pasted_imageKP20 (resized).png
DBC21B7F-7A3F-434F-8692-53A245D0791B (resized).jpeg
3CCE1E5D-6D0C-40AC-A41E-134BAA3FCB23.gif
EB3AAF44-9D54-49D7-97E2-D3A5477D373A (resized).jpeg
1D778A70-1C9F-40DC-820A-8074DFD5A9D8 (resized).jpeg
4C95C47D-52CF-43EC-AC40-2829CC946380 (resized).jpeg
A1C57DA9-7DD5-4997-9688-67D584209F6F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 25.
#451 5 years ago

Here's your update from just two weeks ago -

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/400129332

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

So I take it the translites are not being shipped in chronological order? Mine arrived today and it was #217.
It was good to hold it in my hands and realize this hasn't been a dream all this time.

Almost all were shipped in chronological order. We had set aside 8 of them for someone in Australia that fell through, so that's where your #217 came form when we released them back into the general availability.

In the end it probably won't matter much as they will likely be built quickly so #217 and #230 will probably ship around the same time.

Paul

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

...they will likely be built quickly

I'm trying to make that grunting sound that Tim the Tool Man Taylor made when he liked something.

#454 5 years ago

pkiefert have you'll decided if Capcom or Williams flipper assemblies/coils will be used in Kingpin? I was curious as whether new Capcom flipper parts will hit part suppliers.

#455 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

pkiefert have you'll decided if Capcom or Williams flipper assemblies/coils will be used in Kingpin? I was curious as whether new Capcom flipper parts will hit part suppliers.

Not yet.

We are building three games right now (for our core software team to use) with Williams style parts to compare next to our Capcom version (the first game we built) to determine what if any negative consequences a decision to go with Williams style parts would cause to gameplay.

We are trying to determine specifically if the extra cost associated with remanufacturing Capcom style flippers, slingshots, and pops are worth the additional costs to the BOM.

#456 5 years ago

I haven’t gotten and email or anything. Did I miss submitting some info? I paid for a translite last year at the Atlanta show.

#457 5 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

We are trying to determine specifically if the extra cost associated with remanufacturing Capcom style flippers, slingshots, and pops are worth the additional costs to the BOM.

If you go the route of Capcom parts, I hope you make them available at PPS, Marco, Pinball Life for the previously released production PM, Breakshot, BBB and Airborne games.

#458 5 years ago

The Capcom flippers felt GREAT in the Kingpin at TPF but I don't know if it was because they were Capcom. The responsiveness may have had more to do with the PROC system. On a side note, I owned a Capcom game a while back and the flipper coils hummed a lot. Not sure if that's typical.

#459 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I owned a Capcom game a while back and the flipper coils hummed a lot. Not sure if that's typical.

It is.

LTG : )

1 week later
#460 5 years ago

Anyone get to see it at MGC?

#461 5 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Anyone get to see it at MGC?

Yeah, we saw it

— Jimmy

#463 5 years ago

Yep. Saw it and played it!

#464 5 years ago

The Capcom flippers felt GREAT in the Kingpin at TPF but I don't know if it was because they were Capcom. The responsiveness may have had more to do with the PROC system. On a side note, I owned a Capcom game a while back and the flipper coils hummed a lot. Not sure if that's typical.

Much as I would like some new flipper bits for Capcoms, I found that they perform just as well with crappy Stern mechs. Seems its the Capcom system running them rather than the mechanisms that give them that Capcom feel.

#465 5 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

Much as I would like some new flipper bits for Capcoms, I found that they perform just as well with crappy Stern mechs. Seems its the Capcom system running them rather than the mechanisms that give them that Capcom feel.

And what coils did you use?

#466 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

And what coils did you use?

Stern.

#467 5 years ago

#468 5 years ago

Thanks for posting the video. A little bit of new information. Enjoyed listening to Stan speak about his time at Capcom. Hoping they will share some more detailed information soon in regard to their progress and when production will start.

#469 5 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

Great to hear Nick. If performance is no different, then wouldn't bother me not having Capcom flipper parts. Would mean production would be quicker and production costs less.

#470 5 years ago

I just ordered a translight, I guess a few still left.
Darn, it was like when I go to Costco to buy one item and return with a full trunk. Ended up buying posters, T shirts....

#471 5 years ago

Thanks for posting this video. The presentation was very informative. I ordered a translite.

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

I believe the official count is 15 left after you and ZNET bought theirs.

Thank you both for your purchases. They are greatly appreciated!

Paul

#473 4 years ago

I assume nothing has been shown of the 2.0 modes and display yet?

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Darn, it was like when I go to Costco to buy one item and return with a full trunk. Ended up buying posters, T shirts....

Got mine 220.
Man, the Pinbo T shirt is fun and nice quality cotton (going to order a couple more as gifts), and the posters are great quality. Ty my friends!

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Got mine 220.
Man, the Pinbo T shirt is fun and nice quality cotton (going to order a couple more as gifts), and the posters are great quality. Ty my friends!

Indeed, very high quality translite (#221 here).

#476 4 years ago

Can somebody, please, post the link for purchasing the translite? I'd really appreciate it

#477 4 years ago

Agreed the translite is fantastic but I mostly bought it to get in line for the Kingpin machine. (#34 here)
And it will go well with my other Fukuoka artwork.

zzzz20190427_054026 (resized).jpgzzzz20190427_054026 (resized).jpg
#478 4 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Can somebody, please, post the link for purchasing the translite? I'd really appreciate it

https://store.circusmaximusgames.com/collections/kingpin/products/kingpin-signed-limited-edition-translite

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

I believe the official count is 15 left

Speaking of translites, are you guys going to sell lighted frames? Sign me up.

#480 4 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

I'm particular about the shirts we sell because I'm a bigger guy, and when there is a big design like Pinbo that is printed using the cheaper plastisol ink, I sweat like hell where the design is because it doesn't breathe. Plus it usually cracks and looks like crap after you wear it for a while.

So we use Waterbased or Discharge ink instead depending on the shirt. Discharge is cool as it actually replaces the color of the shirt with the new color, so the design basically becomes part of the shirt and should never crack. Waterbased is basically the same and used on lighter colored shirts as it doesn't replace the color.

I guess I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to screen printing shirts now. Not a lot of people do the discharge/waterbased as it's a little more delicate product, but it results in a nicer shirt in my opinion, which is why we do it.

Paul

#481 4 years ago

Speaking of translites, are you guys going to sell lighted frames? Sign me up.

We are looking at doing these. Really depends on if we can find a vendor to take on most of the frame production as we need to stay focused on Kingpin.

Paul

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

I'm particular about the shirts we sell because I'm a bigger guy, and when there is a big design like Pinbo that is printed using the cheaper plastisol ink, I sweat like hell where the design is because it doesn't breathe. Plus it usually cracks and looks like crap after you wear it for a while.
So we use Waterbased or Discharge ink instead depending on the shirt. Discharge is cool as it actually replaces the color of the shirt with the new color, so the design basically becomes part of the shirt and should never crack. Waterbased is basically the same and used on lighter colored shirts as it doesn't replace the color.
I guess I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to screen printing shirts now. Not a lot of people do the discharge/waterbased as it's a little more delicate product, but it results in a nicer shirt in my opinion, which is why we do it.
Paul

My friend, I thought I was OCD. You are CDO (it has to be in alphabetical order!). Lol! If you remake the other T Shirts btw, lmk, they were out on the site.

#483 4 years ago

Thank you very much. I was able to secure one this morning!!!

Quoted from Mr68:

Agreed the translite is fantastic but I mostly bought it to get in line for the Kingpin machine. (#34 here)
And it will go well with my other Fukuoka artwork.[quoted image]

Absolutely... can't wait to have these two hanging next to one another

2 weeks later
#484 4 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Hey there!
I'm one of the programmers on the game. I was brought in after TPF this year when the playfield artwork and layout were finalized. What you're seeing is about two weeks worth of code on the game and there's a lot more for us to do. We're averaging about 2-3 modes per week with the regular slew of bug fixes and things that arise. With that said, you'll see a lot more work go into the display in terms of thematic integration and dynamic content. I'm of the kind that believes that the display is there to augment the playing experience and offer a bit more immersiveness, but it's secondary. With that being said, you probably won't see a video mode in this one.
Here's basically the design flow we work with on a game (Very similar to how we've done work on TNA, ACNC, Pinball Circus and Kingpin):
1. We have a rule sheet with some loose ideas that come from the game designer (some are more thoroughly fleshed out than others)
2. We implement the basic shot mechanics, light shows and callouts that belong to that rulesheet.
3. We evaluate what works, what doesn't (and what absolutely sucks) and we rework as needed.
4. Once things look good, we get artists, animators and sound designers involved to put the icing on top.
5. Outside of this, the software team has a lot of input into game rules on most of these projects as well.
Good catch on the pops. After we bumped up the flipper strength a bit, the ball is really flying and the pops are a quick way for a drain out the outlane. We're thinking of adding in a super pops award to make things a bit more risky.
The scoop is definitely a risky shot because of all of the rubber that surrounds it. I have the scoop power set pretty high, and the return shot DOES catch the tip of the left flipper. (We also spot you a ball save because we're nice, or something...)
More to come!
-- Jimmy

pkiefert Compy
Is there any more updates on Kingpin? Read that Jimmy is now working on Cosmic Carnival. Hope to hear more about Kingpin soon. Thx.

#485 4 years ago

Nothing on this game in months

#486 4 years ago

Good morning all,

I am still a happy member of the Circus Maximus Team. I just got parts in yesterday for some of the new features on the game and we'll be working away on those for SFGE. Only one out of three of us has a game, so I tend to do work in large sprints, test them on the game remotely, do bugfixes as they arise, etc. The new code is pretty much pkiefert 's territory, and while he's working on the thematic aspects of it, I'm busy working on their production compute system, which requires me to port what is currently x86 code to ARM assembly (including some of the M68000 stuff), so yay! I actually hope to do a short video on how some of that works. You uber geeks might enjoy it (all two of you!).

Regarding my other contracts, indeed I do run a company that consults/contracts with various amusement and pinball companies as a third party design and engineering house (well, I'm a company of one, and I'll probably fire myself by the end of the month). These contracts ebb and flow, and many of them are only for a few months, generally to solve specific design challenges, reengineering or whatnot, so it's important to keep the pipeline full.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer!

-- Jimmy

#487 4 years ago

Is their a timeline of when KP is going in production and when its actually going come out? Confidence level?

#488 4 years ago

Compy is a permanent fixture with the Circus Maximus team. We always describe him as the third ring to this three ring circus.

We just brought back a batch of parts for a small sample run to finalize all the production parts, etc. Cabinets for this sample run were not quite ready when we were in Chicago last week, so they should arrive in a couple weeks.

Right now the focus is getting everything setup for the production run as far as finalizing which standard parts vs what will be custom parts, testing the custom parts that have been prototyped and built in a small quantity, etc.

Stan (the original artist) has been working with us on a couple small tweaks/corrections in the artwork (mostly on the cabinet and brightening up the translight as the original was not supposed to be as dark), etc. Did you know that the original artwork for the cabinet had a different person on it than the ones that were actually made? That person didn't want to be on it, so he was replaced with someone different.

We have a trip out to LA planned in the next couple weeks to finalize some playfield details.

We should be showing off some new features at SFGE as Jimmy/Compy mentioned. And we intend to have multiple Kingpins at Pinball Expo this year.

I still firmly believe that there will be new Kingpin owners later this year. The real question will be how many.

Paul

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Good morning all,
I am still a happy member of the Circus Maximus Team. I just got parts in yesterday for some of the new features on the game and we'll be working away on those for SFGE. Only one out of three of us has a game, so I tend to do work in large sprints, test them on the game remotely, do bugfixes as they arise, etc. The new code is pretty much pkiefert 's territory, and while he's working on the thematic aspects of it, I'm busy working on their production compute system, which requires me to port what is currently x86 code to ARM assembly (including some of the M68000 stuff), so yay! I actually hope to do a short video on how some of that works. You uber geeks might enjoy it (all two of you!).
Regarding my other contracts, indeed I do run a company that consults/contracts with various amusement and pinball companies as a third party design and engineering house (well, I'm a company of one, and I'll probably fire myself by the end of the month). These contracts ebb and flow, and many of them are only for a few months, generally to solve specific design challenges, reengineering or whatnot, so it's important to keep the pipeline full.
Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer!
-- Jimmy

So I assume you'll be using a solution similar to CGC or an RPi/alike, rather than the Intel solution that Spooky and AP have been using?

Any word at all on the 2.0 plans?

#490 4 years ago

Good news! I know you have been busy with King Pin, but any developments with the Pinball Circus pinball ? Thanks.

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

So I assume you'll be using a solution similar to CGC or an RPi/alike, rather than the Intel solution that Spooky and AP have been using?

That is the plan thus far. I've designed solutions on both Intel and ARM (I am responsible for the one that Spooky is using). We're making upgrades to support more gameplay features (well, the video) and to make things easier in the aftermarket parts area and supply chain management side of things!

#492 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Good news! I know you have been busy with King Pin, but any developments with the Pinball Circus pinball ? Thanks.

Since Python's Pinball Circus requires a much larger amount of re-design, Kingpin is being done first to give us the resources to finish Python's Pinball Circus.

Once Kingpin hits the assembly line, it's back to fulfilling our promise to Python.

The whitewood we built of PPC was mainly done to give us a machine to compare any updates/changes so we can make sure they improve the game. For instance, the snake between the flippers really didn't work as intended now that we tested that out on the whitewood vs the original. The snake was an important part for Python, so the snake will likely be repurposed elsewhere in the game. Most likely as a kickback in an outlane or something.

Items such as adding a real plunger and skill shot, and a few other items to make it play more like a pinball and less like a redemption are all in the roadmap. So far most of the planned physical changes are in the bottom half of the main playfield.

Paul

#493 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Any word at all on the 2.0 plans?

Since many of the parts require a 12 week lead-time in quantity, we've prioritized getting the production details finalized before the main focus switches to the 2.0 side. It's still a main feature for us, but as a small team, the hardware engineering and production plan needs the current focus. As production get's nearer, my time will start to shift more towards the 2.0 side and less towards the hardware/production side.

Paul

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

Since Python's Pinball Circus requires a much larger amount of re-design, Kingpin is being done first to give us the resources to finish Python's Pinball Circus.
Once Kingpin hits the assembly line, it's back to fulfilling our promise to Python.
The whitewood we built of PPC was mainly done to give us a machine to compare any updates/changes so we can make sure they improve the game. For instance, the snake between the flippers really didn't work as intended now that we tested that out on the whitewood vs the original. The snake was an important part for Python, so the snake will likely be repurposed elsewhere in the game. Most likely as a kickback in an outlane or something.
Items such as adding a real plunger and skill shot, and a few other items to make it play more like a pinball and less like a redemption are all in the roadmap. So far most of the planned physical changes are in the bottom half of the main playfield.
Paul

Thanks

#495 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

This is where we rely very heavily on Jimmy. Kingpin will run on his Pinix Operating System. And he and the other manufacturers that use it have a lot of experience with it and the supply chain side of sourcing single board systems.

So the CMG team has the luxury of building on top of that experience.

Right now getting some of the intel based boards in quantity is a struggle.

Paul

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

For instance, the snake between the flippers really didn't work as intended now that we tested that out on the whitewood vs the original. The snake was an important part for Python, so the snake will likely be repurposed elsewhere in the game. Most likely as a kickback in an outlane or something.

PERFECT! What a brilliant solution to the games only flaw from a playing perspective. Well done, Team Maximus.

#497 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

PERFECT! What a brilliant solution to the games only flaw from a playing perspective. Well done, Team Maximus.

Python told us that he trusted us to get the game finished and built and knew we'd make the right decisions for the game. While there were plenty of crazy moments in our time with Python, most of which I'll never forget, this one stands out as one of the best, if not the best.

And while we are doing this game as a tribute to Python, if an idea of his doesn't work well enough, we will make changes. Pinball Circus will be "The Greatest Pinball Show on Earth" as Python wanted it when we are done.

#498 4 years ago

Thanks for the updates! I am excited to see both of these games completed!

#499 4 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Hey Paul, thanks for coming to our seminar!
Correct. This is currently being worked out. Nothing set in stone yet, depends on peoples' availability to get the dots colored and coming to an agreement.

If you get stuck, Ive been known to color dots too.

3 weeks later
#500 4 years ago

Any progress pics of anything?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,237 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-kingpin-is-being-builtinfo-here/page/10?hl=rattmuscle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.