pasted_imageKP20 (resized).png
DBC21B7F-7A3F-434F-8692-53A245D0791B (resized).jpeg
3CCE1E5D-6D0C-40AC-A41E-134BAA3FCB23.gif
EB3AAF44-9D54-49D7-97E2-D3A5477D373A (resized).jpeg
1D778A70-1C9F-40DC-820A-8074DFD5A9D8 (resized).jpeg
4C95C47D-52CF-43EC-AC40-2829CC946380 (resized).jpeg
A1C57DA9-7DD5-4997-9688-67D584209F6F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 25.
#201 6 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

The only downside to the picture Martin took was that I wasn't able to get the mad 90's jeans and the badass Granner chest hair thing going...

I actually want to recreate this photo with that team when the game is ready for production.

#202 6 years ago

Mark Ritchie, circa (whenever that picture was taken)?

Bratt (resized).jpgBratt (resized).jpg

#203 6 years ago

If your next pin is an original keytar theme I will buy 10, I need all the help I can get.

keytar (resized).jpgkeytar (resized).jpg

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I thought the exact same thing when I took my kids to see this movie.

#205 6 years ago

Thinking this would look great between Pinball Magic and Airborne!
Watching

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Thinking this would look great between Pinball Magic and Airborne!
Watching

Hmm.. James has a Pinball Magic and we have a airborne cabinet. I might be able to make a preview of how it may look happen.

#207 6 years ago

Would have to relocate my Houdini ...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

And yet some people are drooling over a game like TNA with a simple layout, simple ruleset, basic audio, basic display effects and $6k price point.
One thing Kingpin has that is missing in most games today is humor, which is a big plus to me. In my opinion Kingpin hits a good sweet spot in theme integration (ie, sound, art, display effects), fun to shoot playfield design and rule complexity. Similar to AFM. Price will be the deciding factor.

I get your point, but TNA has basic audio and basic display effects? c'mon, really?

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Love the theme and art on this title and can't wait to have the opportunity to put one in my game room. Congrats to everyone involved and hope you guys have smooth sailing from here to production.

Same here. Can't wait..

#210 6 years ago

This is a day one purchase for me...first time I can ever say that.

#211 6 years ago

Edit: Removed off topic comments

#212 6 years ago

James/Paul/Jimmy
It was a pleasure talking with you guys at TPF. It is remarkable what you have done in such a short period of time. Three smart doods.
Kingpin looks and plays great!
I wish you the best.
Wally

#213 6 years ago

Would love to see more pictures of the playfield. Is the access to under the playfield going to be same as original Capcoms?
IMO all pinball machines should have this! Best system ever!

#214 6 years ago

The game played great, awesome job! I think my only complaint was the screen size. For playing the original with the DMD emulation it was just too compressed. Everything else was awesome and I’m excited to see how this project progresses.

Don’t know if I would buy it with price, screen and final build still unknown but went ahead and picked up a translight to support the project. Looking forward to building a lightbox for it.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

The game played great, awesome job! I think my only complaint was the screen size. For playing the original with the DMD emulation it was just too compressed. Everything else was awesome and I’m excited to see how this project progresses.
Don’t know if I would buy it with price, screen and final build still unknown but went ahead and picked up a translight to support the project. Looking forward to building a lightbox for it.

Great observation on the screen! I still have to change the vertical scaling of the DMD to get the aspect ratio looking great! It’ll be fixed in short order for all the DMD stuff!

— Jimmy

#216 6 years ago

Really wish I could have made it over to see this unveiled, wonderful job. James shared some pics as this came together, and I was amazed how quickly they achieved a fully fledged game after the months of work it took me to get mine going. I have bought my translite and will enjoy the time waiting to see the game.

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Would love to see more pictures of the playfield. Is the access to under the playfield going to be same as original Capcoms?
IMO all pinball machines should have this! Best system ever!

I am curious, what is uniqueness of the original Capcom?

Quoted from Compy:

Great observation on the screen! I still have to change the vertical scaling of the DMD to get the aspect ratio looking great! It’ll be fixed in short order for all the DMD stuff!
— Jimmy

you guys did a great job in a such a short period, bought my translite and look forward to more info, updates and production

based on photos and video the vertical scaling looks like it would help and excited about the model rule set as well, for the dmd original rule set could a graphical border of some type be added around the dmd image via the spare section of the lcd to give the look of art around the dmd?

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I am curious, what is uniqueness of the original

Capcom had a unique roller system... Like a car hood you pull the playfield and it rolls toward you. You lift up and the playfield stands straight up. Easiest way to work in the playfield from both sides. You can also pull it out so that you can get behind the playfield backboard.
The display panels are hinged so that they don't slide down the rails, also the speakers are boxed in !

#219 6 years ago

I’ve got room for the trifecta as well.

D732583A-059E-4858-90EC-A3F1B5D8DE34 (resized).jpegD732583A-059E-4858-90EC-A3F1B5D8DE34 (resized).jpeg

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So true!

Capcom 1995:

F1374EAF-F79B-4619-A098-3DF1902ED9EE.jpegF1374EAF-F79B-4619-A098-3DF1902ED9EE.jpeg

#221 6 years ago

What I would like to know is if the code would be polished?
Never played this one but codes of this pinball era are used to be less deep and complexe then newer games.

#222 6 years ago

Want to know the best way to help with suggestions and criticisms?

Instead of pounding away on the keyboard for hours, use your time instead to do some side work, save a few bucks and actually go to a show like TPF and see Kingpin and many others games in person. Actually talk to the makers of the games.

These are real folks putting their own time, money, sweat and whole lives into these games. These folks are all good people, like actual “real people”! They are all willing to talk with you, answer questions, take suggestions and help in any way. Some actually have feelings, believe it or not? Hard to believe, but yeah. They have feelings because they are passionate and care.

We are in a small pond where you can actually talk with, text with, email all these folks to keep in touch. They actually answer back a lot of the time also. Realize how lucky we are and take advantage of it if you really want to help. I bet Paul will be open ears.

Kingpin came a super long way in a short period of time. It plays great. I don’t recall the game being down during any part of the weekend at TPF. Good folks are making it. We are fortunate to have these guys bringing it back and updating it. Looking forward to the progress.

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I’ve got room for the trifecta as well.

Nice ... Your PBM a reimport ? Unusual coin door?

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Never played this one but codes of this pinball era are used to be less deep and complexe then newer games.

The original code will stay original. It was 95% complete by all accounts. We will have a newer ruleset that has the full HD display package. Paul is the lead engineer on that aspect of the game. You will be able to play both on the game by selecting which one you want at startup.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Kingpin came a super long way in a short period of time. It plays great. I don’t recall the game being down during any part of the weekend at TPF. Good folks are making it. We are fortunate to have these guys bringing it back and updating it. Looking forward to the progress.

We appreciate the kind words! Yeah we got things together very quickly thanks to a bunch of different people chipping in, and a lot of late late nights/early mornings! (and a ton of Diet Mountain Dew)

Anyone with questions is encouraged to ask them, and come see us and play the game at SFGE!

-- Jimmy

#225 6 years ago

Any input from pfutz in this project?

#226 6 years ago

Better image of Capcom Breakshot showing playfield in upright position !

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Pfutz has been really supportive of what we're doing (as have the design team members that we've been able to talk to). However Pfutz wasn't the software engineer on the game, it was Tony DeFeo.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I always thought Pfutz was the main guy on it based on that photo shown a few posts back in this thread, but Pfutz just inherited the code after some of the team was laid off.

Everyone we've contacted from the original team has been very supportive. They all would like people to see their hard work.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

What I found interesting was that Steve Bowden was really enjoying playing the game. He came back a few times to play it. So for now, it appears that it has enough going on to seemingly please one of the top players in the world.

When our team really had some time to play an original, we all thought "wow, this is more complete than I thought it was".

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

What I found interesting was that Steve Bowden was really enjoying playing the game. He came back a few times to play it. So for now, it appears that it has enough going on to seemingly please one of the top players in the world.
When our team really had some time to play an original, we all thought "wow, this is more complete than I thought it was".

i see your point. But playing a game on location (and so occasionally) is not the same as buying it and play it in the home environnement. nevertheless it is a great point that top players enjoy this one.
now i speak for myself: when i used to play last game built, it is hard for me to not get quickly bored when i play 90's games...except MM (this game must be like "all planets are aligned" for me).
anyway, loving a game is a complex alchemy to get and then it is impossible to satisfy everybody.

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

... for the dmd original rule set could a graphical border of some type be added around the dmd image via the spare section of the lcd to give the look of art around the dmd?

This! Scaling would help, but those black (grey due to no local dimming) bars look awful.

Either a static or animated frame, perhaps by the original artist, would make it look so much better.

Also, it would be a shame if you don't colour the original dots, IMO, or find an enthusiast who's willing to for a small fee.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

This! Scaling would help, but those black (grey due to no local dimming) bars look awful.
Either a static or animated frame, perhaps by the original artist, would make it look so much better.
Also, it would be a shame if you don't colour the original dots, IMO, or find an enthusiast who's willing to for a small fee.

All of this has been discussed, but we were solely focused on bringing a good playable game to TPF in < 90 days, so they got pushed down the priority stack.

Now that we have it back at the shop we are thinking about what we can show off that will wow people at SFGE in < 90 days again.

We are one of the smallest teams doing some of the biggest things. I'm going to need a detox program after this project to ween myself from diet Mountain Dew though.

#234 6 years ago

I hope that that the new Kingpin is a true remake and not a knock off. What I mean is, the engineering and physical parts in the original Capcom games were extremely well done and stout. Many of the components in the remakes that have been done so far have been changed although the rules and layout have remained the same. I’m not saying that they are cheaply done, but making the same type of changes to a Capcom remake just won’t result in the same quality of of game. Capcoms are built like Rolls Royce’s and if Chevy parts are put under the hood, it would be a shame. If things are improved such as the code and artwork completion, then the potential for the new Kingpin could be recognition as one of the greatest all around pinball games ever made imho.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Many of the components in the remakes that have been done so far have been changed although the rules and layout have remained the same.

You can listen to the KP seminar on Twitch where they address the Capcom parts vs other parts.

Previous remakes - assuming you mean MMR and AFMR. Only difference is the boards and lights. All mechanical parts are the same as used in the original games. Though brand new, the parts are made to Williams specs.

LTG : )

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I hope that that the new Kingpin is a true remake and not a knock off. What I mean is, the engineering and physical parts in the original Capcom games were extremely well done and stout.

The game we brought to TPF had NOS Capcom flippers, pop bumpers, and Slings as well as as many capcom parts we could find. We are exploring using those same style of parts, but it will all depend on the cost related to them, as odds are we will not find enough parts to make the number of games we'd like to make. This means we will have to either find the original tooling for injection parts, or create new tooling which is costly.

But it is on our mind and it will just come down ultimately to if it is significantly more expensive or not to recreate capcom style parts.

Paul

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

The game we brought to TPF had NOS Capcom flippers, pop bumpers, and Slings as well as as many capcom parts we could find. We are exploring using those same style of part

I think my preference would be to use standard parts for the typical high wear replacement items wherever possible. Makes it easier when you don't have to stock special parts for just one machine.

#238 6 years ago

I wouldn't be against WPC style flippers if going the Capcom route was cost prohibitive. People will complain but the alternative would either be no KP or KP too expensive and maybe not enough orders to produce.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think my preference would be to use standard parts for the typical high wear replacement items wherever possible. Makes it easier when you don't have to stock special parts for just one machine.

And if you could find the special parts, they would be pricier than standard available Williams parts. Of which seem to be available for a long time into the future with so many companies using them and parts sellers stocking them.

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I wouldn't be against WPC style flippers if going the Capcom route was cost prohibitive. People will complain but the alternative would either be no KP or KP too expensive and maybe not enough orders to produce.

Easy to do and maybe use Capcom style coils.

#241 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos of the playfield hinge system, that looks great

#242 6 years ago

I believe the archive of our presentation can be viewed here:

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/239783818

Our part starts at about 5:00 in. I think it also has two presentation after ours. We only ramble on for an hour or so.

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Nice ... Your PBM a reimport ? Unusual coin door?

It’s an Italian re-import. I painted the coin door in hammered silver finish.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Italian re-import.

Pinballo magico.... Nice job! Looks great the single coin slot was what caught my eye!

#245 6 years ago

Don't forget to do Keychain hangers!

Keychains (resized).JPGKeychains (resized).JPG

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I am curious, what is uniqueness of the original Capcom?

Quoted from transprtr4u:

You can also pull it out so that you can get behind the playfield backboard.
The display panels are hinged so that they don't slide down the rails, also the speakers are boxed in !

I thought that's the aspect that was most unique myself: pictures of it... Very useful and a little daunting. Also fun to show off.

I like how Capcom didn't just do everything status quo, in a lot of ways they re-invented the wheel in better ways.

PM-LiftPF (resized).jpgPM-LiftPF (resized).jpg

PM-LiftPF2 (resized).JPGPM-LiftPF2 (resized).JPG

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

The original code will stay original. It was 95% complete by all accounts. We will have a newer ruleset that has the full HD display package. Paul is the lead engineer on that aspect of the game. You will be able to play both on the game by selecting which one you want at startup.

We appreciate the kind words! Yeah we got things together very quickly thanks to a bunch of different people chipping in, and a lot of late late nights/early mornings! (and a ton of Diet Mountain Dew)
Anyone with questions is encouraged to ask them, and come see us and play the game at SFGE!
-- Jimmy

Sorry, haven't seen the video yet of the talk so don't know if these questions were addressed:

You say the original code will stay original; will you be running the publicly available rom images? Reason I ask is that I like knowing that if I'd like to make a change to one of my games behavior, I can just spin up an emulator, modify the code and burn a new rom image. Will the system you are considering allow dropping in different ROM images in place of the original ROMs?

Are you planning on implementing DRM or will this be an open architecture system?

Just wanted to say that this game has been on my want list since I played it at CAX a few years, so this would be my first NIB purchase (already purchased the translite online), so looking forward to following your progress on its development!

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

Don't forget to do Keychain hangers!

We made some different ones that we brought to TPF that you can see here: http://www.circusmaximusgames.com/product/kingpin-key-fobs

But we will make those original ones too. We have the black line art for those, just didn't have a full color version to work off of.

Paul

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from mjenison:

Sorry, haven't seen the video yet of the talk so don't know if these questions were addressed:
You say the original code will stay original; will you be running the publicly available rom images? Reason I ask is that I like knowing that if I'd like to make a change to one of my games behavior, I can just spin up an emulator, modify the code and burn a new rom image. Will the system you are considering allow dropping in different ROM images in place of the original ROMs?
Are you planning on implementing DRM or will this be an open architecture system?
Just wanted to say that this game has been on my want list since I played it at CAX a few years, so this would be my first NIB purchase (already purchased the translite online), so looking forward to following your progress on its development!

These are good questions. My background is with the P-ROC line of control systems from Multimorphic. We don't just talk about open architecture in pinball, we invented the very concept of it as it applies to this industry.

Anything that makes sense to keep open that won't piss third parties off will be kept open. Right now we're running stock ROM images, so yes, theoretically you could swap them out. Of course you do that at your own risk.

The source code might not be open source, but the architecture itself is completely available. Of course, for example, if we ended up using PinMAME for the core emulation, we'd open source the emulator as per the license agreement.

I have a unique experience as it pertains to open source licensing, and we'll make sure we do right by you, our customers, and the open source community whose shoulders we stand on.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

We made some different ones that we brought to TPF that you can see here: http://www.circusmaximusgames.com/product/kingpin-key-fobs
But we will make those original ones too. We have the black line art for those, just didn't have a full color version to work off of.
Paul

Dont forget cutout coaster,hat/cap and tshirt/polo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.