7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180131_130300 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I rebuilt the flippers on my T2 yesterday.
The kit I purchased had a couple yellow capacitors included.

The game didn't have the capacitors on when I removed the old flippers.

After installing, everything (minus the coils) seemed great.
I didn't put on the capacitors, because it didn't originally have them on.

I played a few games and the fuse on the left flipper blew out.

I replaced the fuse, but wondering if it blew because of the lack of capacitors.

thanks

#2 7 years ago

Do your new coils have diodes on their lugs I'll take your word for now (for science) that it literally came with capacitors and not diodes - so this is a separate thing, but make sure your coils have diodes pre-installed across the lugs. I think if they didn't it may just do it immediately though, so that MAY be ruled out. If you replace the fuse and play a few more games, will it blow again? The thing with fuses is that sometimes they're a little old and you may find their tolerance to be a bit wacky - meaning sometimes if you blow a fuse and replace it it won't blow again. And if it does, it's very cheap to just throw another in assuming you have a few on hand or near you in a store...

#3 7 years ago

Somebody else may be better off chiming in on the capacitors, I'm honestly not quite sure on that. All I can recall about capacitors under the playfield in solid-state machines is that they were used on old Ballys to make the playfield switches more responsive - I don't think I've ever seen them used on flipper coils. Makes me wonder if it's for the end-of-stroke switches? I don't think it would be for the coils themselves, that would be strange.

(QUICK EDIT: I was also thinking cabinet switches as a possibility, but I just read ForceFlow's first response, there ya go! )

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from nzman:

I replaced the fuse, but wondering if it blew because of the lack of capacitors.

The capacitors help prevent sparking on the EOS switches. This helps keep the EOS switches clean. WPC flippers were designed to include the capacitors.

The reason why they are probably missing is that after long term use, the leads on the caps tend to break off due to vibration and movement over time. So, if someone didn't have replacements on hand, they may have just bypassed them.

#5 7 years ago

Yes, the coils do have diodes across the lugs.
I didn't replace the coils.
(didn't realize they didn't come with the kit until I had one of the flippers taken apart).

I was pretty sure that they were mainly for the EOS switches, but wasn't sure.

I'll test it out this weekend and see if it pops that fuse again.

thanks!

#6 7 years ago

Missing caps did not blow your fuse. More likely is a problem with the EOS not opening properly or flipper wiring shorting out.

#7 7 years ago

Always better to have the caps on the eos for any DC game that doesn't have computer controlled flippers.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

WPC flippers were designed to include the capacitors.

Not quite technically correct. WPC spans both pre-fliptronic and fliptronic flipper designs. The caps were included on the pre-fliptronic WPC games from FH to PZ. In 1992 on HS2, when they switched over to the fliptronics design, they eliminated the capacitors.

10 months later
#9 6 years ago

Hey just bought a T2 and it was missing the yellow caps on the flippers. I was just wondering if these will work for the time being provided I clip the leads and replace them with shielded wire from the cap to the switch. The values are the same but the casing is Mylar not metalized polyester

20180131_130300 (resized).jpg20180131_130300 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 21.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
$ 27.95
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capacitor-with-flipper-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.