11%
  • Don't know/care. 8 votes
    89%

(9 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s6-PWR (resized).jpg
pinballCap (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MattWesterville.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hi,

The easiest and cheapest mod to boost performance is the power supply capacitor. I doubled mine on my Phoenix because the lights would flicker when a solenoid hit. Now the flippers are 45% or so more powerful. Of course you'll have to consider current load increases too. I put a fan in it.

I'll add a poll, how many uF do you think is needed in the average game?

I've seen 11-30,000uFarad in my games stock.

1 week later
#8 1 year ago

I'm depressed not drinking but effect is same. You guys may be right that A it could damage components or B it doesn't affect solenoids.

Can't be both obviously though because solenoids have the massive current rush unlike most other parts.

I did notice a difference still in my motordome, and Phoenix blinked much less. It was so bad with old green cap that sometimes it'd reset if you hit both flippers. So thanks for feedback as I may be wrong.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Do you have more info on what you have done specifically? I have not heard of adjusting caps outside of as close to original spec as possible.
A 45% bump seems huge. def. many things to consider for anything which is going to bump power like that.

I replaced the big green capacitor with 8x 10,000uF smaller electrolytic ones.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Unfortunately, increasing capacitance in the power supply's electrical path will not affect coils in any way.
I would suggest taking a look at your game schematics and follow the electrical path for power to the coils.
Like others have said, increasing the capacitance too much can cause other problems, such as stressing other components to the point of failure.
I would recommend using the proper capacitance rating.

Thank you, I'll stop doing this practice...
I am wrong.

Matt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MattWesterville.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cap-off-your-game?tu=MattWesterville and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.