pasted_imageKP20 (resized).png
DBC21B7F-7A3F-434F-8692-53A245D0791B (resized).jpeg
3CCE1E5D-6D0C-40AC-A41E-134BAA3FCB23.gif
EB3AAF44-9D54-49D7-97E2-D3A5477D373A (resized).jpeg
1D778A70-1C9F-40DC-820A-8074DFD5A9D8 (resized).jpeg
4C95C47D-52CF-43EC-AC40-2829CC946380 (resized).jpeg
A1C57DA9-7DD5-4997-9688-67D584209F6F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 25.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Is it running the original monochrome dots? Or have they colorized them already?

Well, I saw one screen in color. That must had been the new code that you can choose to play.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

I love the grey. To me, it looks like a page out of a graphic novel and the color fits the feel of the mobster scene.

Me too. I also have nothing else with a grey cab in my line-up, so it would be different and stand out in a good way.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

I love the grey. To me, it looks like a page out of a graphic novel and the color fits the feel of the mobster scene.

Would you change the gangsters' suit colors then? There's a whole lot of grey going on there! But asking Stan Fukuoka what the story was is probably the best place to start.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Would you change the gangsters' suit colors then? There's a whole lot of grey going on there! But asking Stan Fukuoka what the story was is probably the best place to start.

1. Colors can be closer to each other without having to be changed
2. Just got my GOT ready to sell and noticed the Hound is on the side art...never even seen the side of the game.

#105 6 years ago

The machine that was built to use at TPF looks to be using the Capcom flipper assemblies/coils. 05-MoreWires (resized).jpg05-MoreWires (resized).jpg04-StartOfWiring (resized).jpg04-StartOfWiring (resized).jpg

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Line is stupid long

Damn that looks nice!!

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The machine that was built to use at TPF looks to be using the Capcom flipper assemblies/coils.

My understanding is that the prototype is using mostly original parts and mechs, just for the proof of concept, while production games will use modern parts like Williams style opto trough and Williams flippers.

On the cabinet, I like the grey. I just wish the artwork filled it all in better. I suppose it's like Taxi that way.

#108 6 years ago

Any chance this will be less than 8k?

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Line is stupid long

UGH, I really hope they're not going to roll with the lazy Laptop-style LCD and just and an ultra-letterboxed DMD image in it with tons of black dead space top and bottom like in this picture. That looks TERRIBLE. This is another step towards half-assing the remake, and the reason I'd be happier if CGC did it like AfMr LE instead.

#111 6 years ago

Posted on Facebook.

FB_IMG_1521249685954 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1521249685954 (resized).jpg

#112 6 years ago

Looks cool, played well. I'm excited and intrigued.

20180316_183846 (resized).jpg20180316_183846 (resized).jpg

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

UGH, I really hope they're not going to roll with the lazy Laptop-style LCD and just and an ultra-letterboxed DMD image in it with tons of black dead space top and bottom like in this picture. That looks TERRIBLE. This is another step towards half-assing the remake, and the reason I'd be happier if CGC did it like AfMr LE instead.

Yes, it does look terrible, but it's also a prototype. I have to think that will change.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes, it does look terrible, but it's also a prototype. I have to think that will change.

From conversations I've had, it sounds like this is the plan for the screen as of now. Hopefully enough people say it sucks that they reconsider half-assing it.

#115 6 years ago

Project needs an art director.

#116 6 years ago

I hope they keep the cabinet and PF exactly as original. It's cool as it is. I was excited to see it here in TX, I have #41 translite. Now just need the pin to go with it.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

From conversations I've had, it sounds like this is the plan for the screen as of now. Hopefully enough people say it sucks that they reconsider half-assing it.

Maybe that screen will only be in the LE.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

I hope they keep the cabinet and PF exactly as original. It's cool as it is. I was excited to see it here in TX, I have #41 translite. Now just need the pin to go with it.

how do you know your #41

#119 6 years ago

I got it at tpf and he showed me the list where I was #41.

#121 6 years ago

Really hope the screen gets figured out... it dont look good imo.... needs to be colored this day in age. Color dmd wont work bc of the platform so the team needs to figure something out as it will hurt sales imo if left as is.... at least for me.

#122 6 years ago

In line now to play Kingpin. 5 peoyin front of me. If this game was that great there would be 20 people in front of me. Don’t get too excited yet folks.....

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You really are a ray of sunshine, always quick to a negative, overly dramatic opinion with little or no facts.

This is a prototype and it was done in a rush to be finished for TPF. They barely got the emulation working a week ago. Christ, if you spent half as much time asking questions as you do pontificating you could avoid constantly putting your foot in your mouth.

This is not the final game, they have a plan, but gee, screw them for wanting to bring something to show! Proof that no good deed goes unpunished. And you wonder why none of the manufacturers show games early? You're the reason why.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They've supposedly been working on it for 4-5 months with a small crew ... give them a break.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You really are a ray of sunshine, always quick to a negative, overly dramatic opinion with little or no facts.
This is a prototype and it was done in a rush to be finished for TPF. They barely got the emulation working a week ago. Christ, if you spent half as much time asking questions as you do pontificating you could avoid constantly putting your foot in your mouth.
This is not the final game, they have a plan, but gee, screw them for wanting to bring something to show! Proof that no good deed goes unpunished. And you wonder why none of the manufacturers show games early? You're the reason why.

Christ, if you'd spend half as much time asking where I was told that as you do flying off the handle, you'd have this little nugget I was told straight from the horse's mouth:

"Hopefully that keeps the purists happy that want to play the original version along with people who like the newer sterns and spooky games with LCDs on them."

Stern and Spooky LCD format is not compatible with DMD aspect ratios. No mention of ColorDMDs or CGC's colorized LCDs as a reference point (which would be more valid), just Spooky and Stern square LCDs, which is not the road this should travel if it's a faithful recreation using emulation. If they're going the "inspired by" route, say that instead and be done with it. Manage expectations.

I want to be wrong, so please if you know that a screen with the correct DMD aspect ratio and size will be used, feel free to correct me.

#126 6 years ago

While it was cool to finally get to play one it did not blow my mind or anything. Played like my pinball magic I used to have so still had that Capcom feel. It was fun. Not sure they can charge anymore than a stern pro and sell many.

#127 6 years ago

cooling looking game, hoping someone is bringing them to Australia

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

While it was cool to finally get to play one it did not blow my mind or anything. Played like my pinball magic I used to have so still had that Capcom feel. It was fun. Not sure they can charge anymore than a stern pro and sell many.

I think the redone code and graphics will help it alot ... it will b like 2 games in one....

#129 6 years ago

This is exciting. My thoughts on using Williams flippers though would be like re-recording Appetite for Destruction and giving Slash a Fender Telecaster. The snappy and power adjustable flippers are a big part of the Capcom feel. This is definitely a boutique only type release. As with all these games one has to consider the hype and excitement is peaking now and at release time it will be competing the the hype and excitement of what’s coming out at that time and in future. Best wishes to the team.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

This is exciting. My thoughts on using Williams flippers though would be like re-recording Appetite for Destruction and giving Slash a Fender Telecaster. The snappy and power adjustable flippers are a big part of the Capcom feel. This is definitely a boutique only type release. As with all these games one has to consider the hype and excitement is peaking now and at release time it will be competing the the hype and excitement of what’s coming out at that time and in future. Best wishes to the team.

It is the software more than the hardware that creates the Capcom feel, and of course allows the adjustment. I suspect it is the way the coils are pulsed. I am using the worst (Stern early 2000 mechs!!) in my Kingpin and the game feels all but identical to my other Capcoms, certainly near enough that I can't really tell the difference.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

It is the software more than the hardware that creates the Capcom feel, and of course allows the adjustment. I suspect it is the way the coils are pulsed. I am using the worst (Stern early 2000 mechs!!) in my Kingpin and the game feels all but identical to my other Capcoms, certainly near enough that I can't really tell the difference.

Being one of the original owners of a kingpin how do you like the game and how does it hold up long term?

#132 6 years ago

I hope the display is better then my Jetsons because it Sucks !

If it looks like JJP screen then add chrome trim and I,m in !

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I hope the display is better then my Jetsons because it Sucks !
If it looks like JJP screen then add chrome trim and I,m in !

It looks like stern size lcd...

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Agreed, the LCD with letterboxed DMD image looks bad. I had a thought... I'm wondering if the intent is to include an "enhanced game" feature that utilizes the whole LCD, Vs. the "standard game" feature that emulates the original DMD. If that's the intent, they really should include two different speaker panel plastics. Thus the LCD could be partially masked in "standard game" mode and fully revealed in "enhanced game" mode.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Agreed, the LCD with letterboxed DMD image looks bad. I had a thought... I'm wondering if the intent is to include an "enhanced game" feature that utilizes the whole LCD, Vs. the "standard game" feature that emulates the original DMD. If that's the intent, they really should include two different speaker panel plastics. Thus the LCD could be partially masked in "standard game" mode and fully revealed in "enhanced game" mode.

I'm *GUESSING* that's the idea, but it's a bad one. The giant widescreen AfMr LE screen proved that they can do everything they need to do with a standard DMD aspect ratio with a larger screen. Plenty of real-estate to make new animations in a giant DMD form factor. Using a square LCD screen for a DMD game is lazy engineering, the DMD part will be very small with huge black areas top and bottom. I hope they abandon that idea if that is their intent.

#136 6 years ago

Having got to know Kingpin pretty intimately, and having had BBB since it was released, I have come to think of KP as a little better than BBB, mostly due to its "flow".
Art - BBB > KP
Theme - BBB > KP
Playfield layout/shotmap - KP > BBB
Audio - BBB > KP (just)
Toys - KP > BBB (mostly due to the gun mech shooting the ball out from under the playfield)
The ramps are a work of art in their placement and the way they add to the classic fan layout.
It has that classic nineties set up where smart rules mattered, and shortcomings not attempted to be compensated by lots of toys and gimmicks. In that respect, and with its flow, it reminds me of AFM (not gameplay wise, but as a package). The modes are great (albeit needing some work to polish unless there are better ROMs out there that I have) and a couple of clever wizard modes at the end. I am just typing an email to James with a few rules to take a look at (although they probably already have). With the rules polished a little, this will be a classic.

For me, artwork is way way better specially cabinet ( with black light), theme (just personal taste), audio ( love this atmosphere) and also toy ( what a ramp with alien/bar and so many diverters, tube dancer, ramp tube).
I could not fairly say If layout/shoot map and gameplay are better on KP or BBB as I have never played KP
So when people say KP is better to play, i’m very excited about this remake ( all the more as it comes with LCD screen)

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe they can talk to Stan Fukuoka about it, it's a little hard to believe the grey was anything other than a placeholder (especially since the gangsters' suits are just a different shade of grey, though maybe those were meant to be colored differently as well). Consulting Stan on those color decisions would allow them to keep the project "authentic" while substantially improving the look of the cab sides.

They could put this car with gangster shooting in its context, I mean in town, shooting again the police..whatever they want, even to reduce a bit the car scale. Just my 2 cents

#138 6 years ago

Thanks everyone who stopped by to give it a play today. The game handled 7 hours of straight gameplay admirably.

I've already lost my voice talking to everyone about the project.

Paul

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

Thanks everyone who stopped by to give it a play today. The game handled 7 hours of straight gameplay admirably.
Paul

Just do it right and it would be a best seller for sure.
Don’t forget EU customers...

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

Paul

Thanks for doing this.....

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thanks for doing this.....

It has been quite a blast and tiring all at the same time to go from nothing to a playable game in essentially 2 1/2 months. The first screw was turned on Dec 29th, 2017.

"The game we built in 2 1/2 months is exactly what we will ship" said no one ever.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

It has been quite a blast and tiring all at the same time to go from nothing to a playable game in essentially 2 1/2 months. The first screw was turned on Dec 29th, 2017.
"The game we built in 2 1/2 months is exactly what we will ship" said no one ever.

Wow.. very impressive to say the least... great job

#143 6 years ago

I trust your expertise in this field. I’m just going off my experience with WPC flippers. I hope I get to play one of these one day. Nick are you on AA?

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I want to be wrong

That's good, you usually are. What happens is you get some half-truth or small nugget of info, then blow that up into a frothy rant how something is the worst thing ever. You've done this in threads for Hobbit, for DI and now you're doing it in a Kingpin thread.

How about instead of going on frothy rants, you wait for them to deliver an engineering sample instead of the prototype, which is never how the final game is.

#145 6 years ago

I think it’s really cool that SNL’s Norm McDonald reprised his Jeopardy skit Burt Reynolds character for the LE backglass!

97EEC8F4-F8CD-4883-8D5D-25786E35EF98 (resized).jpeg97EEC8F4-F8CD-4883-8D5D-25786E35EF98 (resized).jpeg
E0CE64FC-936C-4C21-B513-61EE16EDBEE7 (resized).pngE0CE64FC-936C-4C21-B513-61EE16EDBEE7 (resized).png

#146 6 years ago

Having had one of the original 8 for a while, I’m excited this is getting done. Original artwork for me!

#147 6 years ago

Looks awesome

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

I hope they keep the cabinet and PF exactly as original.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Color dmd wont work

Quoted from lllvjr:

Original artwork for me!

I agree I want original artwork, and they need to figure out how to format for color DMD. I would prefer to have the DMD original size as well. I actually like the original DMD pixels

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I agree I want original artwork, and they need to figure out how to format for color DMD. I would prefer to have the DMD original size as well. I actually like the original DMD pixels

DMD orignial size or real DMD Since it's a remake, it would be great to keep the old feeling as it was same as the remake of BBB.

#150 6 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the trend of large display screens, to me they detract focus from the play field but since this is where modern designs are heading it's probably something they need to have to be competitive in the market.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here/page/3?hl=rattmuscle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.