Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dutts
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

OK so I just bought a Tommy with some ratty legs so I bought some new legs, bolts, levelers etc. from Pinball Life. I put the new legs on with the front levelers as low as they can go and the back ones pretty much maxed out (figuring I'd just start it steep and bring it down if needed). Well the game registers 5.6 degrees at the flippers with the Pinguy app with the levelers jacked all the way. Am I missing something here? The manual says 28.5" legs (which I got), is it possible it needs 30.5" legs in the back? the manual doesn't say the legs are different lengths. The old legs are all 28.5".

#2 7 years ago

I'd question if you are measuring it right ? Problem with the app ?

Length of leg shouldn't matter if both are the same length. Front all the way in and back all the way out should provide more than 5.6

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

I'll try recalibrating it but I tested it on my other games and they're all 6.5 - 7.0 degrees. The gameplay seems much slower on Tommy as well.

#4 7 years ago

Same thing with tales from the crypt. A few people (myself included) have put 1 inch pieces of wood under the back legs.

#5 7 years ago

What length leg levelers did you receive? There are 2" and 3" ones available.

I've occasionally maxed out the back levelers and removed the front ones entirely (if leveling permits) to achieve a greater angle.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Same thing with tales from the crypt. A few people (myself included) have put 1 inch pieces of wood under the back legs.

OK so I'm not crazy. Thanks for the tip.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Always have this problem on Data East Games - I used to put things under my back legs...

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

What length leg levelers did you receive? There are 2" and 3" ones available.
I've occasionally maxed out the back levelers and removed the front ones entirely (if leveling permits) to achieve a greater angle.

They're 3 inchers.

#9 7 years ago

I'm just wondering how these games were set up at 6.5 degrees out of the box like the manual suggests.

#10 7 years ago

My Data East games came with 28 1/2" legs in the front and 30 1/2" legs for the rear.

#11 7 years ago

So you've got a 3-incher and you're having trouble getting it up. Got it. Any worn-out holes?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

So you've got a 3-incher and you're having trouble getting it up. Got it. Any worn-out holes?

I knew once I hit post somebody was gonna take that low hanging fruit.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from msjussaume:

My Data East games came with 28 1/2" legs in the front and 30 1/2" legs for the rear.

OK thank you. It would be nice if they mentioned that in the manual. I guess I'll order a couple new legs for the back. I'm gonna call Data East tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind.

#14 7 years ago

A lot obviously depends on the level of the floor. My pinball room slopes to the back (old house with timber floors), so I always have difficulty achieving angles over 6.5.

On the front levelers, make sure you remove the tightening nut, that way you can screw them all the way down.

Because I have timber floors, I need use floor protectors also. So on the back legs I use higher floor protectors and on the front legs I just direct glue felt to the leveler.

#15 7 years ago

I'm fairly certain that due to the DE cabinet/playfield design there are supposed to be 2" longer legs on the back (plus use 3" levelers). This is pure geometry, folks. If you're adding wood blocks on a flat floor and already have 3" levelers, your back legs aren't long enough.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

I'm fairly certain that due to the DE cabinet/playfield design there are supposed to be 2" longer legs on the back (plus use 3" levelers). This is pure geometry, folks. If you're adding wood blocks on a flat floor and already have 3" levelers, your back legs aren't long enough.

That's what I'm going to do, but I just think it's odd that there are all these Data East machines with four 28.5" legs on them. I went through the manual with a fine toothed comb and there's nothing about two different sizes of legs on the machine. Even the parts list has the part number of the legs then 4X next to it.

#17 7 years ago

My DESW came with 4 28.5 legs and I have the same problem. Temp solved with longer feet bolts and casters, but still mystified -- highly unlikely anyone swapped these powder coated legs at any point.

#18 7 years ago

The legs for Data East are the same "size" as Bally/Williams. The legs sold by Pinball Life listed for Data East/Sega are really for Sega games that are different in size and intended for use on Sega games designed so no adjust is needed to get the 6.5 slope when installed. I made this mistake when ordering the Data East/Sega legs for one of my Data East games luckly I had a Sega game to put them on.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

The legs for Data East are the same "size" as Bally/Williams. The legs sold by Pinball Life listed for Data East/Sega are really for Sega games that are different in size and intended for use on Sega games designed so no adjust is needed to get the 6.5 slope when installed. I made this mistake when ordering the Data East/Sega legs for one of my Data East games luckly I had a Sega game to put them on.

I bought the Williams legs (28.5") and they're not giving me enough angle. The only other option (at Pinball life anyways) are the Stern legs which are 30" but they're the matte black ones like the modern Sterns ship with. Guess I'll have mismatched legs.

1 week later
#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

OK so I just bought a Tommy with some ratty legs so I bought some new legs, bolts, levelers etc. from Pinball Life. I put the new legs on with the front levelers as low as they can go and the back ones pretty much maxed out (figuring I'd just start it steep and bring it down if needed). Well the game registers 5.6 degrees at the flippers with the Pinguy app with the levelers jacked all the way. Am I missing something here? The manual says 28.5" legs (which I got), is it possible it needs 30.5" legs in the back? the manual doesn't say the legs are different lengths. The old legs are all 28.5".

I put my Tommy blacklegs on a half inch thick piece of wood. Plays great up high, much better when fast.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-get-tommys-playfield-pitch-over-56-degrees and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.