5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181204_083553 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hey Pinside, working on a William's Sorcerer machine and I think I have a main board issue. I've disconnected the columns and rows from the main board and in switch test mode, if I touch the pin for row 4, the system registers very switch in the row activating. The same also happens if you ground one side of the capacitor.

Taking a trip to the hardware store for a new multimeter... But anyways the schematic indicate a 5043-09065-00, 470 pf capacitor, yet what I've been able to find on the web looks nothing like the part.

Thoughts? Doesn't matter so long as the ratings match up? The entire row firing doesn't sound like a capacitor issue?

Any help is welcome Pinside, thanks!

20181204_083553 (resized).jpg20181204_083553 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

What are you touching the pin with? Depending on what you're doing, I could expect all columns to trigger for that row.

Those capacitors are a less common style, now adays you'd probably use a ceramic disc capacitor? Not sure I'd blame the cap for the issue anyways.

To verify if the capacitor is the issue, you can just clip one side of the corresponding one off and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't change, solder it back on. The capacitors are just for noise reduction, it should technically function without them

#3 5 years ago

Well, forgive me but I just touched it with my finger. I noticed in had an issue during play were one switch from a row would trigger every switch in the row. After some diode checking I went and disconnected the columns plug then the rows and happened to brush it as I pulled the plug up. I heard the switch test sound, said what the heck then check the display. Sure enough discovered that is the only pin I can physically touch and have the machine register the row. No other rows have this issue.

#4 5 years ago

Hmm, okay. So definitely some type of board issue with that row then. My first guess would be that the cap for that row has failed open. Would definitely replace it if you can. The long capacitor array (SR16) could also have an issue.

#5 5 years ago

Parts are on the way, fingers crossed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capacitor-and-switch-help-needed?hl=calibrunknight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.