3CCE1E5D-6D0C-40AC-A41E-134BAA3FCB23.gif
EB3AAF44-9D54-49D7-97E2-D3A5477D373A (resized).jpeg
1D778A70-1C9F-40DC-820A-8074DFD5A9D8 (resized).jpeg
4C95C47D-52CF-43EC-AC40-2829CC946380 (resized).jpeg
A1C57DA9-7DD5-4997-9688-67D584209F6F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Compy (6 years ago)

Post #162 New display prototype solution for DMD from TPF. Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#913 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Once you sell translight for spots, you have indirectly taken money for the hopes the games would be built!
2020 has been a crappy year for everyone , but someone from the team could update their status...
Even DeepRoot has pages of continuing thread...

This aged poorly. I'd take zero communication and behind-the-scenes progress over deeproot's roundabout "updates" written in legalese and filled with fluff. And now with the big reveal that dr was a massive scam, looking back through this thread all the dr comments are rotten grapes!

Quoted from Compy:

========================================================
Now the meat and potatoes
========================================================
Last week I got some full playfield CADs and artwork printed on film and checked the scaling. This is basically the step I go through before I do whitewood cuts. I have to make sure things are to scale for the following:
1. Inserts. We have two options, we can either use original inserts, go with WMS/modern clear jewel style inserts, or just go full spooky and cut acrylic sheet. If you want RGB lighting, you have to use one of the last two options.
2. Mechs. This is a huge problem. Capcom engineered a lot of their own mechs. We can use WMS mechs with functioning EOS to cut down on the engineering/tooling costs and match the duty cycling as closely as possible to mimic the performance of the original game. With the longer ramp shots being in the center, I don't see this as much of an issue. (It would be an issue if the shot was at the end of the flipper bat)
4 bank drop targets - My vote and feedback I sent to the team is don't waste time engineering a 4 bank mech and use the stern equivalent if needed.
The gun handle - Getting tooling made for something like that really sucks because of the intricate detailing on the gun grip. These also have to be modeled in 3D and we have to outsource that. (I do all of my work in 2D... yeah, I know...)
Upper ball launch trough assembly - This was a completely custom part that will require a new weldment. It is similar to what was used on Diner.
Main ball trough assembly - I've subbed in footprints for traditional pinball life troughs. If push comes to shove, I have the footprints I used for the WMS troughs on Wizard Blocks.
Slot machine - Nothing too crazy there. At one point we considered stuffing an LCD there behind the plastics. But my personal opinion (and those of others) are that the mechanical reels are cooler.
Ramps - We've got the ramp king. Though new tooling has to be made.
Standup Targets - Capcom used custom opto targets. My vote is to replace these with common off the shelf standups. Better for us, better for you.
Ramp Spinners - Ok, these are really cool. They did use opto driven ramp spinners so the spinner has no friction against a microswitch or leaf assembly. With a bit of graphite, those spinners spin for days. This is easy replicate with a custom wire and a "C" style opto pair assembly like: https://www.pinballlife.com/ir-opto-sensor-high-sensitivity-4-leg.html
Pops - As you can see in one of the attached photos, 2 of the 3 mounting holes line up on the pop. My vote, again, is to switch to a standard WMS pop assembly, or the (better) Pinball Life single cut/mount solution like: https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-sterndata-eastsegacapcomalvin-gspookyheighway-thumper-bumper-housingbase.html
Cabinet - Capcom arguably had one of the nicest playfield slide/rail/cantilever systems out there. I would love to maintain this, but my vote (and what I shared with James and Paul) is to push and use a more typical WMS or even stern setup if it took more than a few weeks to come up with a solution.
Assembly - We've got several ideas about this. One thing I can say is that nobody on the team wants to set up a production line. We have multiple interested manufacturers, but it doesn't do much good to focus on "who" gets the gig yet until we have everything needed to build the darn thing.
=====================================================================

Hoping you go with mostly original everything, I love the way Capcom did things. Their inserts are beautiful and look fabulous when lit. Hopefully your Kingpin remake has LED OCD integrated. Capcom lightshows are truly unparalleled and the LED issues really put a damper on them.

Most the mechs can probably be switched, but like the flippers, the pops on Capcoms are insane. It's hard to believe it's merely software when they are so spectacular they outperform even the nicest restored Williams. My route-worn Flipper Football has some mean pop action and they've NEVER been rebuilt. Play a JM or a WCS and those pops don't hold a candle to Capcom!

I'm interested in the opto standups, how do they work? I imagine they feel completely different. Capcom's pioneering use of optos on spinners and switches was fantastic, it's too bad they didn't survive long enough to force the industry to adapt. We could have been so spoiled!

Quoted from Compy:

Cabinet - Capcom arguably had one of the nicest playfield slide/rail/cantilever systems out there. I would love to maintain this, but my vote (and what I shared with James and Paul) is to push and use a more typical WMS or even stern setup if it took more than a few weeks to come up with a solution.

Please sweet lord, KEEP THE CAPCOM RAIL SYSTEM!!! Those little wheels with the dual cantilever arms are next level. I've looked into converting my WMS to use Capcom's buttery-smooth rail system. Truly one of their greatest innovations, especially since Stern is so god damn cheap we still are expected to take our 7k machines and just muscle the playfield in by ramming it back like a jackass. Stern's lazy modern system is just awful in every way. Kingpin can show us a better way and bring some refinement and elegance to modern pinball!

If anyone is selling a translight, shoot me a PM! I'd like to get in on this whenever it finally comes out. If need be I'll source my own OG Capcom parts and slap them into the Kingpin remake.

1 month later
1 month later
#961 2 years ago

It’s not unreasonable for them to simply state that the project is shelved for the foreseeable future due to uncertain market conditions causing production to be a financially reckless decision

#978 2 years ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Don't know if anyone saw this on Knapp arcade today. Unfortunately, it being April 1st, this could be just a massive troll post. But according to Jason on Facebook it is not fake! Who knows who to believe on April Fool's, but exciting if true!
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/circus-maximus-and-kingpin-pinball-are-alive
"A number of people were critical of my last article about the Circus Maximus Kingpin project, saying that it didn't actually say anything about what was happening or that the project is completely dead, so I figured that I'd provide a quick Friday afternoon update for everyone. I recently was able to speak with Paul from Circus Maximus. I am very happy to report that not only is the Kingpin pinball project still alive, the Company is hoping to be able to share specific production plans at this year's upcoming Southern Fried Gaming Expo, which takes place in Atlanta from July 15th through 19th.
The team has been busy working on improving the game's production process by standardizing certain Capcom-specific parts to ones that are more readily available, such as the drop targets. They also have had to "go down some rabbit holes with getting some [parts] produced ourselves."
I'm pretty swamped today, but I wanted to take a second to share this fun news with everyone."

Terrible and very suspect timing.
Considering the type of news and the day, I’m gonna stay skeptical.

6 months later
#1045 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

What I can't understand is
#1 why they would ghost the pinball community that supported them, and/or
#2 why not sell the assets to CGC or someone that will take over the project and finish it

It’s probably in development hell, even if they have partner with another company, that company probably has several of their own products on the line and kinda like Ben Heck’s CGC games, Kingpin may be waaay in the back of the line behind several titles. That equals several years of waiting!

Side note: Anyone selling their translite?

#1050 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Got some infos but don’t hold your breath.
There is still no manufacturing contract none partnership for now.
A manufacturer is interested (guess who) and a discussion has been started but it stayed like this and that’s it. They need to start over the chat at an expo, if it will ever happen. They are not focused on that whatsoever because they want/prefer (i guess) do things themselves for some reasons and maybe keep the control over the project or maybe, they are just not ready.
If it stays like this, they have several more years of development (according to them, and we can believe it). They just got the original films from a private collector 2 weeks ago from nederlands who contacted them (thanks to him ! ) so I guess they’ll need to start over some of the work they have done already but it’s still a good thing.
Almost 5 years after, it still look like they were in the beginning of this dev. I understand building a pinball is hard. I can’t imagine this will go to the end without any solid partnership and/or someone taking over IMO but we’ll see. Since it’s really hard to get any solid infos because there is no more channel of communication (Pinside is avoided), this will be not be known after a while I guess.
This project was supposed to finance the PC project, so the PC project is still behind all this.

Why avoid pinside? What else do they use?

The Facebook pinball sites are 10x worse.
Which originals films did they get? The playfields, the cab artwork, or are the films referring to the blueprints/engineering diagrams?

#1054 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

So let me chip in here
They didn’t get anything….. I own all the original films from playfield,cabinet,plastics,ramps,decals etc etc incl technical drawings and all hand drawn art from fukuoka
I contacted them to see how far this projects was and that I own all so maybe we could something going and get somewhere ,But communication is not great and been crickets since. Without my films and codes from paint it’s guessing what colors they used on all layers . Yes you can scan and color match on the proto playfields and remake the stickers on photoshop etc but that still don’t make it production exact
That’s all I can and will say about it

So what you’re saying that this post:

Quoted from Warzard:

Why avoiding Pinside? « Because people thinks they know but they don’t » that’s all I know.

Is talking about himself? Total BS?

Quoted from Warzard:

Got some infos but don’t hold your breath.
They just got the original films from a private collector 2 weeks ago from nederlands who contacted them (thanks to him ! )

#1056 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Not sure why you downvoted my post. I was answering to you with what I know that’s it. My english may not be perfect, sorry about it.

Because you mentioned “people on pinside don’t know”, and then AMSNL provided information that your post is inaccurate .

#1059 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Lets all keep it friendly in here , we all in here want KP see the light of day.I think they informed him wrong and or the bragged about stuff I showed them. I’m willing to help but A not for free and B not for a project that is up for many years that at this moment leads nowhere…

Quoted from Warzard:

Yes. That was from CM, not from me.
There is a reason why they are no more posting. No big deal for that: i can understand.
I have more concern about the project itself going to the end.

Apologies. Downvote removed.

Frustrated with the lack of anything on this project!

2 months later
#1078 1 year ago

Wait, you guys didn’t get your Kingpin yet?D2DBCBF7-473A-4054-826C-62B4A29CE9A8.jpegD2DBCBF7-473A-4054-826C-62B4A29CE9A8.jpeg

We just picked ours up!

#1093 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I'm pretty sure the "there were 9 built, now 8 after the fire" thing is solely referring to Kingpin as they were all prototypes of different sorts. The BBB had way more built by Capcom, 14 or 15, I think. Then IPB started making the continuation BBB's and made like 120 or so. I've even heard tell of a prototype Capcom game built by B/W, just can't remember right now if it's BBB or Kingpin.

This is covered extensively and definitively in the Gene Cunningham thread.
Williams tried making Big Bang Bar. And one of the Capcom Big Bang Bar’s was lost in a fire (Gene’s)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/artifacts-of-gene-cunningham-illinois-pinball

I still don’t believe Gene actually lost his, the fire was an attempted insurance scam. I’d bet he sold it and had some spare cabinet and some metal as his proof. Who’s gonna know?

Quoted from Roostking:

From parts, or he is "Gene"?

That one he built is from parts and materials he made himself. Gene died a few years ago.

#1100 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

From parts, or he is "Gene"?

Point 1. Interesting and I have read part of that thread. I should finish it.
Point 2. Tom is badass!! Is there a thread on these builds???

vegemite_nick did it first, in 2016, 7 years ago. And Tom built his over a couple years, “finishing” last year. (Even though there’s always something new to do!)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-big-city-kid

#1108 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

Wonder how in the world someone can build a KP? How do they get the game specific parts made?

Apparently Kingpin has less game-specific parts than you’d think. It appears that BBB might be more complicated than Kingpin, aside from the Hotel Lex mech.

It also helps to use a donor, but I hate seeing Flipper Football’s and Breakshots destroyed when they are both good games. My FF is popular with casuals, and Breakshot is an underrated masterpiece.

#1110 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Breakshot has different unique boards in the head.
I suspect Airborns, Pinball Magic, and Flipper Football games were donors. If they didn't find spare boards. Maybe not now, but a lot of the boards were around a decade ago.
LTG : )

Yes, Breakshot uses a few different boards, but Tom used the cabinet before he realized it’s too small!

Also people part them out for capcom parts every once in a while, sadly!

#1116 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

And another year until 2023, so there is that....

Now I don’t want to spread rumors or speak on behalf of anyone, so I will be as vague as possible.

After some discussion, that Knapp arcade article makes perfect sense, and is totally understandable. Hindsight is 20/20; whenever Kingpin does get produced, we will definitely look back and understand what happened here.

I can also understand why they wouldn’t announce anything, because it all sounds easy but it isn’t. It’s a lot of little things. Look at some famous/infamous video game releases that have been ruined by delays and poor updates. It’s better to say nothing and delay your product to make it perfect, rather than to continually make promises you can’t keep and totally disillusion your customers.

Consider that nobody has ever made reproduction Capcom mechs EVER, and all the big parts guys say there is no money in it.
Do you reproduce Capcom parts to an extremely limited market, or do you switch to standard Williams/Stern mechs which will probably piss some people off but save A TON of money?

At the very least the Kingpin remake isn’t dead. Hopefully we get an update soon

1 month later
#1132 1 year ago

Oh boy... I love Alien and still wish to play TBL, but those games also have their own special set of challenges... really hoping they don’t try to completely reinvent this game and turn it into a disaster.

#1164 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

As I told. And I will again. I own the all the original films, all original fukuoka drawings, I own the trademark and rights .I asked them to contact me and I was willing to help. Communications is a no go with these guys. And they tell people that they already have certain things without me even giving it to them….. so even if you go around me there are other reasons wy the game is not being made tho. They can make parts and all other things. So it should be a breeze if they made one. So where is the holdup … and if they don’t do it then yes maybe it’s time someone else makes it no hate here but all love to make the game

Did you buy them from Planetary?
When does Rick *sell* anything?
Not trying to be a dick here, but if Retro-refurbs has taught us anything, it’s that international trademarks can mean very little, hopefully you have a legal presence in the USA.

#1167 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

No worries I have all I need incl all US legal
If someone is willing to try me. I’m happy to provide all thru my lawyer
Again not here to have a pissing contest just here same as everybody else trying to get this game to daylight. I’m here to achieve that and if it can’t be don’t it’s a shame. If it’s CM or anybody else for that matter

Okay, ignoring the first half of my question... did you buy the rights from Planetary?
It seems according to the trademark things posted that you recently bought these rights, could buying them during production have possibly made it more difficult?
Did they even need them?

You could be helpful, or just brag about all the original stuff you own.

3 months later
#1206 10 months ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

This is wy you need original films. As scanning or vectoring is nice but will never be the same and if you don’t have the right color codes it will always be a hit and miss.same with plastics and translite there are 63 films for pf,plastics,cabinet, apron etc et.as I told CM I wanted to give my help and gain then acces to the films so they could finish there adventure. I had no responds to make this work so I don’t know if they where just blaming the playfield or that there where other issues .But now things have changed… and they have to come to me also for other things . They make there lives so much harder without it ever was a reason. I’m still open to them but I’m not reaching out so let’s see what happens in the upcoming year maybe I can speed my own progress up.
If anybody was wondering if this was fake news from my side .. I own the films and all fukuoka his original handdrawn art and the capcom papers and the trademark (that was not my plan to be revealed) haha
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Share the films and color codes with vegemite_nick and TomDK so we can get our “homebrew” Kingpins rolling! In our PMs you said you didn’t want to reveal at the time, but now that it’s revealed, can you help a few of us get this “Capcom correct”? It’s not like making more Kingpins is feasible. The parts situation is severely limiting!

3 months later
#1232 6 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

How nice, Knapp checked it out...... that's pretty sweet.
So it's dead and buried (for years already). What a shame.
I think it's high time the peeps in this thread got together and made a game of our own: "Python's Ghost".
We'll add some Zing and some Bing..... that'll show Stern how it's done!!!!

Found the article by Knapp:
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/pinball-news-notes-last-call-for-stern-guardians-of-the-galaxy-kingpin-is-dead-new-code

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.