(Topic ID: 194607)

Can't start a game - Bally Hotdoggin

By schmoo

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Havent had this problem in so long, that I forget how I solved it before. Problem is compounded by the fact that I don't have access to the machine. Recently sold it and new owner can't start a game. Trying to help him out.

Here is what I know:

MPU is a new repro. Connectors have been repinned. Machine goes into attract mode. Switch test is not showing any tilt switches or other switches as being closed. Game has credits. Game worked just before it was shipped. The game start button DOES register in the switch test when pressed.

I havent had him count the mpu flashes yet, but since it goes into attract mode and fires off all the solenoids during the solenoid test, I figure it must be getting all 7 flashes. Power supply is also a refurb and voltages are likely right on.

Now, there is one strange thing which I am asking the new owner to check tonight. It seems that when a ball is in the outhole and the switch test is run, the outhole switch 08 does not register. Now, on the one hand, I know you can start a game without a ball in the outhole, but on the other hand, I am wondering why (according to the new owner) the outhole switch is not registering and if it will somehow be related to the problem.

Any suggestions you have for a solution will be appreciated. Keep in mind, the new owner will likely not be able to do anything too complicated since he is brand new to the hobby.

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Do you know for a fact "can't start a game" means it's not exiting attract mode? If the outhole isn't registering and ball is sitting in there & not kicking out.. that could lead someone to believe it's not starting a game. If there's credits & he's pushing the start switch is it adding additional players to the game or is it still cycling scores in attract mode?

#3 6 years ago

My guess is that one of the slam tilt switches is stuck closed.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Do you know for a fact "can't start a game" means it's not exiting attract mode? If the outhole isn't registering and ball is sitting in there & not kicking out.. that could lead someone to believe it's not starting a game. If there's credits & he's pushing the start switch is it adding additional players to the game or is it still cycling scores in attract mode?

New owner sent me a vid and when he pushes start button, it doesn't exit attract mode even though I can see credits loaded in the game.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

My guess is that one of the slam tilt switches is stuck closed.

I thought that might be a possibility but wouldn't rhat show up on the switch test?

#6 6 years ago

Pages 14-15 in the manual have troubleshooting suggestions. Page 8 of the schematics shows the slam switch wiring, doesn't look like it's part of the matrix so I don't think it would show up in switch test (not 100% sure about that). And finally, the Pinwiki guide is at http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-start-a-game-bally-hotdoggin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.