Topic Stats

• 497 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by pkiefert
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 46 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

zzzz20190427_054026 (resized).jpg
kingpin (resized).png
03A7244E-2255-4E42-A883-0FC229BF1A85 (resized).jpeg
ABCE2297-2146-48A6-9ACB-D30B9CDD86B4 (resized).jpeg
6556C2B4-F0DD-4A39-B5B6-E89F656BA455.gif
hotdog.gif
IMG_1270 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 3.39.59 PM (resized).png
F8A5A28A-2A16-4986-9C83-1D71839D8CB7 (resized).png
PoloShirt (resized).jpeg
PM-LiftPF2 (resized).JPG
PM-LiftPF (resized).jpg
Keychains (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
F1374EAF-F79B-4619-A098-3DF1902ED9EE.jpeg
D732583A-059E-4858-90EC-A3F1B5D8DE34 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 497 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from musketd:

I have played king pin and have been collecting for a long time and let me say this king pin is a Mark Ritchie classic and easily a top ten game of all time; it’s a flow monster with some killer wizard modes. I can’t wait

You’ve had a few “all time bests” in your time though, eh Derek?

Great one day, greta the next ....

rd

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Guys, I don’t want to burst your bubble ... I see most of the excitement is from guys who haven’t played it.
I’ll give you the tip. It isn’t $50,000 because it’s a super great game.
It’s ok.
Like Big Bang Bar is ok. That isn’t worth $15,000 because it’s a great game either. Sure is pretty though ...
Maybe get some gametime in on KP before you order, is the point I’m trying to make.
Actually, that’s sage advice for any game.
rd

And how it could be possible to play this one?
Anyway I agree...and I really would like people who played it explain what is great to play with this one.
I don’t think any videos out there do justice to it.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I personally think purely as a game that Kingpin is better than Big Bang Bar. No Capcom has amazing rules, they're a product of their era, but it's more interesting for sure.

That puzzles me as I really liked BBB and always thought BBB had the best ramp ever made. Curious to know why KP has a better gameplay.
I prefer by far the theme and atmosphere of BBB. Btw, what is the theme of Kingpin?

#54 1 year ago

It’s Kingpin, NOT King Pin!!!

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Depends on if you have the LE or not, apparently.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Btw, what is the theme of Kingpin?

1920's gangsters.

#57 1 year ago

I never played BBB but have played kingpin and I thought it was a great game. I would be in on a remake but not holding my breath it will happen as scheduled.

#58 1 year ago

Yeah Big Bang bar is a awesome game too but kingpin is just such a great and smooth player

#59 1 year ago

Translite ordered.
Can't wait for this one. Fun game with a different theme.
It'll look perfect sitting next to a BBB.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Quoted from vireland:

Depends on if you have the LE or not, apparently.

so, regular edition =
gangsters (resized).jpg

and the LE =
king pin.gif

#61 1 year ago

I played an original that was next to a Big Bang Bar and I loved it thought it was a great game especially compared to the Big Bang that just seemed ok to me.

#62 1 year ago

I will be on the pre-order list for KP whenever it's available. This is awesome!

#63 1 year ago

Thank's to everyone for their enthusiasm for the game. The past 36 hours have been quite amazing.

Stop by our booth and check it out. The translites are selling quicker than we could ever have imagined, and we have 35 of them in our booth to be sold during the show if you are here and interested.

Paul

#64 1 year ago

I played KP at the Pinball Museum in DC and own BBB since 2007. Both are really solid paying games and beautiful to look at. KP shots a lot more satisfying. KP callouts/sounds and music are pretty awesome.

#65 1 year ago

Sounds interesting.

Definitely prefer the original art to the proposed LE stuff.

I do think they should consider changing the cabinet's colour from grey to either something a bit more lively, or black. Aside from personal preference, I suspect the muted almost earth tone colour wouldn't be very popular with operators, and will look TERRIBLE with scratches.

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

Thank's to everyone for their enthusiasm for the game. The past 36 hours have been quite amazing.

Stop by our booth and check it out. The translites are selling quicker than we could ever have imagined, and we have 35 of them in our booth to be sold during the show if you are here and interested.

Paul

Hi Paul.
Thanks for showing up here with updates. Appreciate it.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

Paul

hope there will get some EU distributors...

#68 1 year ago

When I hear Kingpin, I always think the fat villain from Spiderman and Daredevil comics.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

When I hear Kingpin, I always think the fat villain from Spiderman and Daredevil comics.

He's not fat, he's just big boned.

#70 1 year ago

Great news! I play Kingpin a couple times a year at pinball shows and it is always my favorite. For whatever reason, it's just FUN. Most likely I'll buy one. Couple questions I'm curious about. 1) Did you guys have to get a license from PPS in order to build this? 2) Will the flippers be standard Williams flippers or will they be the slightly different Capcom design?

#71 1 year ago

That puzzles me as I really liked BBB and always thought BBB had the best ramp ever made. Curious to know why KP has a better gameplay.
I prefer by far the theme and atmosphere of BBB. Btw, what is the theme of Kingpin?

Just like any other game, it is a personal preference.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Kingpin pinball.

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

that doesn't match the existing style at ALL. Wrong "King Pin" naming carried to the proto LE cabinet art.

Jesus what the shit is that...that isn't real is it?
Looks like a crayon drawing of a bootleg "City Heat" laserdisc.

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh, it's real. The cabinet art prototype is better than the backglass, but still a BAD fit for this game. Does not fit AT ALL. I mean, the NAME isn't even right. Put this crap on the SuperLE and give us some LE art with the original awesome artist (that's already involved with this project anyway!)

Concept-LE-Sideart (resized).jpg

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

LMAO!!!! This made my day...

#76 1 year ago

I like the original artwork

Plus I noticed that the backglass has a jackpot multiplier. I played the game but dont remember if that was used or not but if it was I wouldn't want to lose that feature. I did not see it in the LE backglass.

image-5 (resized).jpg

image-A3 (resized).jpg

#77 1 year ago

Stan's art is awesome and grabs you right away. Why isn't he doing more artwork for pins?

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Oh, it's real. The cabinet art prototype is better than the backglass, but still a BAD fit for this game. Does not fit AT ALL. I mean, the NAME isn't even right. Put this crap on the SuperLE and give us some LE art with the original awesome artist (that's already involved with this project anyway!)

why is the dude in that car so tiny? if he got out of the car, he'd barely be taller than the front wheel!

#79 1 year ago

I Think ole Dave has lost a bit off his fast ball since the Nixon years.

#80 1 year ago

IMO I love the LE art,its different.Ofcourse Stan's art is awesome. BTW Mark Ritchie look badass with his 2 tommy gun

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I Think ole Dave has lost a bit off his fast ball since the Nixon years.

Looks like some early drafts for Old Chicago lying around

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

why is the dude in that car so tiny?

Midget gangster!!

#83 1 year ago

I really dislike this grey background on the cabinet. It feels unfinished. What a pity

#84 1 year ago

Since this one has my potential money, will it ship with a color display? I sure hope so.

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Midget gangster!!

Ant Hill Mob from Wacky Races.

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Midget gangster!!

Technically they would be “Little People Gangsters”

#87 1 year ago

Keep all original artwork please
Looks way cool

Will have a spot right next to my Old Chicago

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Technically they would be “Little People Gangsters”

Sorry, I'm not very PC

#89 1 year ago

I really dislike this grey background on the cabinet. It feels unfinished. What a pity

I agree, Filling in the grey would be an awesome way to incorporate new with old. Color Display / add ons - its a 90's prototype, complete it; make it better in 2019. Theme is great but a lot of it has to do with its rarity - can get real old real quick when rarity is no longer a variable; we need more, more, more. "turn it up and rip the knob off" Either way, pretty cool.

#90 1 year ago

Having got to know Kingpin pretty intimately, and having had BBB since it was released, I have come to think of KP as a little better than BBB, mostly due to its "flow".

Art - BBB > KP
Theme - BBB > KP
Playfield layout/shotmap - KP > BBB
Audio - BBB > KP (just)
Toys - KP > BBB (mostly due to the gun mech shooting the ball out from under the playfield)

The ramps are a work of art in their placement and the way they add to the classic fan layout.

It has that classic nineties set up where smart rules mattered, and shortcomings not attempted to be compensated by lots of toys and gimmicks. In that respect, and with its flow, it reminds me of AFM (not gameplay wise, but as a package). The modes are great (albeit needing some work to polish unless there are better ROMs out there that I have) and a couple of clever wizard modes at the end. I am just typing an email to James with a few rules to take a look at (although they probably already have). With the rules polished a little, this will be a classic.

#91 1 year ago

I really can't understand why they would keep it.

Yellow, orange, black, blue ... all would look good.

#92 1 year ago

Line is stupid long

20180316_172021 (resized).jpg

#93 1 year ago

Dam ...wish i was there

#94 1 year ago

Quoted from bbble:

I agree, Filling in the grey would be an awesome way to incorporate new with old.

Quoted from rubberducks:

I really can't understand why they would keep it. Yellow, orange, black, blue ... all would look good.

Maybe they can talk to Stan Fukuoka about it, it's a little hard to believe the grey was anything other than a placeholder (especially since the gangsters' suits are just a different shade of grey, though maybe those were meant to be colored differently as well). Consulting Stan on those color decisions would allow them to keep the project "authentic" while substantially improving the look of the cab sides.

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Dam ...wish i was there

I at least appreciate it NOT having a red carpet.

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

Line is stupid long

?!? I see one guy playing it and john quincy adams and animal watching him play

edit:
john quincy adams asleep and animal checking out all of the other people at the venue

#97 1 year ago

Excellent!! It has a color LCD screen!!

#98 1 year ago

It is long. I decided to come back later and play it.

20180316_171851 (resized).jpg

20180316_172011 (resized).jpg

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Excellent!! It has a color LCD screen!!

Nice! Is it running the original monochrome dots? Or have they colorized them already?

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe they can talk to Stan Fukuoka about it, it's a little hard to believe the grey was anything other than a placeholder (especially since the gangsters' suits are just a different shade of grey, though maybe those were meant to be colored differently as well). Consulting Stan on those color decisions would allow them to keep an "authenticity" to the remake while substantially improving the look of the cab sides.

I love the grey. To me, it looks like a page out of a graphic novel and the color fits the feel of the mobster scene.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,450.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
There are 497 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside