• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by T-800
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi

I'm having problems with updating my GOT pro from 1.26 to1.29. Never had any problems in the past and successfully done this many times before on several Sterns

Turn the game off, insert the US stick, turn back on, the game comes up with a message to say GOT 1.29 spk so recognises the stick and the code, message - press select to update code or back to exit and when you press select, it then says insert USB memory stick which of course is already inserted and recognised as otherwise it wouldn't show 1.29 code initially. So can't get any further.

I've tried the following:
- different memory stick
- other USB port on Spike pcb
- reformatting memory stick using Panasonic SD formatter
- redownloading software
- reloading 1.26

None of these worked and what's more odd is that 1.26 worked fine before and now can't reload that code. Thankfully I can still play the game with 1.26 code although again oddly all the settings and high scores have been restored even though I wasn't able to upload any new code.

So just wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems and has a solution please.

Many thanks
Greg

#2 3 years ago

I know you mentioned you changed memory sticks, but did you use the same model/size?
Try using a smaller size one. If that still fails, format it on a different PC computer with different software and download the code from that other computer too.

#3 3 years ago

Stern needs to start providing full sd card images as well as spk update files. If you can get someone to use win32disk imager or such and make you an image of their 1.29 sd card then you should be able to image that into your sd card in your computer and insert the card into the sd slot on the board.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks. Will try with a tested memory stick form a friend and hope that solves it.

Cheers
Greg

#5 3 years ago

Make sure it's formatted to FAT32.

If you have a Windows computer, insert the USB, right click on it, and chose FORMAT and make sure it is FAT32.

Drag the file onto the stick (I don't think the last GOT file was zipped) and go for it.

rd

#6 3 years ago

I had a problem updating from 1.26 to 1.29. Started the update but failed at about 30%. But same as you the game came back up and was playable on 1.26 but all settings were lost. This was with a USB stick that I used to update Ghostbusters the day before. I re-downloaded 1.29, tried another freshly formatted USB stick and it worked. Sounds like you've already tried everything I did so I'm afraid I've got nothing. Just figured I'd post my similar experience that somehow magically got resolved.

#7 3 years ago

I had this problem with my ST LE and it ended up being the board. Updated fine one day and nothing the next. Once it was replaced it worked fine.

#8 3 years ago

Huh. Strange. I was able to do it using a 2-year old 16gig flash drive. But I deleted everything on it first and did the right-click reformat to FAT32.

#9 3 years ago

Exact same problem. Formatted to FAT32, moved .spk file. Game off, plugged in, game on. No response at all.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Exact same problem. Formatted to FAT32, moved .spk file. Game off, plugged in, game on. No response at all.

Sounds like you actually do not have the exact same problem. The OP said his game recognized the drive was in and there was a spk file. But it didn't flash it. Your description indicates the flash drive is not even recognized.

#11 3 years ago

I switched to a different USB drive and it worked. Not sure what the difference was.

#12 3 years ago

Mine upgraded fine, but I ensured I formatted it to FAT32 on a brand name USB.

I know pinball machines are made for a commercial environment, however home use or operator use, there is one thing that bugs me.
When you apply the next firmware/code update, why does it have to wipe out / reset all the settings, is it not possible to store things like "number of balls", "high scores", 'feature adj" etc in a different file, if they introduce new high score(s), new features then set them to defaults. But each time I upgrade the firmware, I then have to go through the options to set up the whole thing again from Free Play, number of balls, features, difficulty etc. If I have a really excellent high score it goes out the window - very annoying

#13 3 years ago

High scores should "go out the window" on updates because rule changes also change scoring. Sometimes a whole lot. It's it comparable to show a high score from a different version of the game.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisK:

Mine upgraded fine, but I ensured I formatted it to FAT32 on a brand name USB.
I know pinball machines are made for a commercial environment, however home use or operator use, there is one thing that bugs me.
When you apply the next firmware/code update, why does it have to wipe out / reset all the settings, is it not possible to store things like "number of balls", "high scores", 'feature adj" etc in a different file, if they introduce new high score(s), new features then set them to defaults. But each time I upgrade the firmware, I then have to go through the options to set up the whole thing again from Free Play, number of balls, features, difficulty etc. If I have a really excellent high score it goes out the window - very annoying

I don't know about Spike games but if you use Pinball Browser on the SAM system you can change the settings and high scores of the update before you drop it into the game.

#15 2 years ago

Markmon - Totally understand your view on the scores aspect, but just being able to back up the settings (3 ball, 5 ball, difficulty) would be useful.
I have tended now to set the pre-programmed ones back to as low as possible after the update, so I can start to fill up the highs score boards again.

#16 2 years ago

Stoptap - don't think we get that option, insert memory stick apply update, it wipes all scores and settings, reboots. Then you have to reconfigure the entire game set up again

1 week later
#17 2 years ago

Report the issue to STERN via their website and contact your distributor. I was having this same issue. Different USB memory sticks, different download sources, tried both USB hubs on the board and every one failed at 99% complete. Got a list of known "good" USB devices direct from STERN, bought one and same effect. Worked with STERN and my distributor and got a new board. Board shipped with 1.26 code on the SD card. I used the same stick that failed on my previous board and successfully updated to 1.29 on the first try with the new board. I don't know why the board would really cause it to fail to update at 99% every time, but the new board definitely resolved the issue. Something to look into if you have the option. STERN was really responsive and easy to work with on this - very happy with my customer service experience. For those of you who remember swapping out power driver boards on old William's games, the new main spike board is a piece of cake, literally takes a few seconds to remove and install a new one. Love it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 11.95
$ 26.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Machine - For Sale
St. Marys, PA
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Machine - For Sale
Woodcliff Lake, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside