• Latest reply 7 years ago by Insane
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sida (resized).jpg
paint (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VacFink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

It doesn't look to be a match. Its more than a transparency issue. If you had it match on the playfield or elsewhere it was reflecting back some other base color than white.

The original backbox red is much deeper and more neutral (meaning its reflecting back a little bit of green, likely grey or greenish yellow from the wood color itself.

You could try to build up opacity through more layers, but would get the color closer first, more layers of what you have would stand out more IMO.

The color also seem it could be shifting cool where the original is warmer, meaning the yellow is more lemon than golden. When you mix in some green try a little golden yellow and a warm blue, if you have a forest green that could work. Just a tiny bit, but if it gets 'muddy' with the red your using, its becuase cool and warm do not mix and look good. so you need a different red too. Its hard to tell with flash and lighting temp to be sure, but that's my guess.

#5 7 years ago

I took a look at the createx color chart and what they seem to have is a bright red in opaque, which is a primary red that is cool leaning. My guess is that's what your using. I don't see a range to mix there to get that color easily. If I had to guess, a tiny amount of black and if you can get it the transparent green. I've never used these paints out of the bottle, so hard to say. Your color is closer to the transparent deep red, if you can drop it over a perfect value of grey primer, that would work, as it would only reflect back the value through the transparency.

Edit:
5210 - Opaque Red seems a closer fit, is that what your using? Different sites seem to list different paints. Your photo looks closer to Bright Red maybe with a tiny drop of black might be close.
5040 Bloodline Coagulated Crimson is a close match too. If you don't want to mix at all, that's what I'd recommend over a primer grey.

Surprised to find airbrush paints are mostly primary colors. Checked a few brands. I'll have to experiment some time to see how much mixing can work.

#8 7 years ago

Add a tiny drop of black in the red and build up some more layers. I think you'll get closer. use a wide pattern and spray the direction of the stripe and stop feeding paint after the full length (assuming you have dual action airbrush) if you can't make it wide enough for the full width, make additional passes in the same direction with a small overlap. The overlap will be obvious at first, but will diminish as the paint thickens and becomes more opaque. Best to let it dry between passes or you may get runs or cracks.

When you mix in the black, mix a batch, put a drop of the mixed color on the masked tape near the original red. let it dry to see if its a match. You want to mix enough on the side to reload if needed, so use a small cup. just a tiny drop to start, mix well and test until it where you want. If it goes to far, add back in some more red, to bring it back up to hue.

If your unsure, mask off more area, and paint over tape until your happy, then try it on the stripe again with the same application.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from kiario:

Thanks, going to try our advise tonight.

If you have green and black, try the green first. I suggested black assuming you might have it, but like the video dr_nybble shared, neutralizing the color with green would work best.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VacFink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-get-paint-coverage-with-createx-on-backbox?tu=VacFink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.