• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200921-122944 (resized).png
Screenshot_20200921-122903 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hello. I have a high pitched squeal coming from my Rob Zombie pin. I purchased it a few weeks ago and it didn’t make the squeal at the former owners house, but it does at mine. I think I isolated the issue. It appears to be the amp for the subwoofer. Simply put, if I turn it off the squeal goes away. If I leave the amp power on and unplug the audio cord to the amp, the squeal goes away. I believe it is a ground loop issue and I live in an older home. Here’s what I’ve done:

1. Tried different outlets, power strips, etc.
2. Played around with the positioning of the cables.
3. Tried a new audio cable.
4. Tried a ground loop isolator
5. Tried a different amp.

The only thing that has done anything is the ground loop isolator. It helps some but the squeal is still there.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to fix the issue? I’m at a bit of a loss. Thanks in advance.

#2 3 years ago

Have you checked the outlets in your house for correct polarity and or grounding?
A choke filter might help if you can find one right for your application.

This will take some more research, but it works in the radio world to eliminate a hum or whining noise.

Screenshot_20200921-122903 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200921-122903 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200921-122944 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200921-122944 (resized).png
#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballsoul:

Have you checked the outlets in your house for correct polarity and or grounding?

I have not but I have a feeling has to do something with the house. However, I have and have had other pins and never had the issue.

I’ll look into the choke filter.

Thank you.

#4 3 years ago

Is there a second speaker live in the cabinet that could be inducing feedback?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Is there a second speaker live in the cabinet that could be inducing feedback?

No. Not in the cabinet. I played around in the cabinet as best I could rearranging cords and the like and it hasn’t helped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

Wanted
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 20.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-get-rid-of-high-pitch-squeal-from-amp-sub-woofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.