6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I've owned this Captain Fantastic machine for 15 years. Now, it just went dead. When turned on, the playfield lights flickerand then go out just for a split second and nothing happens...no lights, no nothing. I think, maybe it's a fuse since just before it went dead, I turned the machine on and off, a few times, very fast by accident. I found 3 fuses in the coin door that look OK, but there may be fuses behind the backglass or where???. In any case, I can't figure out how to remove the backglass..there is no key slot on either side. I removed the back door but I don't seem to be able to access the backglass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from BrooklynBaller:

but there may be fuses behind the backglass or where???.

I doubt any back there. Check the floor of the cabinet next. Unplug the game if you check the AC coming in ones.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

All the fuses should be in the front of the cabinet (visible from coin door), or maybe attached to the bottom of the playfield (but that wouldn't be for lights).

On Ballys of this era, the fuse holders and connectors often go bad. Try pressing down on the fuses if they all test good with a meter (don't trust your eyes), and if anything changes, replace the fuse holders. Not sure on this exact game, but I would have expected four fuses, not three. Can you take a picture of the ones you found?

The backglass is removable by loosening and sliding back two bars on the inner top of the backbox, but the only need to ever remove it is for replacing burnt out lamps.

The playfield lights flicker and go out, but what about the backbox lights? Can you still start a game even though the lights are out?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

All the fuses should be in the front of the cabinet (visible from coin door), or maybe attached to the bottom of the playfield (but that wouldn't be for lights).
    On Ballys of this era, the fuse holders and connectors often go bad. Try pressing down on the fuses if they all test good with a meter (don't trust your eyes), and if anything changes, replace the fuse holders. Not sure on this exact game, but I would have expected four fuses, not three. Can you take a picture of the ones you found?
    The backglass is removable by loosening and sliding back two bars on the inner top of the backbox, but the only need to ever remove it is for replacing burnt out lamps.
    The playfield lights flicker and go out, but what about the backbox lights? Can you still start a game even though the lights are out?

Thank you for your answer, Zacaj. I got the game working by removing the fuse that is on the bottom of the board next to the plug as described in a previous post. I just removed it and cleaned it and replaced it and all is well. Thanks for telling me how to remove the back glass and all of your suggestions. This is why I love Pinside.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from BrooklynBaller:

I've owned this Captain Fantastic machine for 15 years. Now, it just went dead. When turned on, the playfield lights flickerand then go out just for a split second and nothing happens...no lights, no nothing. I think, maybe it's a fuse since just before it went dead, I turned the machine on and off, a few times, very fast by accident. I found 3 fuses in the coin door that look OK, but there may be fuses behind the backglass or where???. In any case, I can't figure out how to remove the backglass..there is no key slot on either side. I removed the back door but I don't seem to be able to access the backglass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I may be naive to these old games, however if it has batteries and you haven’t had back glass off in 15 yrs this could cause problems. Sometimes keyhole is on top of back box.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I may be naive to these old games, however if it has batteries and you haven’t had back glass off in 15 yrs this could cause problems. Sometimes keyhole is on top of back box.

No batteries on ems luckily

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-find-fuses-and-how-to-remove-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.