Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinmag-u16.jpg
image.jpg
capcom-ram2.jpg
capcom-ram-787.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi
Im trying to help fix a Pinball magic and the diagnosis light is showing a RAM issue (u25)

The manual only says its a: DRAM 256K X 16 100NS

I've attached a pic of the chip which reads:

TI JAPAN -70
Z45160 DZ H
GAG 515 176YY

I couldnt find a datasheet or any stock anywhere online. Does anyone have any? Anyone used an alternative?

Thanks in advance!

capcom-ram-787.jpgcapcom-ram-787.jpg capcom-ram2.jpgcapcom-ram2.jpg
#2 10 years ago

It's a battery backed RAM, not sure they're available any longer. Not a good idea to use a battery based IC though, use the 6116/6264 specific version of anyPin NVRAM Battery Eliminator as a battery-less replacement...

www.LockWhenLit.com/anyPin.htm

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#3 10 years ago

Not battery backed up SRAM type memory based on the "RAS" and "CAS" signals.

Don't know where to find them but it an Enhanced Page Mode, 256K x 16 DRAM made by Texas Instruments -- long obsolete. Their full part number TMS45160DZ-70, can still find the data sheet on the TI website at www.ti.com

"DZ" is an SOJ package -- kind of a bugger to remove from the board.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Not a good idea to use a battery based IC though, use the 6116/6264 specific version of anyPin NVRAM Battery Eliminator as a battery-less replacement...

Listen to whatever Rob Anthony tells you. He hooked me up with NVRAM in my Pinball Magic last year and it's been flawless ever since (actually it was at PATZ exactly one year ago).
Real nice guy to work with too.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Not battery backed up SRAM type memory based on the "RAS" and "CAS" signals.
Don't know where to find them but it an Enhanced Page Mode, 256K x 16 DRAM made by Texas Instruments -- long obsolete. Their full part number TMS45160DZ-70, can still find the data sheet on the TI website at http://www.ti.com
"DZ" is an SOJ package -- kind of a bugger to remove from the board.

When I say "battery backed", I'm being very literal. There's a battery mounted on the back of the RAM.

Of course to most everyone, it just looks like a regular IC.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#6 10 years ago

OK -- but this particular U25 shown in the photo is an SOJ package 4Mbit DRAM.
On that board -- U14 is the battery backed up SRAM.

#7 10 years ago

What's it gonna take?

Quoted from G-P-E:

OK -- but this particular U25 shown in the photo is

If I had a nickle for every time I tried to make sense of my Pinball Magic and didn't I'd have 3 Pinball Magics.

#8 10 years ago

Right, but a U25 error on Capcom games can actually be the SRAM. In fact a U25 error is almost always a battery backed RAM error in my experience.

OP, before taking an iron to the board, the socketed U16 should be reseated and certainly try both of my suggestions before anything is done with U25. It connects directly to the socket and poor connection over time is very common. Your U25 error will likely clear after a reseat or U14 change.

Rob, you at PatZ at all this year? Didn't see you today.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Rob, you at PatZ at all this year? Didn't see you today.

Had to work Thursday...be there tomorrow and Saturday for sure

Quoted from G-P-E:

That's fine... but I just answered the original question

Awesome?

#10 10 years ago

That's fine... but I just answered the original question -- 'what is U25 and where to find' and that he couldn't find a data sheet.

#12 10 years ago

Right. Thanks for the initial tips! I've ordered the nvram replacements and will report back once installed

1 week later
#13 9 years ago

Installed the anypin nvram (nice product!) as a 6264 (game hung as 6116) and still a 1 flash diagnostic. I did push on the ASIC / pic socket and.... Display shows u25 is toast!

I've found 1 old stock but going to have to send the CPU off as I can't do surface mount ...
My other CPU pcb does the same (can't get the display to show the message but diagnostics doing the same flash)

So back to trying to find spares/equivalents

image.jpgimage.jpg
#14 9 years ago

Before you replace that SMT part -- go with what Rob said regarding U16. Those PLCC's in sockets are notorious for bad connections. I used to have a web page dedicated to PLCC's in sockets and how to make them more reliable... but have not had that page up since I last rebuilt my website. Essentially pull the IC, flare out the legs a hair with your fingernails (takes practice, don't bugger the legs!) then reinsert. Amazing how many seemingly unrelated problems this fixes.
Ed

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Amazing how many seemingly unrelated problems this fixes.
Ed

Man aint that the truth!

#16 9 years ago

Thanks G-P-E!
Thats the next step then! Makes sense seeing the text came up when I pushed on u16... Plus also makes sense why someone has attempted to tighten them with a cable tie!!!

Definately the way to go before using this one and only u25!

Will report back...

pinmag-u16.jpgpinmag-u16.jpg
#17 9 years ago

Just noticed that this second CPU has a different RAM made by OKI. For documentation sakes on this thread, the part # is:

OKI Japan
M514260ASL-70J
51322219A9Z

Managed to google some but had to buy 10 so I might have some spares real soon!

#18 9 years ago

Borygard couldn't help you?

???

#19 9 years ago

I really wouldn't be going down the path to replacing U25. I have literally *never* had one actually be bad. Certainly not saying it's not possible, but especially with the new "zip tie" info, U16's connection to the socket will likely be your issue. Someone has obviously dealt with this in the past, and not totally clear from the photo, but the socket looks like it may be cracked.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#20 9 years ago

Ok. WIll definately be working on the socket as suggested first

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,100 (OBO)
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-cpu-u25-ram-equivalent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.