You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2F7F30E6-ADA4-44C7-952A-9AEC7A6E2BA8 (resized).png
415F90E8-CEE6-41A4-B584-AC2DF06DBF99 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 12.15.10 PM (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I have a buddy with a Capcom Breakshot. Has been working fine for years, but has now developed a problem. Problem is that as soon as the machine is powered on the right flipper hums, and not long after that a 4 amp slow-blo fuse blows. Not necessary to start a game to get these symptoms, just power on the machine. Problem happens without touching the right flipper button.

I don't have the game in front of me to look at. I did have him check the points on the right flipper button and those are open unless the flipper button is pushed. Owner can do visual observations for me but doesn't have a multi-meter.

I'd like to gather suggestions of anything he can look at, and what I should check when I go over to help him (with a multi-meter). I'm not up to speed on how the flipper system works on Capcom games.

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 5 years ago

Transistor that drives it would be a good start.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Transistor that drives it would be a good start.

The Breakshot manual on IPDB shows on page 56 shows a diagram of the power driver board. On there I see fuse FH9 which is the one that is blowing. But I don't know how to identify the transistor that drives the right flipper. There are some schematics at the end of the manual (some pages readable, some not so much) but I don't know enough to figure out how the flipper circuit works including what transistors are involved and what part they are. If I knew what the transistors are and where they are on the board, then I could replace the transistor (and pre-transistors if there are some).

Hoping someone can point me to the likely culprit and then I can go help him get his machine back in running order.

#4 5 years ago

Page 141 has coil stuff

Right flipper
S10

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 12.15.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-05-17 at 12.15.10 PM (resized).png

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Page 141 has coil stuff

Right flipper
S10

I see it now, thank you! Still need a little more help.

1) Can someone tell me what component S10 on the Power Driver board is? Is there also a pre-driver for this component?

2) Is there something I can read, or a brief explanation someone can provide as a description of how the flipper circuit works on Capcom Breakshot? How does main flipper power and hold flipper power work? May be different than on the Bally / Williams games I own. Unfortunately, the Flipper Problems section of Pinwiki has no content at this time.

So here is what I see related to the right flipper (solenoid S10) working backwards from page 141 in the PDF copy of the manual from IPDB.

S10 connects to the Power Driver board via J14(6) a GRY/GRN wire (+50V), and also via J22(2) a GRN/RED wire (ground). Page 136 shows the corresponding wiring to/from the Power Driver board.

Page 130 is a wiring diagram of the Power Driver board. J14(6) is labeled as +50V for the right flipper, and it passes thru fuse FH8 and on to Bridge BR1. Bridge BR1 supplies power to numerous items and only the right flipper has been reported as malfunctioning, so we will focus our analysis on the ground side of the solenoid instead. (Hmm, unless the hum from the right flipper isn't really a part of the problem and something else that draws power thru FH8 is causing FH8 to blow, but the flipper coil shouldn't hum when the machine is powered on but no game has been started).

Page 128 is a wiring diagram of the Power Driver board and it shows connector J22. The text on this scan is light, so many things can’t be read clearly. J22(2) appears to flow to S10, but I can’t get a clear read of the writing surrounding S10 (or similar) on the diagram. Is this a MOSFET, and if so what is the part number for it? Is there any pre-driver for this component?

#6 5 years ago

I found it really odd that the manual didn’t say what transistor drove the flippers :/ I don’t have a breakshot yet, or a capcom so beyond the manual I am of no use. However there are a lot of smart people here that can! Also there is a club thread for breakshot you can post this link in and see if you can get help from them as well

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I found it really odd that the manual didn’t say what transistor drove the flippers

They only made pins for one year. Lucky you got any kind of manual.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They only made pins for one year. Lucky you got any kind of manual.

1 year? They did all those pins in a year? not bad...but well ya we are lucky to have at least that manual

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

1 year? They did all those pins in a year? not bad...but well ya we are lucky to have at least that manual

1995 they made a few redemption things. Pinballs were all 1996.

#10 5 years ago

This might help you...If you can’t read it PM me and I will email the page to you.

415F90E8-CEE6-41A4-B584-AC2DF06DBF99 (resized).png415F90E8-CEE6-41A4-B584-AC2DF06DBF99 (resized).png

2F7F30E6-ADA4-44C7-952A-9AEC7A6E2BA8 (resized).png2F7F30E6-ADA4-44C7-952A-9AEC7A6E2BA8 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-breakshot-flipper-hum-and-fuse-blowing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.