• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cap top.JPG
Cap ends.JPG

#1 9 years ago

I bought a kit to replace all the capacitors for my Bally AS-2518-22 board.
Do I need to discharge the new capacitors before I install them?
Any other tips I should know about?

Thanks
Tonyj

#2 9 years ago

No, they haven't had current through them so they don't need to be discharged. Unless there are any NP caps, make sure you have the polarity right when you install.

#3 9 years ago

Thank you for the quick reply

#4 9 years ago

Whoops...wrong board. This is for the Solenoid Driver Board
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 9 years ago

I have another question about a capacitor

The + and - cannot be read on the new cap.

one side of the cap looks like it is part of the case the other side has a black type of material where the lead comes out from.
which side is +?

#6 9 years ago

A pic would help Tony. Don't want to tell you the wrong thing and put an eye out!

#7 9 years ago

I just did the same job and "assumed" the black side was positive since the side of the old one that was different than the metal case (brown on it) was the positive. Unfortunately it did not solve my problem, but I believe the sound board is actually where the buzzing cap is. I anxiously await the info from someone who actually KNOWS...

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from tonyj:

I have another question about a capacitor
The + and - cannot be read on the new cap.
one side of the cap looks like it is part of the case the other side has a black type of material where the lead comes out from.
which side is +?

Picture would be safest way for everyone to let you know. Please show both sides. Is one leg longer than the other? Sometime this denotes polarity.

#9 9 years ago

Assuming his is the same as mine:
Cap top.JPGCap top.JPGCap ends.JPGCap ends.JPG

#10 9 years ago

The other end of each is metallic

#11 9 years ago

See the arrow label showing the direction of the negative lead?

See the crimp in the can showing the positive end?

#12 9 years ago

Be careful using stripes, as it's not always universal. Some older caps I've seen id'd the + side with a stripe. Others here have reported the same. Always look for a symbol.

If in doubt, or too hard to read, the crimped end should be + (regardless of stripe, from what I've seen). Think of it like how a battery's + end is "not flat". Or, if you prefer, both batteries and (most?) caps are (-) at the flat / smooth ends.

#13 9 years ago

1. Thought that MIGHT be a minus in the arrow but it really wasn't clear...could as easily be a zero.
2. The crimp in the can was one of the main hints I used in making my choice, but for a person who is really not a trained tech, it really wasn't that clear...that is why I thought it a good question.

Thank you though now...

#14 9 years ago

Thank you for all the help

tonyj

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capacitor-replacement-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.