(Topic ID: 82527)

Can't remember name of a Pin...

By RunninMan01

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-19.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

All I can remember is that the pin had a mad scientist and/or electricity theme to it and was visually very dark. I could have sworn it was called "Tesla" after the scientist, but when I search around all I can find is a virtual pin with that name.

This was 10+ years ago so my memory is limited, but I do remember it had magnets underneath the gamefield that would turn on and make the ball go wonky.

Anyways, I know it's a vague description, but anyone got any ideas?

#4 10 years ago

Try Genesis. How ever Strange Science has the neon topper with the electrical look and magnets.

#5 10 years ago

The clock is not right. How can you post an answer 20 seconds before the first post?

Now the clock is correct. Small glitch.

#6 10 years ago

Magnets under the playfield? The only game I can think of that sort of has that theme with the magnet under the playfield is Dr. Dude.

image-19.jpgimage-19.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Wow, I wasn't expecting any replies tonight. You guys are quick!

I took a look at both of those. It's not either of them....it wasn't a "zany" theme like Strange Science and I've never even see Genesis. I think there was a feature of the machine where the ball would "hover" around the playfield, again due to under-playfield magnets, a feature I've seen in other pins so it's not too special to this one but at least is more info.

This is driving me nuts.

#8 10 years ago

Godzilla has magnets under the pf like gnr
    TAF too

#9 10 years ago

Was it a DMD game?

#10 10 years ago

The Addams family with its electric chair and magnets ? It's dark, it's mad...

#11 10 years ago

Definitely a newer game with DMD, yes. I was playing it back in probably 2003-2004, but my best guess would be that it was a 90's machine, possibly late 80's. For some reason I can't stand the flipper play on machines that aren't Midway or Bally, so my guess is it was made by one of those manufacturers.

Sorry guys, I can't remember much from this machine. This may be a stupid thread to have posted...so many pins out there.

#12 10 years ago

Ha, freaking awesome game, but definitely not Addams Family. It's along those lines for the feel of the game.

I think I'm going to just pull a pin list for Bally and Midway and just read all the names of everything they made. The one thing I remember for sure is that it had a science of scientist-related name to it...I was an computer engineer and I appreciated the name. I thought it might be Telsa, but maybe it was another...

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from RunninMan01:

Ha, freaking awesome game, but definitely not Addams Family. It's along those lines for the feel of the game.
    I think I'm going to just pull a pin list for Bally and Midway and just read all the names of everything they made. The one thing I remember for sure is that it had a science of scientist-related name to it...I was an computer engineer and I appreciated the name. I thought it might be Telsa, but maybe it was another...

Did you look at the Dr. Dude post above? Basically fits a lot of that criteria, Minus the DMD..

If you are positive it has a magnet somewhere, here is a refined search that lists games with magnets- http://ipdb.org/search.pl?ft=magnet&searchtype=advanced

#14 10 years ago

So bizarre...nothing on that list looks right. And yea, I checked Dr. Dude and Genesis and Strange Science. They're all most fun and zany whereas this pin was dark. Sort of mysterious.

Maybe my brain's playing tricks on me here. I'm going to go search around more and see if I can find anything. I'll return here if I figure this out.

#15 10 years ago

pinball magic?

#16 10 years ago

I'm really glad I asked this question because I'm learning about all these new Pins that I've never seen before, but not Pinball Magic. You're on the right track, though...kind of dark and mysterious.

Theatre of Magic was another I had considered, but it's got that huge, obvious magic box that nobody would forget.

#17 10 years ago

Hmm junkyard? Has a scientist guy on it and pretty odd

#18 10 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire? Or maybe Monster Bash?

Joe(acejedi)

#19 10 years ago

Do you remember any more information besides:
    10+ years
    Electricity/mad scientist themed with magnets?

My money's on cirqus voltaire with AceJedi. It has everything you've talked about and is kind of lightning themed.

#20 10 years ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula is very dark and magnets move the ball around with the mist multiball. Not electricity themed though.

#21 10 years ago

I was thinking junkyard, too jrivelli!
    http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4014&picno=3054
    definitely has the magnet but more design/drafting than scientist, but whatever. op?

#22 10 years ago

Sorry guys, not CV, MB, Dracula, or JY. Dracula and MB, sort of CV (not sure what Jedi is) are closest as far as the dark theme.

I say magnets under the playfield because I can remember shooting for a ramp and having the ball clearly displaced from its line. Same as the ball was rolling down the playfield...it would get thrown off its line by a magnet turning on, making for a lot of volatility in gameplay.

I remember the playfiekd being very dark, possibly black.

I sort of remember a moving disc on the playfield as well...but that could be my memory playing tricks on me with another pin.

All I remember for certain was the name was scientific. Like Joule or Ferme or Tesla...a name/term you probably wouldn't know was scientific. Like Heisenberg.

#23 10 years ago

uhm i think this pinball machine is called "that crazy dream i had one time"

#24 10 years ago

Whirlwind, JM, TZ

#25 10 years ago

I own a TZ, so it's not that one .

Pez, you might be right. I'm thinking maybe I'm mis-remembering some aspects of this machine. Consider this thread closed...I'm still going to search, but I don't want to waste anyone's time on a wild goose chase.

#26 10 years ago

X files maybe
    Twister also.....

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from RunninMan01:

I own a TZ, so it's not that one .
    Pez, you might be right. I'm thinking maybe I'm mis-remembering some aspects of this machine. Consider this thread closed...I'm still going to search, but I don't want to waste anyone's time on a wild goose chase.

Guessing this pin is way more fun than reading jjp drama. Leave it be and lets figure it out!

#28 10 years ago

Is it possible you mean centaur?

#29 10 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic?

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from RunninMan01:

All I can remember is that the pin had a mad scientist and/or electricity theme to it

AC/DC?

#31 10 years ago

On the off chance it's not AC/DC, Frankenstein has the scientist/electricity/dark playfield going for it.

#32 10 years ago

Not centaur, I know that one well.

Definitely not mnemonic...that hand would not be something I'd forget.

AC/DC was the first cassette tape I ever bought as a kid, so I'd definitely remember that pin. Never played it, though

Thinking more about this, perhaps my immature 20-something self saw the "Voltaire" in CV and got thinking volts, like electrical volts. That's the closest thing I can put together here...but I played CV on the PS4 pinball emulator and it didn't seem right. Then again, it's nearly everything I remembered, minus the magnet that makes the ball fly around all crazy on the playfield (unless I just haven't enabled it yet while playing)

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from RunninMan01:

Not centaur, I know that one well.
    Definitely not mnemonic...that hand would not be something I'd forget.
    AC/DC was the first cassette tape I ever bought as a kid, so I'd definitely remember that pin. Never played it, though
    Thinking more about this, perhaps my immature 20-something self saw the "Voltaire" in CV and got thinking volts, like electrical volts. That's the closest thing I can put together here...but I played CV on the PS4 pinball emulator and it didn't seem right. Then again, it's nearly everything I remembered, minus the magnet that makes the ball fly around all crazy on the playfield (unless I just haven't enabled it yet while playing)

Magnet is on the ringmasters head.

#34 10 years ago

Ok, we are all missing something here.... RunninMan is from the state of Washington...
    What rhymes with need and is flammable...

lol sorry couldn't resist.

you were playing CV brother

#35 10 years ago

ok, im dying to know what game this is.

#36 10 years ago

I think CV. 3 magnets. Ringmaster head, juggler and the top of the ramp that holds and releases to the high wire ramp.

#37 10 years ago

Magnets, huh? Guns N' Roses?

#38 10 years ago

Very much a possibility that the green stuff had something to do with my lack of details here...Well, you guys have convinced me here: it must have been CV. This has been driving me nuts for the past decade. Thanks very much for getting me to an answer!

Note to Jersey Jack or Stern - there appears to be interest in a pin that's dark, a bit macabre, and has lots of magnets and/or electromagnetism references

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from RunninMan01:

Very much a possibility that the green stuff had something to do with my lack of details here...Well, you guys have convinced me here: it must have been CV. This has been driving me nuts for the past decade. Thanks very much for getting me to an answer!
    Note to Jersey Jack or Stern - there appears to be interest in a pin that's dark, a bit macabre, and has lots of magnets and/or electromagnetism references

Science Fiction is and has been one of the more popular themes for pinball machines.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

uhm i think this pinball machine is called "that crazy dream i had one time"

"It's just like that time I was on drugs in that dream I had ... while I was on drugs." Phillip J.Fry

#41 10 years ago

all this for ... CV !?
    well, that was hard while starting with clues from the 1st post...

#42 10 years ago

CV also has the trapped ball on the left which spins and makes the ball change directions which might be what you were remembering.

#43 10 years ago

Well finally we got to the bottom of it
    Or have we

#44 10 years ago

Yea, I guess it must have been CV. Still not positive after playing CV on pinball arcade, but maybe that's the reefer blurring my memory again

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-remember-name-of-a-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.