3CCE1E5D-6D0C-40AC-A41E-134BAA3FCB23.gif
EB3AAF44-9D54-49D7-97E2-D3A5477D373A (resized).jpeg
1D778A70-1C9F-40DC-820A-8074DFD5A9D8 (resized).jpeg
4C95C47D-52CF-43EC-AC40-2829CC946380 (resized).jpeg
A1C57DA9-7DD5-4997-9688-67D584209F6F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Compy (6 years ago)

Post #162 New display prototype solution for DMD from TPF. Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm looking forward to finally playing one of these. Hopefully. one day.
In my opinion the proposed LE version looks awful. I don't think this artwork is really gonna work on a newer game (there's a reason nobody has hired DC to do art for a pinball since about 1977) but I guess I could be wrong.

EXACTLY. The LE backglass from last year is TERRIBLE, and the game isn't "King Pin" it's "Kingpin". They supposedly have access to the original artist, so why not let him do the LE one? Dave Christensen's style simply doesn't match this game's existing art AT ALL.

AWESOME ORIGINAL BACKGLASS
kingpin_backglass_sml (resized).jpgkingpin_backglass_sml (resized).jpg

SAD Dave Christensen LE backglass that doesn't match the existing style at ALL. Wrong "King Pin" naming carried to the proto LE cabinet art.
kingpin-le (resized).jpgkingpin-le (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Then don't order any of Dave's art package. Order one with all original art.

I would like an LE that's an upgrade, not a downgrade. Put Dave's on the standard instead and watch the sales of the LE versions with original art blow up.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It’s Kingpin, NOT King Pin!!!

Depends on if you have the LE or not, apparently.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus what the shit is that...that isn't real is it?
Looks like a crayon drawing of a bootleg "City Heat" laserdisc.

Oh, it's real. The cabinet art prototype is better than the backglass, but still a BAD fit for this game. Does not fit AT ALL. I mean, the NAME isn't even right. Put this crap on the SuperLE and give us some LE art with the original awesome artist (that's already involved with this project anyway!)

Concept-LE-Sideart (resized).jpgConcept-LE-Sideart (resized).jpg

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Line is stupid long

UGH, I really hope they're not going to roll with the lazy Laptop-style LCD and just and an ultra-letterboxed DMD image in it with tons of black dead space top and bottom like in this picture. That looks TERRIBLE. This is another step towards half-assing the remake, and the reason I'd be happier if CGC did it like AfMr LE instead.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes, it does look terrible, but it's also a prototype. I have to think that will change.

From conversations I've had, it sounds like this is the plan for the screen as of now. Hopefully enough people say it sucks that they reconsider half-assing it.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You really are a ray of sunshine, always quick to a negative, overly dramatic opinion with little or no facts.
This is a prototype and it was done in a rush to be finished for TPF. They barely got the emulation working a week ago. Christ, if you spent half as much time asking questions as you do pontificating you could avoid constantly putting your foot in your mouth.
This is not the final game, they have a plan, but gee, screw them for wanting to bring something to show! Proof that no good deed goes unpunished. And you wonder why none of the manufacturers show games early? You're the reason why.

Christ, if you'd spend half as much time asking where I was told that as you do flying off the handle, you'd have this little nugget I was told straight from the horse's mouth:

"Hopefully that keeps the purists happy that want to play the original version along with people who like the newer sterns and spooky games with LCDs on them."

Stern and Spooky LCD format is not compatible with DMD aspect ratios. No mention of ColorDMDs or CGC's colorized LCDs as a reference point (which would be more valid), just Spooky and Stern square LCDs, which is not the road this should travel if it's a faithful recreation using emulation. If they're going the "inspired by" route, say that instead and be done with it. Manage expectations.

I want to be wrong, so please if you know that a screen with the correct DMD aspect ratio and size will be used, feel free to correct me.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Agreed, the LCD with letterboxed DMD image looks bad. I had a thought... I'm wondering if the intent is to include an "enhanced game" feature that utilizes the whole LCD, Vs. the "standard game" feature that emulates the original DMD. If that's the intent, they really should include two different speaker panel plastics. Thus the LCD could be partially masked in "standard game" mode and fully revealed in "enhanced game" mode.

I'm *GUESSING* that's the idea, but it's a bad one. The giant widescreen AfMr LE screen proved that they can do everything they need to do with a standard DMD aspect ratio with a larger screen. Plenty of real-estate to make new animations in a giant DMD form factor. Using a square LCD screen for a DMD game is lazy engineering, the DMD part will be very small with huge black areas top and bottom. I hope they abandon that idea if that is their intent.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's good, you usually are. What happens is you get some half-truth or small nugget of info, then blow that up into a frothy rant how something is the worst thing ever. You've done this in threads for Hobbit, for DI and now you're doing it in a Kingpin thread.

Examples?

Quoted from jwilson:

How about instead of going on frothy rants, you wait for them to deliver an engineering sample instead of the prototype, which is never how the final game is.

That'd be great, except that once it's to engineering sample IT'S TOO LATE and we're stuck with it. Speaking up when it's early enough to change is a much better course of action. It's called feedback, and it does result in better outcomes.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

God lord dude... its a simple speaker plastic... thats it. All the lcd screens are oversized and just masked appropriately.

ALL of them? I wasn't aware that AfMr LE had an LCD that was "masked appropriately."

Quoted from flynnibus:

They've said this was done for speed and still gives them one format that works either way... unlike a masked plastic.

That's the problem. If they're going with the small square LCD for production (and it sounds like they are), it DOES NOT WORK for the original DMD animations. The DMD becomes a tiny, narrow band in the middle of the screen. So, I'm hoping they go the CGC oversized DMD aspect ratio or the ColorDMD route. What they have now is terrible for a display. If the reason is rushing for the show, I'm completely cool with that - hats off for getting it done in a short time. But if that's the plan for the final with the "new version" of the software using the square aspect ratio and the "original version" being shown in the center of the square screen, that's not cool.

EDIT: On the stream, they just said the screen they're showing is the one they're thinking of using. BUT, they said that can change, so FEEDBACK is important to get a better outcome.

Does this look like a solution you want for the DMD display?

Kingpin-backbox-display (resized).jpgKingpin-backbox-display (resized).jpg

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You are not listening... its a rapid prototype.
They are discussing changing all parts based on cost as lomg as its plays true to the original. This includes assemblies like the trough, jets, etc.
You are harping on shit as if its a deadend decision... when they are saying just the opposite

Not listening? On the stream at TPF they literally JUST said that was the screen they were looking at using. Literally.

THEN they backed off and said things can change because they're iterating rapidly.

Which confirms that FEEDBACK is important to get the best outcome for the screen, because what they're "looking at using" is TERRIBLE.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyoz:

I wonder if PPS will stop this, got the impression that they hadn't spoken to Rick as yet. Doesn't seem that the game at TPF has any Capcom logos

For what it's worth, they said in the stream they don't anticipate any problems with licensing.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

FYI: About 200 engineering samples of Cirqus Voltaire were made before changes were applied and production began.

On Bally/Williams scale with almost 3000 for full production, okay. I think they said they'd make 30 of these Kingpin a month if they do it themselves and don't use a manufacturer. Somehow I don't think they'll be changing something as major as the screen and its aspect ratio by the time they get to engineering samples, especially if they're going "dual mode" (old and new "HD" game with new dots).

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyoz:

Great to hear, really want this game to happen.
I hope they release a run of LE's based on the original with say a mirrored backglass and a few other extras. Not a fan of the updated art for the LE, not Kingpin to me

Also they were talking about the art being too dark and "fixing" it, but with LED backlighting, I think it could be illuminated better without too much change. The existing art is GREAT. Very dynamic.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

We did not say we were fixing the art with LED Backlighting.

I didn't mean to imply that you did - bad comma placement. You were talking about dark art, I was suggesting LED lighting might fix it. Re-reading, that's obviously bad sentence construction. I was just saying that the incandescent lighting in an original does a poor job of lighting the backglass, and perhaps using LED lighting for the backglass in the remake would be enough to bring out the detail that's in the shadows of the original.

It would be AWESOME if Stan (or someone adjacent) would take a picture of the original painting so we can see what you're talking about.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

AFMrLE's screen is masked some. The bally logo is part of the screen and is customizable. There is an image you can change.
example
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/13#post-3959522

Yes, but that's a sliver of like 2" at the bottom of the otherwise appropriately-sized and aspect-ratio LCD.

1 year later
#631 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Circus Maximus is doing Kingpin to fund the Pinball Circus machine project.
LTG : )

I just wish they had gone with a traditional DMD shape rather than a smaller rectangular DMD shape on a square LCD for Kingpin. I was super-excited it was being re-done, but that one thing makes it a no-buy for me because the aesthetic is bad.

#633 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

LOL. I forgot, you are more about looks than how the pins plays. I hope it plays awesome!

Yeah, that's it. You got me. How'd you get so smart?

1 year later
#797 2 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

Unlike RAZA, the King Pin folks haven't taken a dime from anyone so that's a big nope.
That said I'm still hoping there's a chance on this. I bought a translite which will be a cool souvenir but I'd like a game to put around it.

Once it was clear that they were emulating the DMD on a big square LCD I lost interest. Do it well or don't do it. You can get color DMD format LED and LCD panels made.

9 months later
#985 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Oh snap!
KP #24 [quoted image]

I hate the way they're handling the display on this re-do.

6 months later
#1067 1 year ago
Quoted from the_one:

Any KingPin update from the Expo22?

Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gifAl-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
2 months later
#1086 1 year ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

9 Built in total and supposedly only 8 still exist. People love BBB but having played them both I think KP is the better game...not as pretty but it shoots better IMO. I bought one of the translites and would still love one of the games, if they ever build them.

Yeah, I'd love to have a CGC-style remake with the widescreen color DMD form factor and re-done hi-res art. I wasn't a fan of the direction CM was going with the laptop screens on their attempt.

1 month later
#1159 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Maybe? Maybe not? Who knows what the future brings. I’ll be excited to have ANYONE* making these.
*AP is my first thought on assembly.

CGC would be my choice. Ultra-wide color DMD with redrawn hi-res dots in the correct format. That "emulated DMD on an LCD" approach CM was doing sucked, to be blunt. I prefer Kingpin over BBB, so seeing that it may be getting done, and potentially in the original format, is great news.

#1161 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

As I told. And I will again. I own the all the original films, all original fukuoka drawings, I own the trademark and rights .I asked them to contact me and I was willing to help. Communications is a no go with these guys. And they tell people that they already have certain things without me even giving it to them….. so even if you go around me there are other reasons wy the game is not being made tho. They can make parts and all other things. So it should be a breeze if they made one. So where is the holdup … and if they don’t do it then yes maybe it’s time someone else makes it no hate here but all love to make the game

Has "someone else" contacted you yet?

1 week later
#1195 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Am I missing the threads on Pulp Fiction? It doesn't seem like anyone is talking about Mark Ritchie being back in the designer chair!

Seems like a pretty basic street level pin with maybe a ramp at the back from the leaked pic, and there's a lot of other pins to genuinely be excited about already. Available Pindrenalin is already mostly expended in the pin community. It will take a lot for it to overcome inertia and break through.

I'm interested to see the high-res pics, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.