Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mrjamma
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

My LWJP C27 15000 uF 25v cap is bulging, so I figured I would replace it.

Segas p/n:
125-5036-00

pin witch said it is interchangeable with williams p/n
5040-12313-00

Pinball life sells an upgraded cap as 15000 uF but 35v. I see you can use a higher voltage cap, but is this okay for sega as well (I would think so). Size should be 30x40mm of physical cap.

#2 10 years ago

going up one step on voltage should never be a problem. Just as long as the cap fits as the higher voltage is normally a little bit larger. I do this a lot on electronic power supplies as a lot of time they are marginal at best.

#3 10 years ago

Voltage on capacitors is a maximum rating. You can always use higher rated voltage as long as the capacitance (uf, mfd, etc) is correct, and of course physical dimensions as sandbagger mentioned.

#4 10 years ago

Going higher in voltage is fine but this normally results in a larger capacitor body. Some are larger diameter and some are taller... and a myriad of combinations of both taller and/or fatter.

Three things to watch out for when replacing these caps:
1 -- lead pitch (spacing between leads). Most use 10mm.
2 -- maximum height of capacitor. Some of the higher voltage caps are taller and some games have problems with caps that are 50mm tall such as NBA Fast Break.
3 -- manufacturer matters. Avoid completely Chinese brands such as G-Luxon, Lelon, Capxon, Teapo, etc. Nearly all electrolytics are made in China now - even many Japanese ones. Difference is - the US and Japanese brands actually enforce quality standards (some more than others) - the Chinese brands only care about quantity and profit.

Ed

#5 10 years ago

Some info that I may offer about replacement caps from experience:
Even though going the next higher voltage rating usually results in a larger capacitor, the capacitor technology has gotten better over the years in that a cap from a 15 year old machine is usually larger than its new replacement counterpart. So the fear of using a 35 volt instead of a 25 volt usually wont result in fitment problems as the new one will be smaller than the original. Not true in all cases, check your local regulations, your mileage may vary.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capacitor-replacement-alternative and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.