes a long time. This game needed a lot of work to be « as planned designed ». It’s true to say it looks good as it is, it’s just it was not the final plan.
It was way behind the BBB ad far as completed.

It is well behind BBB in completion, however, all of the modes are there, they all work, the light effects work, the animation is fantastic. The Sudden Death does not work that well, it needs to last longer in the weakening stage to give the player some real opportunity to keep it going. Maybe for the coin op environment removing it would have been a better option, but I think it can be made to work if the experts get their way. If the programming environment is there, I can't see the required changes as massive. I may be wrong, but staying positive anyway!

1 year later
#1043 1 year ago

I must admit that even I have become a little less than positive about this moving forward, so much so that I have gone back to my build to finish it off. About to swap in the new playfield in the next couple of weeks.

4 months later
#1140 1 year ago

Love a loaded question, always the best way to start a controversy!

My understanding, and I am no self-proclaimed expert on Kingpin or any other pinball topic, was that you *actually got a translite signed by the artist and the game designer* for a whopping $150.00. And as a bonus, a spot in the queue *if* the game got made.

I don't even need to rely on my memory:

"Kingpin translite signed by game designer Mark Ritchie and artist Stan Fukuoka. These are hand signed and numbered in a limited run of 250 translites.

By purchasing a translite you also will be one of the first to be offered any production games! The lower the translite number, the earlier you’ll be able to purchase any production games."

The word "any" was clearly adopted (twice) for the very reason there was no promise made of anything, you got what you paid for (and it's bloody awesome, and fortunately I do have a rather good spot to display mine).

#1185 1 year ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:I posted this 3 years ago. They had apparently tried to stitch photos together to make the playfield graphic and then at least a year after starting deciding to use a Cruse Scanner. ... To me it showed that they had no idea on what to do to make a pinball game.

I made mine from "stitched together scans", now I feel like such a fool! I clearly have no idea. But I suppose a scan expert would be able to scan a complete machine into a 3D printer and make it overnight given that expertise! Maybe a guy who knows coils might want to chime in too (very intentional pun), to also further prove they have no idea how to make a pinball machine because they were using off the shelf coils?

I am no less disappointed than anyone else - possibly more so given how intimately I know the game. I am sure CM gave it their best, but its funny how two years of covid and lockdowns, the damage it did to supply sources and that these guys needed to survive like the rest of us can be so easily forgotten.

Sure, more communication would have been great, but they owe that, if they owe anything at all, directly to the guys that bought a translite. Frankly, they don't even owe anything there IMO because the translite was a bargain and likely adorns the pinball rooms of collectors, making a great talking piece as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vegemite_nick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here?tu=vegemite_nick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.