• Latest reply 11 years ago by textrivers
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1223.JPG
#1 11 years ago

It's baffling to me. My Gulfstream backbox display will light up one of a series of numbers, separated into 10's. On my machine this number seems to pop up randomly and has no connection to the final score. I was a kid in the late EM era and spent a lot of time at the arcade, but for the life of me, I can't remember what this is about.

Also, I assume the 100,000 indicator that is just visible in the photo, is to show when you have lapped the score reels. If so, my light must be burned out, because my son has turned it over and it never came on.

IMG_1223.JPGIMG_1223.JPG

#2 11 years ago

1) the "numbers" are for the "match feature"... i.e. if your last 2 digits match them, you won a free game...

2) the bulb could be burned out, or there could be something not triggering correctly, likely a switch on the 10'000's reel...

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

1) the "numbers" are for the "match feature"... i.e. if your last 2 digits match them, you won a free game...

2) the bulb could be burned out, or there could be something not triggering correctly, likely a switch on the 10'000's reel...

Ding Ding! We have a winner!
I think the match numbers still light after a game, no matter how the extra ball / relplay / novelty jones plugs are set.
Yes, the 100,000 should light when you roll over the score reels back to zero. That's a pretty good game of Gulfstream at that point! Feels great to do it.

#4 11 years ago

Williams of that era have a jones plug to disable match which will turn off the lights

--Jeff

#5 11 years ago

do you have the game set for-
Novelty, extra ball, or credit ?

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from gmohrs:

If so, my light must be burned out,

Take the bulb out and check it w/9volt battery (one term to base other to tip) or meter.
Could be a bad socket too.
Manually run the score up to check the operation after installing before putting B/G in saves aggravation.

#7 11 years ago

Ah, "match feature" is something I wasn't aware of. That clears that up, and I think, makes the game cooler! I honestly didn't remember that from the old days. Thanks! Since the game had been converted to free play, and the knocker coil's jones plug is disconnected, a free game is something that wouldn't be obvious. It plays as a extra ball machine. I have the knocker coil disconnected because when it's plugged in it just stays open and buzzes like crazy.

Also, I think I know the adjustment to the switch that need to make for the 10,000's reel. Thanks for mentioning that!

#8 11 years ago

^^^

the match was a gift from the pinball gods... if you'd fed the machine your last dime and there were no credits left on the reel, hearing that knocker go off after watching your last ball drain was a real rush...

fix the knocker... it is the best sound in pinball...

as far as the score reel goes... i'm a definite rookie here, but it seems to me that the great majority of issues with score reels are caused by good old grunge, and spending a few minutes taking it apart and cleaning it will make many problems go away... replacing any tired springs seems to be a good preventative maintenance item while you have it apart, they've been "used" a bazillion times and new ones are cheap... again, i'm a rookie, but if i've got something taken apart, i think it's wise to replace any inexpensive wear parts...

the small percentage that cleaning doesn't fix seems to always be the 9 and 0 switches...

#9 11 years ago

Gotta have the knocker - it's a cool sound!
I'm a rookie too & just replaced my knocker on my GS and IT WORKS!!

#10 11 years ago

Love Pinside for stuff like this! The match feature! Who knew?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

fix the knocker... it is the best sound in pinball...

Truth!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-figure-this-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.