(Topic ID: 118270)

Capacitor Replacing - Wait till they leak? or beat them to the punch?

By JohnnyPhantom

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by viperrwk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Replacing caps that haven't failed yet?”

• Replace them, better safe than sorry. 7 votes
      70%
    • Leave them alone, I'd it ain't broke don't fix it 3 votes
      30%

(10 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7002.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

I replace them if they are original or if the game it hitting the 10 year mark or more when I shop it.
    I also like doing board work and have the equipment to do so.

The parts are inexpensive but if your skills are limited ( or equipment ) that cheap capacitor or bridge rectifier could result in a damaged board if heavy handed.

If working on boards ALWAYS use a temperature controlled soldering iron / station.

#7 9 years ago

Just use decent equipment and don't get in a hurry or heavy handed.
    Never force ( pry ) things off the board. This is usually how traces and plated thru holes get ruined.

A solder sucker and some solder wick ( or copper ground braid ) works well for getting solder out of plated thru holes. Flowing fresh solder in 1st then sucking out works good.

#12 9 years ago

An ESR meter is on my toy list someday....

I re-capped my Samsung DLP TV power supply boards. Bad caps from the factory and bulged and leaking right outside warranty. $25 in caps from Mouser is WAY better than boards.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capacitor-replacing-wait-till-they-leak-or-beat-them-to-the-punch?tu=cal50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.