(Topic ID: 9623)

Capacitor polarity question

By SealClubber

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I got a replacement C26 axial capacitor for my Bally Solenoid Driver Board. Not sure which way it is supposed to go on as there is no marking or arrow for pos or neg.
One side is black and the other silver. The black side has the indented/crimped end on it which is the same as the old one's positive side.
Which side is the positive? The silver side or the crimped side? I thought there was a marking standard for capacitors.

#2 12 years ago

Usually the negative side is marked with a stripe...so probably the silver. Also, most electrolytic caps the positive lead is longer.

#3 12 years ago

I take it this is for your Kiss machine? I assume so, so I'm looking at the schematics for that era of game. On them, positive is towards the right of the solenoid driver board. The board may be marked on the underside with a + if not on the top. And you are right, the crimped side of the cap is positive. If nothing else, there should be a + somewhere on the cap towards that end.

If you install the cap backwards, you'll blow fuse F2 on the rectifier board for the HV section. Not that I'd know that for any particular reason.

#4 12 years ago

Yes, my KISS. The SDB is marked. The cap is not marked in any way. But it seems that the crimped side is supposed to be the positive. Thank you.

#5 12 years ago

Well, if you put it in backwards, you'll find out pretty quickly....

#6 12 years ago

Yeah, did that before which is why I am asking. Would rather save myself the cleanup.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capacitor-polarity-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.