pasted_imageKP20 (resized).png
DBC21B7F-7A3F-434F-8692-53A245D0791B (resized).jpeg
3CCE1E5D-6D0C-40AC-A41E-134BAA3FCB23.gif
EB3AAF44-9D54-49D7-97E2-D3A5477D373A (resized).jpeg
1D778A70-1C9F-40DC-820A-8074DFD5A9D8 (resized).jpeg
4C95C47D-52CF-43EC-AC40-2829CC946380 (resized).jpeg
A1C57DA9-7DD5-4997-9688-67D584209F6F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 25.
#1201 1 year ago

Playfield ?? Playfield !!

IMG_1241 (resized).JPEGIMG_1241 (resized).JPEGIMG_1252 (resized).JPEGIMG_1252 (resized).JPEGIMG_1550 (resized).JPEGIMG_1550 (resized).JPEGIMG_1560 (resized).JPEGIMG_1560 (resized).JPEG
#1202 1 year ago

Does this mean gears are turning?

#1203 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Does this mean gears are turning?

Let's hope so !!

#1204 1 year ago

No not yet. What TomDK did was making some playfields from drawings and pictures and he did a amazing job. As he wanted to homebrew a game as I think he could not stand the wait from CM haha

He is showing what he made a while back. These pf have nothing to do with the original films/files

What tom is doing has nothing to do with me . Although I talk to tom from time to time.

Again i respect him for what he did based on some old files and friends around him making the art

#1205 1 year ago

Bring it on AMSNL ! Would love to see this get built!

1 month later
#1206 10 months ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

This is wy you need original films. As scanning or vectoring is nice but will never be the same and if you don’t have the right color codes it will always be a hit and miss.same with plastics and translite there are 63 films for pf,plastics,cabinet, apron etc et.as I told CM I wanted to give my help and gain then acces to the films so they could finish there adventure. I had no responds to make this work so I don’t know if they where just blaming the playfield or that there where other issues .But now things have changed… and they have to come to me also for other things . They make there lives so much harder without it ever was a reason. I’m still open to them but I’m not reaching out so let’s see what happens in the upcoming year maybe I can speed my own progress up.
If anybody was wondering if this was fake news from my side .. I own the films and all fukuoka his original handdrawn art and the capcom papers and the trademark (that was not my plan to be revealed) haha
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Share the films and color codes with vegemite_nick and TomDK so we can get our “homebrew” Kingpins rolling! In our PMs you said you didn’t want to reveal at the time, but now that it’s revealed, can you help a few of us get this “Capcom correct”? It’s not like making more Kingpins is feasible. The parts situation is severely limiting!

#1207 10 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Share the films and color codes with vegemite_nick and TomDK so we can get our “homebrew” Kingpins rolling! In our PMs you said you didn’t want to reveal at the time, but now that it’s revealed, can you help a few of us get this “Capcom correct”? It’s not like making more Kingpins is feasible. The parts situation is severely limiting!

When the time is ready, correct playfields maybe available. At this moment I’m still putting all the pieces in place . Scanning of all the original films have been done by a special company ,so these are secured for life . They just need cleaning. We ll see what the future brings

And the parts issues is only a capcom original matter. A remake will never be done on capcom only parts and or computer system. As from a money standpoint and serviceable things it’s just not doable

#1208 10 months ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

When the time is ready, correct playfields maybe available. At this moment I’m still putting all the pieces in place . Scanning of all the original films have been done by a special company ,so these are secured for life . They just need cleaning. We ll see what the future brings
And the parts issues is only a capcom original matter. A remake will never be done on capcom only parts and or computer system. As from a money standpoint and serviceable things it’s just not doable

At this point I’d be fine with P-roc or whatever systems are used these days.

2 months later
#1209 7 months ago

I bought the translite as a way to secure my spot like 5 years ago...

So, what's up with this?

#1210 7 months ago
Quoted from JAG94:

I bought the translite as a way to secure my spot like 5 years ago...
So, what's up with this?

It appears as a no go.....
Really sad to see it this far, then go silent and what appears to be Given Up.

#1211 7 months ago

The real travesty is no Pinball Circus

#1212 7 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

The real travesty is no Pinball Circus

Agreed, this is one I really want.

#1213 7 months ago

they handled it poorly when the project died. transparency would have been preferable over radio silence. wonder what caused it to collapse? we may never know.

#1214 7 months ago

So this is for sure a dead project now?

#1215 7 months ago
Quoted from JAG94:

So this is for sure a dead project now?

Seem like the writing is on the wall with this one. Really sucks as they put a ton of time into it. I enjoyed playing the proto at shows.

#1216 7 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Seem like the writing is on the wall with this one. Really sucks as they put a ton of time into it. I enjoyed playing the proto at shows.

If I remember correctly (maybe not) the final update was they were looking for someone to manufacture Kingpin right? I don't remember what year that was.... 2020? 2019?

It suggests they were either finished or close to finished, with the aim KP would fund Circus (as they said)..... I suspect the costs to setup a line, and the outsourcing markup meant it wasn't viable..... AND since pinball was super hot at the time, no manufacturer was willing to do contract pinball manufacturing for them since they couldn't get their own games out the door (CGC).

I do wonder what the initial outlay would be setting up a contracted line, filling parts, creating the plastic molds, outsourcing the mech construction.... all with low initial build numbers (say 300). I wouldn't be surprised if the per unit cost was above $6000 in such low numbers...... so would they have had funding for a minimum 300 run with the upfront 1.8 million? Probably not. Then they would have warranty and service issues to setup, stinking taxes, distros (if they were going to have distros - I don't see how), and then figuring out how much they'd need to carry on and build the much more complex & expensive Circus.
Pinball Circus would be double or triple the cost.... so they'd need to make a minimum of $6000 per unit on Kingpin if the initial investment would be reused, and a $12000 profit needed if not.
Can you imagine a $12,000-$18,000 Kingpin with no support, no distro network, no infrastructure at all..... and then a $18,000-$24,000 Pinball Circus?
Really it's no wonder it died. It was an elaborate homebrew project with a larger team than you usually see, a great story people could grab on to (Python's death) and a title no one could ever dream of getting (Circus).
IMO the nail in the coffin was when they switched gears and stopped Circus development for the much simpler KP. They needed funding, and they weren't willing to do what was needed to get it. The sad thing is they could have had it, but the desire for control was too great.... they ended up with 100% of nothing rather than ??% of something. See it all the time - founders not wanting to take on investors..... and it's understandable. Angel investors and Venture Cap will rake you over the coals and rob you blind, but when you're starting up there isn't much choice (been there myself).
Sure would have been nice if they'd have communicated the end and the challenges which couldn't be overcome..... but I'm sure it's extremely painful.
Maybe they will decide to take on investment at some point and continue, but I don't think the environment will allow that anymore: the window of opportunity has closed.
Happens all the time: stillborn companies.

#1217 7 months ago

Maybe someone could take this project over?

#1219 7 months ago

Disregard

#1220 7 months ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

Well said.
I don't feel like they did anyone wrong or owe anyone an explanation. They tried to get it rolling and came up short, nbd

#1221 7 months ago

Apparently I can't pinside anymore.

I was attempting to quote and agree with PinStalker.

#1223 7 months ago
Quoted from JAG94:

Maybe someone could take this project over?

Several people have reached out and get nothing, not even a courtesy response.

#1224 7 months ago

Let's get Knapp Arcade on the case!!

#1225 7 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Let's get Knapp Arcade on the case!!

Great idea!

#1226 7 months ago

Well at least I have my translite. Will just put the money into another machine. Unfortunate this didn't come to fruition.

#1227 7 months ago

How nice, Knapp checked it out...... that's pretty sweet.

So it's dead and buried (for years already). What a shame.

I think it's high time the peeps in this thread got together and made a game of our own: "Python's Ghost".
We'll add some Zing and some Bing..... that'll show Stern how it's done!!!!

#1228 7 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I think it's high time the peeps in this thread got together and made a game of our own: "Python's Ghost".

Dead or not, here is the presentation from 5 years ago… it was a good start, i don’t get what happened

#1229 7 months ago
91YfKcLc71L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg91YfKcLc71L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
#1230 7 months ago
Quoted from Warzard:

i don’t get what happened

Ha! that Loflin guy used to go off on crazy rants all the time, they were quite entertaining. Then he'd delete them all the next day

2 weeks later
#1231 6 months ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Dead or not, here is the presentation from 5 years ago… it was a good start, i don’t get what happened

It was but than they fucked it up. Not even that CM made no progress after selling all the translites (I still have my spot) they forgotten to renew the KP licence package and it has gone to AMSNL (see post #1160 and #1207). Without getting an agreement with the licence owner CM will do nothing wrt KP nowadays.
And as far as I know there are no efforts from CM in that direction. ;(
Pat

#1232 6 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Found the article by Knapp:
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/pinball-news-notes-last-call-for-stern-guardians-of-the-galaxy-kingpin-is-dead-new-code

6 months later
#1234 18 days ago

I hope you’re right….

I don’t wants to pay $14,999 for it though. I’d think this and Big Bang Bar have enough behind it to warrant more than 500 games.

Either way, I hope it gets built!

#1236 17 days ago

I'm surprised people care about Kingpin while also not giving a rat's ass about Godfather.

#1237 16 days ago

God ..... what ??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.