3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have a Black Knight that I just started working on recently. There is a big blue capacitor attached to the Bridge Rectifier for the lamps. What are the chances this needs to be replaced? How do I test?

The second and more puzzling question is does the bridge rectifier for the solenoids need a capacitor attached? My game has a silver radial capacitor attached attached to the solenoid/flipper circuit. The capacitor is attached but it is just lying on the bottom of the backbox, sort of like it was installed as an afterthouht.
    Definitely doesn't look "factory". I have never heard of this before. Why would someone install this capacitor? Should I leave it or should I remove it? How do I know if it is good? Will there be a value or part number printed on it?

The MPU and driver are out of the game right now. It did work but there were a few issues. There was a problem on the Driver board that controlled the magnasave. I also wanted the battery pack removed from the MPU and NVRAM installed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kramertheman

#2 3 years ago

A cap attached across the DC terminals of the solenoid bridge rectifier will give the solenoids more power. There's one on the power supply, but it's just 100uF, which doesn't have much affect on the power. What value is the capacitor that's connected to yours? It should say on it somewhere. If it's higher value, it could be there to make the game play faster, or if it's just ~100uF maybe they didn't feel like doing board work...

#3 3 years ago

You need this board to replace that giant capacitor, the two bridge rectifiers, and add fuses that the factory left out:

http://home.kpn.nl/inkochnito/bridge_board.htm

Once installed the backbox will be cleaner and you won't have to worry about your house burning down from a shorted rectifier.

#4 3 years ago

The cap across the dc terminals of the solenoid bridge rectifier is labeled 5000 mfd 50 vdc axial mallory

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kramertheman:

The cap across the dc terminals of the solenoid bridge rectifier is labeled 5000 mfd 50 vdc axial mallory

that's a big one... basically high tapping all the coils. Not factory

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kramertheman:

There is a big blue capacitor attached to the Bridge Rectifier for the lamps. What are the chances this needs to be replaced?

If the lamps light bright as they should without pulsing it's fine. That cap almost never needs to be replaced.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capacitors-connected-to-bridge-rectifiers-in-black-knight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.