3CCE1E5D-6D0C-40AC-A41E-134BAA3FCB23.gif
EB3AAF44-9D54-49D7-97E2-D3A5477D373A (resized).jpeg
1D778A70-1C9F-40DC-820A-8074DFD5A9D8 (resized).jpeg
4C95C47D-52CF-43EC-AC40-2829CC946380 (resized).jpeg
A1C57DA9-7DD5-4997-9688-67D584209F6F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Compy (6 years ago)

Post #162 New display prototype solution for DMD from TPF. Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TomDK.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#658 4 years ago

I am also looking forward for this great project , but I see no game coming in 2020.
If there were pictures from a production line, parts in boxes, etc (like in the old days from DP and TBL) it would be believable that several machines will be build in 2020. But 2020 start in 3 weeks and I do not beliefe in more than 10 machines at the end of 2020.

But, however ... a great project and I hope to see a real machine in my gameroom. in pinball everything (like TBL, BBBr, Kingpin) will take its time.

Go on !!!

1 year later
#768 3 years ago

Does anybody know where are the 8 Kingpin´s ?

I guess the team from Circus Maximus has one, 2 are in pinball museums .... where are the others ?
On pictures I saw one machine with a "handdrawn" frontdecal. It was the machine from Gene Cunningham, it also had a pistol shooter rod instead the red button.

Would be nice to know.

#770 3 years ago

Yes .. therefor 8 instead of 9 .

1 month later
#788 3 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

Love the translite, even if the game doesn't get made. Found a handy spot for mine in the meantime.

Very inspired by vegemite_nick I thought how to show the translite.

IMG_0106 (resized).JPEGIMG_0106 (resized).JPEG

Quoted from Kneissl:

There's the one some crazy Aussie put together.. that should count.

That is vegemite_nick and in the video you see the awsome aussie machine

4 months later
#888 2 years ago

The translites are sold out.
But don´t worry .... to be honest .. the translites are much much too dark, whole areas are missing. They are not looking good !
If you compare with pictures from an original game you will see: Too dark, missing details, missing colors.
So a nice decoration and nice to have a KP number reserved, but not to illuminate ... mhhhh.

5 months later
#921 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Hey, I got a cool translite out of it and I’m not short a thousand dollar deposit or worse. At least they’re no where near the wrong end of other pinball failures.

The translite is too dark ...

3 months later
#968 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They have the capcom rights? I didn’t know that. Thought it was just free to grab by whomever.

If you follow the history of Capcom, WMS bought all the rights and there are technical drawings from BigBangBar out with WMS or Williams on it.
Romours they that WMS was intrested to build BBB but they figured out that is will not be easy to adopt the way more modern Capcom pcb layout to WMS and its WPC hardware. Also the strongest William coil was not strong enough for the left ramp. But this might only be storys !

Whatever rebuild there will be in the future .... it will never be the same with all its Monitors, new hardware, RGB LED stuff, etc ....
If someone is intrested to rebuild KP, it is much much simpler and cheaper than making BBB remakes.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But now with companies like Stern, Spooky and P3 kicking out killer games. I don't give a shit for this title anymore. It's dull to play in comparison to stuff that has been coming out from these companies.

That is your opinion , not everybody will follow.
For me, at least no STERN or JJP is a killer game. BBB is for me a killer game. Would never swap with any existing Stern or JJP pinball.
But for sure, the modern games are deeper, looking brighter with all the LED stuff. But thats not all in pinball. Love to details, humor ... Also a nice Early can be a killer game.
Also for sure , KP software is not ready ! But I still would love to own this game.
But who do I tell ... you have a great collection of games !

3 months later
#1022 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:At the same time, just noticed this project, it seems pretty advanced.
To my knowledge,(at least) 2 other really skills guys made it. I think that, even if the target was not manufacturing, a lot of roadblocks has been overcome.

Thanks for the warm words.
Yes, its me and PinBertl from Austria. We bought the translite from CMG and while we wait and wait , we decided to short cut and make a KP ourself.
We also made our own BBB , so we had some experience in converting one Capcom pin to an other Capcom pin.
Our project is working expect the gun mechanism under the playfield, this will be the last task. But to be honest, it is much easier to build one machine on the original CPU than starting from the scratch with P-Roc, etc, pp

We were inspired by this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-big-city-kid/page/3#post-7009410
Please all discusions about scratchbuilds in this thread.

And yes, there were several small roadblocks, specially making a playfield with only pictures.

But now: back to topic !

1 month later
#1032 1 year ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I'm just glad to have an autographed translite and was able to play one of the prototypes.

I am glad to have a autographed translite as a souvenir and a playable KP in my gamroom.
Yes, the missing communication is , at least for me, the onliest thing I miss. If the project is death ... okay. But let us know.

My secret sources told me that it is not dead and looking for an other companie to build the KP ... but that is just a secret sources rumour. It should be the job of CMG to communicate.

4 weeks later
#1044 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

how did you manage to get a complete kingpin built? that must have been some project.

My first succesfull try was a BBBr. This took me 5 years.
Than I have read about Nicks crazy projects and had a competent instructor :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-big-city-kid/page/3#post-7163906

Due to the BBBr experiences and connections, many many help from friends and pinheads all over the world I could do a rebuild on a little more professional way.
Deepdrawed ramps, 1 wireramps, lamp pcb´s, etc.

But this thread here is an other topic and I am still looking forward for the "real KP project".

2 months later
#1080 1 year ago

I have mine for some month now ... you are late

IMG_6083 (resized).JPEGIMG_6083 (resized).JPEG
#1098 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

so the hand covering where the flipper button is , no clear head attached to the game !
your just picked up a cabinet ?

If you read a lot on pinside you will figure out ...
If you search for KP cabinett you will also find the answer ...

Quoted from LTG:

Search his posts. You'll find some of his work there. An amazing person.

Thank you Lloyd !!

Quoted from Roostking:

From parts, or he is "Gene"?

No, I am just Tom

#1111 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:Apparently Kingpin has less game-specific parts than you’d think. It appears that BBB might be more complicated than Kingpin, aside from the Hotel Lex mech.
It also helps to use a donor, but I hate seeing Flipper Football’s and Breakshots destroyed when they are both good games. My FF is popular with casuals, and Breakshot is an underrated masterpiece.

The Hotel Lex is the smaller problem. We got it 100% to work, better than Capcoms original !
The trick is, Capcom used a passive EMI motor controller board. We used an active which stopps perfectly even after several uses of the slot, specially in modes with Mizzy it is used a lot.
Tha harder part is the "GUN mechanism" underneath the playfield which kickks the balls in multiball on the playfield through a large flap like on Centaur. This mechanism is still missing on mine.
Mike got it working but the balls will not turn the outer loop powerfull. So this is my ongoing project.

Quoted from LTG:

I suspect Airborns, Pinball Magic, and Flipper Football games were donors. If they didn't find spare boards. Maybe not now, but a lot of the boards were around a decade ago.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yes, Breakshot uses a few different boards, but Tom used the cabinet before he realized it’s too small!

Also people part them out for capcom parts every once in a while, sadly!

If you read the other thread , as Isochronic_Frost stated, the cabinet is different and, as LTG stated .. the boardset is different. Also the transformer is missing 2 x 50 Volt due BS has a general illumination and not all lamps controlled.

Flipper Football the cabinett is perfect, boards are perfect but the cables are very short and all connected with plugs.
Mike started from the scratch and used rest parts and just for testing a Airborne Cabinet. Great work !
I started my projects with a full machine. So wiring harnesses was not that problem.

But I think we should talking about Mikes and my project shift over to the other thread ... this is the KP remake thread about the CMG remake.

#1120 1 year ago

I am a 100% fan of Capcoms build quality !

Many mechanics are made of stainless steel.
On some machines the ballguides are made from stainless steel in high gloss quality.
The whole mechanic for the flippers is very very massive and powerfull compared to all competitors, in history and today.
The menu system and diagnostics were in the old days a milestone ! Drivers were protected against over power, shortening a row of the lamp matrix or switch cables (mo matrix!) did not destroy anything.
The selftest menu gives you more informations than any others manufacturer system in this days. Capcom was the better WMS !

If I have a look on my Pinball magic, the machine which was the first Capcom pinball on the market .. it is very high quality build and I am sure they pumped a lot of money in their first machine to place it on the marked.
They did not spend millions for brands, names, moviethemes, etc .... all pins were "free designs". The straight gameplan on PM and AB ... you love or hate it. With BBB this straightness was canceled. BBB is for me one of the best pinball machines ever. PM is the better ToM, at least for me.

For the KPr
There are pictures and videos from CMG prototype. So you can see that they work with new technologie , pc based and rgb-leds. A modern tft monitor instead of a DMD. They adopted the software to the new system, and there was no other way to do so.
There are 2 beta versions for KP out. Both have missing parts and some bugs. The "better" software just will not support a tilt mechanism as far as I know.
On many scenes while playing KP there are animations missing and just the score is displayed. The "powermeter mode" is too short and ends too abrupt.
If I start a mission on ball one and the ball gets lost, ball 2 is served and I am still in the game mode. This seems to me a bug.
So CMG has to rewrite and finsih the software.
Hopefully they will kepp the "dot style" , I dont like a monitor on this machine but I fully understand that there is a need for new hardware.
I also heard rumors that there are problems with the slotmachine and there are plans to use also a monitor/display instead of a slot reel. I hope they will not do so. On my Kingpin the slotreel is working perfect, better than on the original prototypes. If CMG ask me, they will get all support they need and they know that.
To be honest, we also got help from 1 fellow but communication was most time a oneway.
The modern sytems give great chances for animations, gamecode and sound in outstanding quality. I love playing Alien (HW) and TBL and also my last buy, LOV is great.
One point I never understand: In the 80s and 90s it was possible to run a pinball with very small amounts of data. Today a softwareinstallation is several hunderd megabytes, the system have a lot of random acees memory but need minutes to boot. All my Capcoms booting within seconds. So this is also a secret of the new technologies

2 months later
#1188 1 year ago

Here we go.
Kingpin 2.0 is ready for sale:

pasted_imageKP20 (resized).pngpasted_imageKP20 (resized).png
#1193 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Am I missing the threads on Pulp Fiction? It doesn't seem like anyone is talking about Mark Ritchie being back in the designer chair!

Pulp what ??

Right now I have the feeling that several manufacturer spy out some trailers to block "pinball collectors" spending money on competitors pinball machines.
With the actaul desaster that so far not one CCr made it to Europe , I see a long long way gor PF. Maybe better we do not talk about it right now
But yes, it will be a nice pin but "old school layout" is not really competitive with actual titles.
Even AP presented its upcoming pin right now.

I see KP will also take a time longer to show up.

Just my 2 cents

1 month later
#1201 1 year ago

Playfield ?? Playfield !!

IMG_1241 (resized).JPEGIMG_1241 (resized).JPEGIMG_1252 (resized).JPEGIMG_1252 (resized).JPEGIMG_1550 (resized).JPEGIMG_1550 (resized).JPEGIMG_1560 (resized).JPEGIMG_1560 (resized).JPEG
11 months later
#1237 16 days ago

God ..... what ??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TomDK.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here?tu=TomDK and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.