(Topic ID: 7828)

Can't figure out this coil issue on my HULK

By Whridlsoncestood

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Ok so when I got this 2 weeks ago the only coil that worked was for the game to pop out the ball at the start. Drop targets had two coils both fried and the two out kickers were fried as well. All transistors on the boards for them were fried.

I performed all the system one grounds. Re pinned every molex connector. Added the remote battery and changed all fried transistors/diodes and resistors on driver board and under the playfield.

Last night new coils for the out kickers and drop targets came in. Replaced them and fired the game up. Both my out kickers now work but my drop targets don't and I have lost the one for the ball pop out on game start.

If I ground out the corresponding transistor on the driver board I can make all the coils fire properly. I am good from transistor to coils. All playfield wiring is good

I go back up to CPU board. Take a probe on +5 volts and touch pins 1-6 and 8-13 on chip Z6 and then pins 1-4 on chip Z7. I can make all the coils that work normally during game play fire on both pins paired to each coil. Neither pin of the pair for the drop targets or ball start will fire.

Clays guide says if one pin makes it fire and not the other z chip is bad. If both make it fire spider chip on CPU is fried and time for a pascal. If neither pin(my issue) fires the coil then check connectors from CPU to driver board. Which I have repinned and rechecked last night.

I scratched my head at this all last night. It couldn't be the Z chips being bad? Where in my line is the signal not working. I know if I bought a pascal all would be fine and dandy. I've come this far in bringing this game back from the dead and would hate to admit defeat now(But I do like the added features of the pascal board, like attract mode and high scores w/names)

Anyone with better system 1 knowledge point me in the right direction?

#2 12 years ago

I can't have stumped all of you system1 gurus!

#3 12 years ago

Two words: pascal board.

#4 12 years ago

Yeah I emailed him last night about the pi-x4. Wanted to know if I had to buy the additional sound board since hulk has the advanced sound tones beyond the three chimes or if I can still use the original connected to the pascal

I really do like all the features the pascal board offers. Brings the game ahead a few years. Seperates it a bit more from EM machines

#5 12 years ago

I believe big daddy is havign an Alltek board sale this weekend free shipping? not much but something.
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Yeah I emailed him last night about the pi-x4. Wanted to know if I had to buy the additional sound board since hulk has the advanced sound tones beyond the three chimes or if I can still use the original connected to the pascal

I really do like all the features the pascal board offers. Brings the game ahead a few years. Seperates it a bit more from EM machines

I'd say get the optional sound pcb when you order. I believe it plugs into the p1X4 pcb and does all the system 1 games advanced sounds.It is not too much more price wise and you'll save on shipping versus ordering one later.
I have ordered every product from pascal except the system 80 CPU because it doesn't do Volcano yet.
Every PCB is top quality both in construction and design. One feature is a circuit that senses excessive current draw through the coil circuits and automatically shuts down the circuit. Very well engineered and you can't go wrong with any of Pascal's products.
Again highly recommended and Pascal is always very helpful!!!

#7 12 years ago

How long did it take to get your board once you ordered?

#8 12 years ago

And how do you order? Nothing on his site. Just order with him through email?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-figure-out-this-could-issue-on-my-hulk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.